Echo SRM-2620 Weed Trimmer

A little embarrassed. I had a Echo SRM 2400 for nearly 20 years. Excellent machine that started easy and ran well. Finally died and was replaced with SRM 2620. New 2620 ran as a new weed trimmer should. Fast forward to now.... Trouble starting! Many cranks of the cord and nothing. I checked the plug and it's fine. Gas has oil in it (I use 40:1; manual calls for 50:1). Best I can remember is the gas (87 ethanol by me) is 6-8 weeks old. I'm going with stale fuel as the issue.

Thoughts?

If we stay with the bad fuel premise what is the best procedure to get the old gas out? Merely dumping into a can from the tank for disposal enough? Or should more be done? I've never had an engine issue with state gas in the past.

How did you "check" the plug. You can't tell if a plug is good by looking at it. Does the plug get wet with gas after trying to start it? Do you have strong spark to the plug?

Ridiculous to ask, but the switch on top of the handle is in the correct position?

Also, I recall the manual for my SRM-225 recommending at least 89 octane, but that's not why yours won't start.

Pulling the cord results in fuel being delivered to the plug. I removed the plug and kept it connected to wire and could feel the mist of fuel. This trimmer has less than 20 hours on it.

Ridiculous to ask, but the switch on top of the handle is in the correct position?

Also, I recall the manual for my SRM-225 recommending at least 89 octane, but that's not why yours won't start.

It's like when you call for IT help and get India on the other end. First question is ... Are you sure the power is on?"
The switch is in the correct position.

Replace the plug with a new NGK only and report back. When they wet foul, they do not dry in a day. Takes several......

On these echos the coil ground wire can melt inside the cover and touch the engine block. I had to add some shrink tube to several. But you will know if this is potentially the issue if you dont have a spark.

It's like when you call for IT help and get India on the other end. First question is ... Are you sure the power is on?"
The switch is in the correct position.

Don’t laugh, but every third time I go to start my SRM225 I forget the switch is on the OFF position!

Get a new plug, Take the the 1 in it to get a new one. Then put it some where to to dry out for a week. You need a good ground to test a plug. I use a torsion clamp across the hex flats to bright metal. Once you see a spark, put plug in. If you have an owner's manual, re-read the starting procedures part. It varies

Checked the screen and it was clean. Dumped the gas and put 93 octane in. Started up in less than 5 pulls. Stopped to add line and the warm engine started up right away. Either it was the gas or I flooded it :unsure:

Back