Eco, normal, sport modes; difference? Does it matter?

Many newer vehicles seem to have these different modes to select (For example, 2021 Toyota RAV4). What does it do? I assume change shift points a bit; anything else? Is there any significant difference between them in terms of mileage, performance, drivetrain abuse, etc.?

On my Mazda 6 changing to Sport mode changes the shift points, makes the shifts a little firmer, and changes how the drive-by-wire throttle responds to throttle input from the accelerator pedal. It responds much faster to pedal input.

Fuel economy def goes down as the shift points are much higher so the engine RPM doesn't go down. I doubt there's much abuse going on though.

On my 21 Honda HRV I run it in eco mode... It adjust the acceleration...and the AC to get the best fuel econ... I have a sport mode that lets you use paddle shifters on you steering wheel..I have not tried that yet..

Many newer vehicles seem to have these different modes to select (For example, 2021 Toyota RAV4). What does it do? I assume change shift points a bit; anything else? Is there any significant difference between them in terms of mileage, performance, drivetrain abuse, etc.?
On my 2015 BMW.
ECO
- Activates stop/start
- Throttles back the A/C (cycles the compressor is my guess)
- What I can best describe as short shifting the transmission.
- Unlocks the torque converter when coasting. The official term is "Sailing" and it feels like you're in neutral.

SPORT
- Firms up steering effort.
- Raises, in terms of RPM, the shift points.
- Dampening changes (if equipped).

Eco - upshifts sooner, feels like its lugging to a certain extent. Trans is more sluggish, and the throttle by wire is less responsive.
Sport: downshifts much sooner, moves the shift points to to higher RPMS, the throttle by wire is more sensitive, holds gears and engine brakes.
Tow Haul- move the shift points to higher rpms, activates a downshift with a tap of the brakes, t gears with two taps, etc..., active engine braking, shuts off start stop.

(These are from my Ecoboost 2.3L Explorer and Ecoboost 2.7 F150).

Theres more on the Explorer (Sand, Snow, Slippery, etc...)

On some rental cars, the "sport" mode raises RPM across the board, including during cruise on the highway. Always found that weird. But it does make for better response, when needed.

I select eco mode about 2100, normal about 0800 and sport mode (for me) around 0930 after the Aleve mode has kicked in.

1692034097851.jpg

Auto Trader

On the Jeep I keep it in eco because in Sport it just shifts harder, burns more gas, and the RPM's are higher plus it stays in certain gears longer if you are pushing it a little. On the other hand the Corvette is driven in Sport most of the time because the exhaust is louder and the car just feels right in this mode. The Honda Civic is just a dog in Eco therefore I don't use that mode unless it's for long interstate driving. Each vehicle reacts quite a bit differently and there no one size fits all answer for this.

On the M235i Sport Mode changes throttle response, shift points, steering weight and suspension damping.
On the C43 Sport Mode makes the same changes -although they are much more noticeable- and adds an increased idle speed and a considerably louder exhaust. It’s a complete and total riot; I drive it in Sport + much of the time and my wonderful bride says not a word.

Last edited:

How Honda’s ECON Button Works​

If you’ve never used the Honda ECON mode, you may be wondering: “What does the ECON button do?” The Honda Econ button saves you money on gas when engaged by changing the settings on a variety of different systems, including:

• Throttle – Throttle response is changed at highway speeds to help reduce acceleration. If you’re a race-minded driver around Seattle, you’ll likely leave the Econ button disengaged.
  • Transmission – The gear shifts in the transmission are recalibrated to save money at the pump by shifting at lower RPMs.
  • Cruise Control – When cruise control is engaged, the vehicle will be less likely to downshift in order to maintain its speed. This could lead to slight speed variation on hills, but it will save money on gas.
  • Air Conditioning – It may take a bit more time to cool off the car, but it’s unlikely you’ll encounter a sweltering summer in Seattle. With the Econ button engaged, the air conditioner compressor will turn on and off more often, noticeably improving fuel economy.

With that said, on our Odyssey and our CR-V, I have not noticed a measurable difference betwixt Eco and regular when using it. I generally don't use Eco because of this.

From factory, the accord ECO mode tunes the throttle curve to be very mild right up until about 80% where it finally accelerates harder, and will go into higher gears as much as possible. In sport, it is always 1 or two gears higher , keeping the engine above 2000 RPM and in boost, and more touchy throttle, as well as using their dynamic wheel braking to improve turn in.

IMO eco modes have the biggest effect when using AC, which it cuts back on, and thus could save 1 mpg or something. But this does lug the engine more when needing acceleration. Its been well documented that sport mode doesn't use more than 1-2 MPG more on average.

With ktuner you can actually have different boost maps in each of the modes.

We have those same 3 modes on our 2023 VENZA.
I can tell the differences when I am showing someone and if I pay attention hard enough.
ECO feels a bit Lethargic when just driving around slowly.
NORMAL…Mmm, IDK!
SPORT feels Like it rubs out a little higher than when an ECO or NORMAL possibly.
However, there is little difference without paying attention. I just keep it in ECO Mode for the time being.

If you want to eke out that little bit more fuel economy while driving more slowly, keep it in Eco mode.
If you want to get that little bit more feeling of power and better throttle response, put it into Sport mode.
And I suppose Normal is program somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
On my 2015 BMW.
ECO
- Activates stop/start
- Throttles back the A/C (cycles the compressor is my guess)
- What I can best describe as short shifting the transmission.
- Unlocks the torque converter when coasting. The official term is "Sailing" and it feels like you're in neutral.

SPORT
- Firms up steering effort.
- Raises, in terms of RPM, the shift points.
- Dampening changes (if equipped).

Very similar on my 2018 GTI, while the 2013 Cooper have a rudimentary
called 'Sport Mode', which affects steering effort and throttle curve only.

GTI: Choice between Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport and Individual Mode:

- suspension damping (DCC, if equipped > IMHO too much damping in sport, too little in comfort)
- steering effort (heavier in sport mode, a matter of taste)
- LED adaptive headlights (if eqipped > DLA: permanent high beam with masking and bending lights > quicker in 'sport mode', off in 'eco mode')
- throttle curve (IMHO fake, it just mimics improved but not actually affects response)
- DSG (shift points, not on my car because it's a manual)
- A/C (same as on BMW, reduced compressor power/action)
- VAQ (electro-hydraulic LSD > noticeably quicker, earlier and stronger in 'sport mode')
- ACC (adaptive cruise control > quicker response to the car in front in sport, very calm
in 'eco mode')
- engine sound (fake, it uses a tiny loudspeaker behind the dash)
- probably a few more I currently don't remember

My take? Most of the time just 'Normal' or 'Individual' (with all points in Normal,
except ACC in Eco). Changes in engine sound, steering and throttle are completely
dispensable . . . .

Snow mode relaxes my 2021 Escalade's twitchy throttle and shifting. Wish it had an eco mode though, don't know why it doesn't include it.

On my hybrid, eco, deadens the accelerator pedal sensitive and forces AC to go into eco mode

Sport gives most response with the engine, electric motors, simulates a long gear and tighten the steering assist (barely noticeable)

And the colored line changes in the IP cluster plus sport gets a G-force meter

Eco

image.jpg

image.jpg

Normal

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sport

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Use the SPORT mode of the '18 Accent ( 6 speed auto ) on occasion for inclines . Nothing more than dropping down to 4th gear . Helps with going up snow or ice covered drive as well .

Depends on the car :unsure:

Some of them have a real difference, while others are just a placebo :sneaky:

Some automatic transmissions have a winter mode, and that actually does make a difference: it starts in second rather than first gear.

This was a hot topic when we got the new 2014 RAV4. For sure changes throttle mapping and shift points on a RAV. Was much debate over it.

This article says it also alters steering feel:

Back