Recessed LED bulbs - flickering and burning out prematurely.

I have had Cree brand LED retrofit can lights all throughout my house since 2012, still work fine.

Two rooms have dimmers, I used a Lutron dimmer listed as compatible with LED lights.

So have had a recurring issue with a set of recessed can lights in my kitchen that just kills LED bulbs, in 4 years I have mowed through 9 bulbs. These are kitchen lights so they don't get a ton of usage, figure maybe 2 hours per day. These are original build fixtures from 2000 so they were most likely meant for incandescent bulbs, when I bought the place all 4 bulbs were different wattages and color temps and it drove me bonkers so I switched all of them out for LED BR20 bulbs that were dimmable and installed a dimmer switch.

The lights are fine when they are new with no flickering. Well after some time they start a very minor flickering which progressively gets worse then they just kick the bucket, I have not really paid attention to how long they are lasting but guessing maybe two years average based on the 9 bulbs I have gone through. Two are flickering again so I know it's time to go get another box of bulbs as failure is imminent. Yeah I am buying the cheapest bulbs at Home Depot but I can't imagine 3 separate boxes being bought years apart to be defective.

Home Depot BR20 LED bulbs

Any ideas? My only thought is something with the dimmer switch is causing these problems but I really like having a dimmer on this circuit as even at 50 W equivalent these things are incredibly bright so its nice for late night kitchen snacks/drinks to be able to tone down the light a little bit.

Thanks in advance!
That's the problem, using absolutely bottom of the barrel led bulbs from Home Cheapo. I only purchased Cree or GE bulbs. If you compare the Cree and GE bulbs, they are like a brick as compared to "value " priced bulbs. The heat sinks and wiring is the biggest issue, cheap bulbs cook themselves and go out in short time.

I’ve had bad luck with LED bulbs in enclosed fixtures meant for incandescent bulbs. I recently replaced one fixture with one that has built in LED lights. Much brighter and hopefully it will last for many years. Downside is that the whole fixture has to be replaced if the LEDs burn out.
Even though LEDs make less heat 99% of them aren’t designed to be in a recessed enclosure or even mounted upside down

I had a bunch of electric company, subsidized BR30 bulbs in recessed, open bottom cans which also did this, with no dimmer involved. Think it was a combination of the heat, and that specific bulb driver design. Think they were either TCP or Newleaf brand, or maybe GE but I can't find that receipt to figure out when they offered the GE.

They would also flicker but not constantly, more like run then blink once for close to a second off, wait a few minutes and blink again, then it became more and more frequent blinking till they failed. I assumed it was a thermal cutoff component that had a short number of trigger cycles but impossible to practically autopsy as the entire driver was potted in compound and knowing the failure mode didn't change anything, I wasn't about to repair several bulbs that cost between $0 and $1 each. Just got more subsidized bulbs the next time the electric co. offered them, though I think they have now ended that program, haven't gotten any promos in the mail from them in a long time.

Last edited:
Back