ecoboost longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I'm looking to get into another crew cab 4x4 truck soon. Looking at both new and used trucks. Want and ecoboost truck, but if I can't find one for a decent price I may just buy a 5.0l f150 or a new RAM express with the hemi and 8spd as they can be bought for about 32k ish right now. I however really don't want a payment so I'm looking at spending 20-24k cash. How many of you are getting high Miles on your ecoboost trucks? Any owners that can chime in?

It should be noted that of the three Egoboosters we owned in our family, all 3.5's, no serious engine problems were reported at all. All were traded by 70k miles or so, so no high miles.

From what I know all the problems have been solved, they were mostly driveability issues.

As long as I could verify the maintenance history I would not hesitate to buy a used one...

I think the only real issues were the inter coolers filling up with water from people not using it hard. And fuel dilution, but that doesn't seem to affect engine life ...

In my research to make my engine choice I looked at both the 5.0 and eco and decided on the 5.0.

There are some guys with the eco that have in excess of 100k problem free miles, and agree with SteveSRT8 that most of the problems have been solved. There are still a few with issues here and there.

The thing with the eco is that the mpg figures aren't reached by most, from what I've read. There are some folks that are knocking back 24mpg on long trips. But it is rated 21 highway -- most are only getting mid teens. But that could of course just be some guys enjoying the power.
19.gif

I can say that for mine, at 60 mph on a 4+ hour trip I've gotten 21mpg. That figure drops to 17-18 at 70+, so the F150 is greatly affected by wind resistance at high speeds. It gets 13-15 around town with lots of short tripping.

Last edited:
I'm just a 39 year old kid. Who loves cars and anything motor related. My first 2 cars were Ford Thunderbird Turbo Couples (1988's). And as a result of that, I've always had an affection for spooled engines.

HOWEVER, now that I'm a little bit more mature and $$$$ savvy, you couldn't get me to buy a used Ecoboost. NO WAY.

If you are like SteveSTR8 who's family purchased them new and got rid of them by 70k miles, you wouldn't have a problem. But buying one used, saying starting at 70-120k miles on it....NO WAY.

And my stance is only based on observation. If you are looking to buy a used vehicle, most people tend to hold onto these until they are long in the tooth. And buying a turbo-charged GASOLINE engine, let alone a truck, is just counter-intuitive because you can't find me very many, if any at all, turbo-charged GASOLINE powered autos with over 175k miles. And if you do find the occasional car with that many miles or more, you can usually purchase it for less than $1000.

Now, UNLESS you are counting on the fact that Ford, for the very first time in automotive history, has made the first turbo-charged gasoline engine to last 200k+ miles, I wouldn't buy one. If you are confident that Ford finally figured it out and these engines will last like a typical engine, then go ahead and buy one.

I'm not convinced that they are the first ones to get it right.

I expect all the Ecoboost fanboys, or just Ford boys, to give me a lashing. But that's OK. No one wants to admit they just dumped $35k into a truck that probably can't make it past middle age.

Last edited:
I wonder if the NA 5.0 would do better with the sedate driving which may lead to the water issue. If one is prone to more spirited driving then the EB would be fine. Me, I wouldn't drive my EB very hard so I'd be concerned about that.

Probably can't go wrong either way. Whichever is cheaper to buy is probably best.

Aaa
Originally Posted By: Phishin
I'm just a 39 year old kid. Who loves cars and anything motor related. My first 2 cars were Ford Thunderbird Turbo Couples (1988's). And as a result of that, I've always had an affection for spooled engines.

HOWEVER, now that I'm a little bit more mature and $$$$ savvy, you couldn't get me to buy a used Ecoboost. NO WAY.

If you are like SteveSTR8 who's family purchased them new and got rid of them by 70k miles, you wouldn't have a problem. But buying one used, saying starting at 70-120k miles on it....NO WAY.

And my stance is only based on observation. If you are looking to buy a used vehicle, most people tend to hold onto these until they are long in the tooth. And buying a turbo-charged GASOLINE engine, let alone a truck, is just counter-intuitive because you can't find me very many, if any at all, turbo-charged GASOLINE powered autos with over 175k miles. And if you do find the occasional car with that many miles or more, you can usually purchase it for less than $1000.

Now, UNLESS you are counting on the fact that Ford, for the very first time in automotive history, has made the first turbo-charged gasoline engine to last 200k+ miles, I wouldn't buy one. If you are confident that Ford finally figured it out and these engines will last like a typical engine, then go ahead and buy one.

I expect all the Ecoboost fanboys, or just Ford boys, to give me a lashing. But that's OK. No one wants to admit they just dumped $35k into a truck that probably can't make it past middle age.

I think there are plenty of Saabs and Volvos with turbos that have gone way beyond 200K....VWs too.

Note that only one, owned by my FIL, was gotten rid of due to customer dissatisfaction. The other two were liked and just traded in after a couple of years service. My FIL's unit averaged about 17 mpg, as did the rest of them.

Very nice engine, smooth and very powerful. But quite thirsty when used hard, that's for sure.

But the last line I typed above is a real hard guideline for me. If the maintenance history was not available, I'm with you on this as a used car...

I'm a Ford fan boy and I agree with you.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I'm a Ford fan boy and I agree with you.
wink.gif

I agree. Too soon and untested.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Im still shopping around. I love the idea of an ecoboost truck, but they are super expensive even with miles on them. I plan to keep my eyes open. Im not brand loyal, so im open to a ford or a Ram. I previously have owned a Ram with a hemi and a 5.4l 3v f150 before that and they both were excellent trucks. Im not a fan of the silverado look, or the tundra either so i likely wont purchase one of those even though they are great trucks as well. I love my Armadas 5.6l engine, but the Titan is way outdated so i have no interest in one of those either. I know i can get into a very nice 2010 5.4l F150 with low miles in my budget, but i really want at least an 11 model. I'll keep the board updated if i find one a good buy.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. Im still shopping around. I love the idea of an ecoboost truck, but they are super expensive even with miles on them. I plan to keep my eyes open. Im not brand loyal, so im open to a ford or a Ram. I previously have owned a Ram with a hemi and a 5.4l 3v f150 before that and they both were excellent trucks. Im not a fan of the silverado look, or the tundra either so i likely wont purchase one of those even though they are great trucks as well. I love my Armadas 5.6l engine, but the Titan is way outdated so i have no interest in one of those either. I know i can get into a very nice 2010 5.4l F150 with low miles in my budget, but i really want at least an 11 model. I'll keep the board updated if i find one a good buy.

I'm a Ford guy but would probably buy a Ram.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I however really don't want a payment so I'm looking at spending 20-24k cash. How many of you are getting high Miles on your ecoboost trucks? Any owners that can chime in?

What is considered high miles? I paid $30k for my 2011 F150 Supercrew Lariat 4x4 with 43k on it. That was back in January so I'd imagine it's cheaper now. And if you wanted an XLT or something I'd imagine that may be in your ballpark.

I'm not one that fears electronics or modern technology at all. In all my vehicles the electronics are the last to fail. And I love the comforts. Electronics don't scare me one bit!

As far as longevity - the engine has been around since mid 2009 in the car/crossover lines (Flex, MKT, SHO, MKS) and problems are few and far between there. They are a well built engine and are built more like a Diesel than a gas engine. I have no question mine will make it to 150+k. One is 1/2 way there now!

I'm also active on F150online.com and there are guys that have well into the 100-125k without issues. Ford tested them out to 150k (same as everything else) and initial reports are that they hold up well.

As others have noted the main issue is the water in the CAC that can cause issues. The latest programming from Ford seems to have fixed that. And if you get an 11 I'd get it into the dealer for the latest flash.

There are reports of tuners causing blown engines so I'd avoid that but that's the same with most vehicles.

I'd not hesitate to buy one with 50-75k on it. If it bothers you, pick up a Ford ESP from one of the on-line dealers out to whatever mileage you want. That way you are covered if something goes south.

As with anything check maintenance records, have a Ford dealer run an OASIS report to see if it was a "problem child" and if it was pass. If not, have at it.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Aaa

I think there are plenty of Saabs and Volvos with turbos that have gone way beyond 200K....VWs too.

+1 I don't know about Saab's since I don't see them but once in a blue moon by put Volvos will run 200k easy strong.

And my stance is only based on observation. If you are looking to buy a used vehicle, most people tend to hold onto these until they are long in the tooth. And buying a turbo-charged GASOLINE engine, let alone a truck, is just counter-intuitive because you can't find me very many, if any at all, turbo-charged GASOLINE powered autos with over 175k miles.

There were about 8.2 bazillion Chrysler 2.2 Turbo I engines with that many miles on them crawling the nation's highways back in the late 80s through late 90s. And probably quite a few Turbo II's made it that far as well, though I'd wager not a single Turbo IV (Spirit R/T, Daytona IROC R/T) did... but not because of the turbo, because of the Lotus-derived head casting. :-/

I hit post before I was done...

My point is that its FAR from the first boosted gasoline engine to be capable of 200k miles or more... BUT, given the choice I'd pick a used V8 over a used Ecoboost. Buying new is a little different- you've got warranty, and you know how its been treated, and Ford has made a pretty good case that it does fine if you use it HARD but take care of it properly. Used opens a new kettle of fish because Ford obviously can't prove how light use and *time* (age, corrosion, brittle rubber and electrical parts, etc.) are going to affect components. Combining that with a relatively new and relatively complex engine... makes me think twice.

And the efficiency really isn't that much to boast about either, if you actually USE the power. My lowly 4.7L Ram gets about the same highway mileage (I've seen 23, but usually more like 20) and has almost the same power with a lot less complexity.

PABLUM! Just off the top of my head...my Shelby Charger was over 230K. My friend had over 200K on his Volvo 740; the Caravan that replaced it had 280,000+ when it was hit. I worked with a dude with 200K on a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Before it came out for the stroker, my wife had ~160K on the stock engine in her Grand National...and ran mid-11's with that 150,000+ mile long-block!

And, of course, it took all of five minutes to find turbo cars with
183k,221k,239K,180k,188k, 189k, 237k, and an eye-popping 277,704 miles.

I have few concerns about boosted vehicles making 200k+ miles easily when purchased new and maintained well.

Ecoboost longevity is simple just as any other engine. Maintenance and how it's driven with a few other values. 95% of ecoboost bashers never has owned one or even driven one. To say that this engine is 150,000 mile engine is -well false. I have owned an f150 ecoboost for over two years and have been very satisfied. No problems and my fuel mileage is awesome with long trips usually 22-24 mug and combined city and hwy 17.5 to 19. I would have been just as satisfied probably if I had bought a dodge or chevy truck. All have there strong and weak points. If looking at ford fear not the 5.0 or the ecoboost. Both are great engine but if u want more power and torque with slightly better fuel mileage ecoboost is it but it also carries higher price tag. Good luck on ur truck search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back