Economy Dino Oil's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I am still quite new to all this oil stuff - I posted UOA's for my Silverado and Tundra in the UOA forum, which leads me to these questions:

1. When comparing cheaper dino oils (i.e. Formula Shell, Valvoline, Petro-Canada, Quaker State, Pennzoil, etc...) is there any that really stand out above the others? Around here they all sell for $22-26/5L jug. I currently use FS because I get a discount and pay about $20/5L. Right now Walmart has Valvoline 5w30 on sale for $9.97/5L - seems like a great deal.

2. The silverao specs 5w30, Tundra 5w20 - I'm wondering if I could get away with running 5w30 in both to make things simpler (one less oil to stock)? what are your thoughts?

Pennzoil generally stands above the rest for their additive packages. Tons of great results from Pennzoil and Shell.

I am a Valvoline fan but I lean more towards Max Life myself, because of the additive package. So whenever I buy Valvoline I usually pick up Max Life.

Kendall is also a really great oil and is on sale at Alco right now for $2.99/qt. (do you have Alco up there?)

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Pennzoil generally stands above the rest

I disagree, there are many good dinos out there. I think that Pennzoil shears more than other dinos and avoid it for that reason.

I like Mobil Super myself. Excellent UOA results, 9.0 TBN. I think it's marketed different in Canada, though, so whatever they call their 5000 mile dino up there
smile.gif

We dont have Alco around here. I haven't come across Kendall oil anywhere either (but I havent been specifically looking for it so maybe I just didn't notice it). Does anyone know where to buy Kendall oil in Canada?

What about Petro-Canada oil? Is it available in the States? I have always been lead to believe it is a high quality oil but have no facts to prove this.

$9.97 for 5 liters of Valvoline?

You have your answer. Stock up and never look back. Follow the manual for OCIs and you are good to go and as well protected as ANY other oil.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

You have your answer. Stock up and never look back. Follow the manual for OCIs and you are good to go and as well protected as ANY other oil.

Bill

Agreed. Sure, use 5-30 for both. Buy a couple cases and don't worry about this for awhile.

As to the differences they change over time. Formula Shell used to wear out quickly but it doesn't seem to anymore. Valvoline always has bland middle of the road numbers for their VOA's but the UOA's always come back great. PYB has fantastic add pack per VOA but the UOA's never seem that much better than anything else IMO.

EDIT: 5000 miles? Won't matter. I wouldn't do any more UOA's for that short either.

Last edited:
Of all of them, I would go with Petro Canada, and it is available in the US. You can check their site for distributors.

I've used all the others also with no hassles. Currently using Valvoline. (been a long time fan myself)

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Bill

Agreed. Sure, use 5-30 for both. Buy a couple cases and don't worry about this for awhile.

As to the differences they change over time. Formula Shell used to wear out quickly but it doesn't seem to anymore. Valvoline always has bland middle of the road numbers for their VOA's but the UOA's always come back great. PYB has fantastic add pack per VOA but the UOA's never seem that much better than anything else IMO.

EDIT: 5000 miles? Won't matter. I wouldn't do any more UOA's for that short either.

Yeah, thats what I thought too, but if you check out the two UOA's I posted using Formula Shell(Silverado @3,824mi, Tundra @ 4,161mi) they are both pretty much done for. I expected the results to be better.

Originally Posted By: Brons2

I disagree, there are many good dinos out there. I think that Pennzoil shears more than other dinos and avoid it for that reason.

I like Mobil Super myself. Excellent UOA results, 9.0 TBN. I think it's marketed different in Canada, though, so whatever they call their 5000 mile dino up there
smile.gif

Mobil Super is some good oil. Although the TBN is not 9.0. All the VOAs posted has a tbn of 7.7-8.1 fwiw.

Ya, hard to go wrong with that Valvoline deal.

My preference as well would be Petro-Canada. Their offerings are pretty good and decently priced if you buy at a distributor.

Oh and welcome on board!

Originally Posted By: gap599
1. When comparing cheaper dino oils (i.e. Formula Shell, Valvoline, Petro-Canada, Quaker State, Pennzoil, etc...) is there any that really stand out above the others? Around here they all sell for $22-26/5L jug. I currently use FS because I get a discount and pay about $20/5L. Right now Walmart has Valvoline 5w30 on sale for $9.97/5L - seems like a great deal.

Walmart regularly has deals on all the usual suspects. Valvoline, PYB, and QSGB are all regularly rolled back there, as is Supertech. Note that our Supertech is different than the American Supertechs offered.

Petro-Canada oil is fine, too, and can be bought with Petro-Points at the station and at a likely reasonable price at the distributor. Heck, I've got enough Petro-Points for four conventional oil changes.

If you like Mobil products, RCWC has Mobil Super 1000 in a good price in 1 L bottles and Mobil 1 at a respectable price in the 4.4 L jug. For whatever reason, the conventional is cheaper if you buy by the 1 L bottle; the synthetic is cheaper by the big jug.

Originally Posted By: volk06

smile.gif

Mobil Super is some good oil. Although the TBN is not 9.0. All the VOAs posted has a tbn of 7.7-8.1 fwiw.

PQIA had SN Mobil Super at 9.0:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html

SM was All variations on mediocre -though I liked MC5K though it sheared as did most. I just substituted some 10w40 to up the HTHS into a safe range.
FS had big moly and a nice velvety feel at low rpm - though that same oil seemed to clog rings. In the EJ subarus, a gallon of Rotella triple protect 10w30 and a balance of FS 5w30 was a magic elixir never to be outdone by any single unblended oil.

From my 2010 ford ranger notebook on 5w20 oils:
I find the new MS5K too viscous with a "marginal in-practice" cold flow. QSGB SN seemed like a picture perfect "dictionary definition" dino oil with good cold startup but no outstanding other attributes. C-P Motorcraft oil has a real slickery feel like its LOADED with friction modifiers but not a great cold flow and not great at keeping the motor unstuck; Seems to post best MPG.

I think only the finest boutique syn oil are near faultless and they arent ILSAC approval. You need to add moly or zddp if you wring the engine out hard and often as phos adds get depleted very quickly under stress.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06

smile.gif

PQIA had SN Mobil Super at 9.0:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresults3a.html

That test is almost 3 years old, Dec 2009 and the OLD version of mobil clean 5000 SM, not Mobil Super 5000 SN.

PQIA has the new SN at a TBN of 7.3

http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html

Last edited:

Bill

Right!
Stop reading and go right now! Buy it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back