ECOGARD X-241 CUT OPEN

Again, Efficiency is still good on these filters but OVERALL quality wins in my mind any day of the year. Efficiency is nice to have but if the filter looks like it's pleats have been spread apart, glue flung all over the filter, & cheapening of products in the market then it's no bueno.
At the end of the day, it's always the efficiency that gets the most weight in my book. I mean I'd rather run a non-wire backed Ultra that's 99% @ 20u (or any decent filter that's 95% @ 20u to 99% @ 25u or better), and have it come out with some wavy pleats than run a filter that's 99% @ 40+ microns (which is in the 50% @ 20u range) that comes out with laser straight pleats. After all, the main purpose of an oil filter in my book is to keep the oil cleaner than not, and not to win a beauty contest after doing it's job.

At the end of the day, it's always the efficiency that gets the most weight in my book. I mean I'd rather run a non-wire backed Ultra that's 99% @ 20u (or any decent filter that's 95% @ 20u to 99% @ 25u or better), and have it come out with some wavy pleats than run a filter that's 99% @ 40+ microns (which is in the 50% @ 20u range) that comes out with laser straight pleats. After all, the main purpose of an oil filter in my book is to keep the oil cleaner than not, and not to win a beauty contest after doing it's job.
If you put clean oil in the engine you don't need that excessive filtration... uh duh 😆

If you put clean oil in the engine you don't need that excessive filtration... uh duh 😆
Put on a hollow filter can and just change oil every 500-750 miles ... after full break-in of course. :LOL:

Now in full disclosure didn’t you just dump MC for MG?
Readers need to know..

Didn't you just buy a MicroGard... Busted! :ROFLMAO:

Now in full disclosure didn’t you just dump MC for MG?
Readers need to know..
Didn't you just buy a MicroGard... Busted! :ROFLMAO:
LoL ... you guys wouldn't make very good investigators, lol. What did I say above, and what's the efficiency of the Motorcraft and the MicroGard Select. Do the math. :LOL: ;) Not to mention the louver factor/comments I made in other threads about the Motorcraft.

These are frequently snapped up on line for 2 to 3 dollars, making them quite attractive.
I got a stash for $2.50 each for a bunch of Hondas I maintain, then felt they were too cheap to be any good, but still using them anyway. Without going deeper into analysis of doubt and self-loathing, I am wondering if the Amazon cheapies are the same or close to the jobber item in the OP?

LoL ... you guys wouldn't make very good investigators, lol. What did I say above, and what's the efficiency of the Motorcraft and the MicroGard Select. Do the math. :LOL: Not to mention the louver factor/comments I made in other threads about the Motorcraft.
Read it twice, You went from, probably, a lower efficiency filter to MG w/higher efficiency. The question was TG vs PG basically & Overall quality still wins! ;) Granted some TG's look great but I'd feel like I'd have to look in the box & check it out before purchasing. I'd not worry about that if buying a PG filter due to their consistent quality. I'm sure that's what got your interest in buying a MG was the overall quality including it's efficiency which makes them one of the best buys around right now. Especially, not having to pay real high prices on some of these.

No explanation needed ... the MicroGard Select is a better filter than the Motorcraft for reasons I've posted in a few different threads. 😜

No explanation needed ... the MicroGard Select is a better filter than the Motorcraft for reasons I've posted in a few different threads. 😜
We can read between the lines... You didn't go buy one of your beloved super duper high efficient Fram's then & decided to buy a MG w/less efficiency. The overall quality was irresistible. 😄

Read it twice, You went from, probably, a lower efficiency filter to MG w/higher efficiency. The question was TG vs PG basically & Overall quality still wins! ;) Granted some TG's look great but I'd feel like I'd have to look in the box & check it out before purchasing. I'd not worry about that if buying a PG filter due to their consistent quality. I'm sure that's what got your interest in buying a MG was the overall quality including it's efficiency which makes them one of the best buys around right now. Especially, not having to pay real high prices on some of these.
What I posted in post 41 is going to read the same no matter how many times you read it. I wasn't addressing TG vs PG. In my book, efficiency has the highest weight factor when buying oil filters. If I was comparing the TG to a regular PG, then the TG would win because of the efficiency difference. Yes, I bought the MircoGard Select based on many factors, and it's efficiency of 99% @ 25u meets my efficiency requirements as said in post 41. The MGS is more efficiency than the Motorcraft, and made better, without louvers too ... so it's a win-win-win in all aspects.

Last edited:
We can read between the lines... You didn't go buy one of your beloved super duper high efficient Fram's then & decided to buy a MG w/less efficiency. The overall quality was irresistible. 😄
Not totally, but I can't complain about the build quality of the MGS. But the main reason was the Fram is now using louvers in the Ultra and I've decided I don't want to mess with louvers anymore. If they used an eCore with metal end caps, I'd like that better than the crap-shoot louver game. I could inspect Ultras at the store, but that means breaking the box seals which I don't really want to do, and I don't want to buy it first then open the box and find that I don't like the louvers and have to exchange it and play that game.

As far as the non-wire backed media, I don't really care as long as the pleats don't tear (which they don't), and I could care less if the pleats are a little "wavy" after use. I've seen wavy pleats on all different brand of filters I've used, including Motorcrafts.

Last edited:
Waiting for them to start using louvers in the Tough Guard next. 😱

The TG I posted today looked better than I expected.
Probably will since the same center tube is most likely used across all lines of the same model numbered filter.

Back