Ecosmart Dimmable LED bulbs

Why are some supposedly dimmable Ecosmart bulbs just fine with compatible dimmer switches and others not?

Wife wanted to try different color 60W bulbs in the new bar counter fixtures. Initial Ecosmart bulbs were fine, just too yellow warm. Next Ecosmart bulbs were more cool, but just a hair not quite there. All these worked perfectly fine in the fixture, with the dimmer switch.

Third we try the DAYLIGHT color, same bulb, same "60W" equivalent and they flicker like CRAZY with dimmer.

What gives? Just lousy LEDs in the bulbs?? Is this common?

Why are some supposedly dimmable Ecosmart bulbs just fine with compatible dimmer switches and others not?

Wife wanted to try different color 60W bulbs in the new bar counter fixtures. Initial Ecosmart bulbs were fine, just too yellow warm. Next Ecosmart bulbs were more cool, but just a hair not quite there. All these worked perfectly fine in the fixture, with the dimmer switch.

Third we try the DAYLIGHT color, same bulb, same "60W" equivalent and they flicker like CRAZY with dimmer.

What gives? Just lousy LEDs in the bulbs?? Is this common?
flickering = not dimmable...

I'm not a huge fan of dimmable leds unless you need them on a dimmer, the colour always seems a bit off to me. I guess because the ones I tried have a combination of white leds (only used at full power) and yellowish leds to mimic the warm glow of dimmed incandescent. The result is a greenish tint at full power.

They flickered even though they are spec'd to be compatible with dimmers?

The drivers and associated electronics are junk on these bulbs. The LEDs themselves may last forever, but the stuff that makes them light up definitely will not. I've had so many name brand LED "bulbs" not even last as long as an incandescent would many years ago.

They flickered even though they are spec'd to be compatible with dimmers?

The drivers and associated electronics are junk on these bulbs. The LEDs themselves may last forever, but the stuff that makes them light up definitely will not. I've had so many name brand LED "bulbs" not even last as long as an incandescent would many years ago.

me too, it turns out to be cheaper to use incandescent. But cfl lasts and if gotten for pennies outperforms everything regarding total coo.

Most dimmers rapidly switch the power on and off. I guess the results depend on the individual dimmer and how that works.

I've got some direct-wire LED tubes. The first set I got was dimmable but only rated for 110-120V AC. But the second set on the same switch is rated for 100-240V AC. The dimmable one turns on almost immediately, but the non-dimmable one with a wider voltage range takes a half second or so before turning on.

Most dimmers rapidly switch the power on and off. I guess the results depend on the individual dimmer and how that works.

I've got some direct-wire LED tubes. The first set I got was dimmable but only rated for 110-120V AC. But the second set on the same switch is rated for 100-240V AC. The dimmable one turns on almost immediately, but the non-dimmable one with a wider voltage range takes a half second or so before turning on.
may have to do with "in rush current".. the bulbs rated 100-240v could have larger capacitors or just the design of their circuitry.

I'm not a huge fan of dimmable leds unless you need them on a dimmer, the colour always seems a bit off to me.
Consider this then: Make the bathroom ultra bright, with the right color temperature, high quality LED bulbs, maybe 3500K. Put them all on a dimmer.

During morning when the sun brightly shines in the window, crank up the LED's to full output. The lighting will be perfect, with all areas properly bright, no shadows.

Late at night, dim them for less illumination. Same color temp, same feel, but they don't fry the retinas when entering the bathroom. In other words, I like that they don't turn orange when dimmed.

Consider this then: Make the bathroom ultra bright, with the right color temperature, high quality LED bulbs, maybe 3500K. Put them all on a dimmer.

During morning when the sun brightly shines in the window, crank up the LED's to full output. The lighting will be perfect, with all areas properly bright, no shadows.

Late at night, dim them for less illumination. Same color temp, same feel, but they don't fry the retinas when entering the bathroom. In other words, I like that they don't turn orange when dimmed.

I know what you mean, and I'm saying the iones that do turn orange seem to have a green glow when on full brightness

I've had so many name brand LED "bulbs" not even last as long as an incandescent would many years ago.
Definitely not my experience with LEDs. I had a house from 2018-2022 with at least 50 can lights, all builder grade (read: cheap) LEDs. I had one go out in 4 years.

That's just one example, I can think of many others.

Reactions: JTK
I believe there are different types of dimmers. I Imagine I have the older style dimmer that came with my home built in 07 since it only likes incandescent bulbs and would flicker with dimmable led's.

The new ones should work with everything so maybe replace it. I don't run those dimmable incandescents long so I don't mind the added power usage of them enough to change it.

Definitely not my experience with LEDs. I had a house from 2018-2022 with at least 50 can lights, all builder grade (read: cheap) LEDs. I had one go out in 4 years.

That's just one example, I can think of many others.
Just curious if yours were purpose built LED fixtures or fixtures fitted with LED screw-in Edison bulbs. It's the screw-in "light bulb" LEDs that I am referring to. I find them to be junk, just like the final iterations of CFLs were.

Just curious if yours were purpose built LED fixtures or fixtures fitted with LED screw-in Edison bulbs. It's the screw-in "light bulb" LEDs that I am referring to. I find them to be junk, just like the final iterations of CFLs were.
They were all screw-ins.

However that said, I recently put up purpose built combo trim/LED lights at my current house, found they were not any more expensive at the jungle river site, and had more lumens. The wife decreed that the builder supplied black trims had to go. So they did.

Reactions: JTK
Back