EcoBoost/GDI Engines and Short Trips

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of getting a new Ford Edge, The standard engine is now the 2.0l Ecoboost which seems to get pretty good reviews. My normal week is driving to the train station about 3 miles each way. I usually jump on the parkway for about 2 miles and the coolant just hits normal temp in the winter just before I park, but I'm sure the oil has not.

On weekends I drive errands and longer trips at highway speed so everything gets to normal operating temperature.

How will the Ecoboost or for that matter, any GDI engine fare with this type of short trip driving, or will it get more gunked up than a port injected? My current vehicle is a '06 Mazda Tribute with the 3.0l Duratec V6.

Should I consider the 3.5 V6? It gets pretty [censored] mileage, not as much low end torque and if you ever need to change the water pump, it's practically pull the engine from the car $$$. On a brief test drive, I really liked the 2.0l better. Anyone have a new 2.0l Edge? Thoughts?

Maybe oil changes every 3000 miles with a good conventional or syn-blend?

Thanks

Oil changes won't help since the oil would be practically new coming out, but likely fuel dilution would be an issue. Start-up wear would be the killer and that won't change unless you'd drive further...

You should consider an electric car for that commute. Prime candidate.

The issue with Ford EcoBoost in general is that they don't seem to come close to EPA mileage estimates in real-world driving. Looking at Fuelly.com it doesn't seem there's much difference in actual mileage between the 2.0 and 3.5. So maybe fuel economy shouldn't be the driver in your decision.

Both engines will come with a oil life monitor, supposedly tuned to the needs of each engine, so,you could rely on that and change at 30 or 40% if it worries you.

To me, the 3.5 would seem the more durable, less-fussy choice with less concern about fuel dilution. But who knows?

I see no issues if you can toss in a good 10+ mile highway drive every week or so. The OLM will guide your oil changes. Ed

Last edited:
Buy the Ecoboost. Drive it as you would anything else and change oil per OLM or adjust if you fall under severe service, using whatever spec Ford recommendeds. That new Edge is sharp.

Originally Posted By: Danh
The issue with Ford EcoBoost in general is that they don't seem to come close to EPA mileage estimates in real-world driving. Looking at Fuelly.com it doesn't seem there's much difference in actual mileage between the 2.0 and 3.5. So maybe fuel economy shouldn't be the driver in your decision.

Both engines will come with a oil life monitor, supposedly tuned to the needs of each engine, so,you could rely on that and change at 30 or 40% if it worries you.

To me, the 3.5 would seem the more durable, less-fussy choice with less concern about fuel dilution. But who knows?

I guess Ford didn't get that memo with our 2. Both do better than rated.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Buy the Ecoboost. Drive it as you would anything else and change oil per OLM or adjust if you fall under severe service, using whatever spec Ford recommendeds. That new Edge is sharp.

This is my gut feeling also. Severe service intervals and just drive it.

Originally Posted By: brandini
Oil changes won't help since the oil would be practically new coming out, but likely fuel dilution would be an issue. Start-up wear would be the killer and that won't change unless you'd drive further...

You should consider an electric car for that commute. Prime candidate.

Can't justify the electric-only as this vehicle needs to be able to do 3-400 mile trips on occasion along with commuting and Home Depot duty. My Mustang is a summer-tire fair weather car...not so great in the winter.

An alternative is Mustang GT with winter tires
smile.gif
Better then Edge with AWD/all-seasons and hoot to drive/hoon on snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back