ECM fuse blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I unhooked two of the connectors to the ICM because I couldn't see the third one and forgot that there were three until I took it off. I did try starting the car with the two unhooked and it did not blow the ECM fuse so I'm hoping that is what the problem is but to be honest I'm not that hopeful.

The parts store did not have the ICM in stock and they don't test the old ones anymore so they are just going to warranty it. They did have the two coils in stock and did warranty them. The one coil that I didn't replace last year did have a small crack in it near the base of one of the plug wire posts so that may have wiped out the ICM if it is indeed bad. I don't know if the other coil that I replaced last year when I replaced the ICM was still good but I wasn't taking a chance and the guy was willing to warranty it.

I also lost one of the bolts that mount the ICM. It fell when I went to take it out and I can't find it for anything. The car is parked in the grass where it died but I didn't hear it hit the ground like I did for one of the other bolts that fell. I didn't feel it on the undercarriage of the car anywhere either. Changing the ICM on this car without a lift is a major pain and I hate doing it. Bad weather is coming tonight so I doubt I get to install the new parts Monday. To be honest I'm ready to blow this car up.

I feel your pain. I'd have to like a car a lot to keep messing with it. I think you have the culprit, though.

I've used a strong speaker magnet to find bolts in the grass.

Sounds like you found the problem. I would bet that is what is.

Post a follow-up once it's back in service.
smile.gif

I'm hoping that the replacement of the ICM and coils fix the problem. I also looked over all of the wiring that I can see in the engine compartment and everything looks fine. I also took the nut off and cleaned the ends of the two ground wires that are attached to the side of the block to make sure they were getting good contact.

I will definitely let everyone know if this fixes the problem.

Well, the car seems to be fixed but not without a little more drama. The ICM was the problem.

I had decided to replace the spark plugs since the current ones had about 21,000 miles on them and they require replacement every 30,000 miles. I figured I would start out with pretty much all new ignition components. I had replaced the wires last year when I replaced the Last ICM. I pulled all of the wires off of the plugs until I got to cylinder 4. I went to pull it off and the metal end decided to stay on the spark plug so it pulled out of the end of the wire. Off to the parts store to warranty the lifetime wires. I'm sure O'reillys hates me at this point since in the past few days I have warrantied five parts.

Anyway, I appreciate all of the input you guys gave. Hopefully this is it on this car for now. I'm tired of working on it.

Originally Posted by meep
you did good. persistent and thorough troubleshooting. nice.

Thanks. I was beginning to wonder. The car is still running so that is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back