Echo Trimmer Carb rebuild, er upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got a little carried away rebuilding the carb on my Echo trimmer tonight. Actually this is more of an upgrade... like a true phase 1 mod to the intake...backed up by real flowbench data from Team FAST.

1. Removed and trashed the OEM EPA non adjustable carb, in favor of an old school Zama C1U from the stash.

20140620_185820.jpg

2. Machined a custom punch from tool steel to install a funky shaped welch plug.

20140721_212333.jpg

3. Installed a rebuild kit and set the pop off lever height with a gage to the rich side.

20140721_213053.jpg

4. Installed a stainless low profile screw on the throttle butterfly (improves flow across the throttle butterfly section)

20140721_214815.jpg

20140721_214744.jpg

5. Replaced all hardware with stainless or alloy socket head cap screws.

6. Installed match ported intake manifold onto cylinder

20140714_214141.jpg

7. Added billet velocity stack (with choke plate!)

20140721_215417.jpg

8. Completed the ensemble with a nice high flowing, yet effective K&N style air filter (washable).

Combined with a free flowing ported box muffler (also flowbenched), this is now one baaaad trimmer!

Phase 1 complete
smile.gif

20140721_215506.jpg

Phase 2 is over there on the workbench...

Yikes! That's one intake!

I was going to ask if you're doing more... But perhaps with the OEM filter?

I got the Velocity stack from Ebay - $8! I was going to machine my own on the lathe, but at $8 with a choke plate, it wasn't worth it! Same thing for the air filter - serach for GoPed parts on Ebay...tons of stuff

Here's the flowbench data and comparison of the stock catalyst muffler vs. the older style box muffler. The catalyst muffler is almost 1/2 lb heavier!:

IMG_4259.JPG

Here's an exploded view of the box muffler and components identified on the next chart:

IMG_4260.JPG

Muffler installed on my flowbench:

IMG_4263.JPG

And the data. You can see that the original catalyst muffler is quite restrictive!

muffler_flow_results.jpg

LOL, you going to cut a notch out of your friggin torso so you dont bump yourself with the airfilter when trimming??

So what are your recommendations to mod just a regular echo blower for better efficiency and operation?

Originally Posted By: Ope_Freak
LOL, you going to cut a notch out of your friggin torso so you dont bump yourself with the airfilter when trimming??

Actually its not that bad! I was worried about the stick-out. There are some lower profile "mushroom" looking filters out there. I went with this one to get more filter area. I think it may be a more effective filter than the stock one.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So what are your recommendations to mod just a regular echo blower for better efficiency and operation?

with a blower, you can't do much other than tuning the carb so that it starts, runs well at WOT and is responsive. The reason is if you try to turn more rpms, you will just stall the blower wheel, it won't push any more air.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
So have you ported the cylinder yet? You could get a lot of gains doing that. And where is the pipe?

Patience, grasshopper......
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back