EBC pads on an Intruder - HH Sintered or V Semi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using EBC HH sintered pads on my Buell and LOVE them. I need to replace the pads on my Intruder 800 and cant decide between the HH Sintered or the V Semi-sintered

Sintered pads can chew up softer rotors. If your bike came with organics or semi sintered, I would put semi sintered on.

For what it is worth my Triumph came with sintered Nissin pads. I replaced them with the EBC Kevlar pads. Much less brake dust and it still stops really well. They just take a while to wear in.

I use the EBC HH sintered pads on my Sportster, almost finished my second set,and agree that they are hard on the rotors. I can see the "damage" on my stainless stock rotors. Not ruined by any stretch but not show condition for sure.
Having said that they are far better than the OEM ones were performance wise, especially when wet, and I definitely recommend them.

Cheers

I don't know if damage is the correct word, I think wear is better.

In general the more aggressive the pad/performance the more rotor wear. Again not in all cases but most.

With brakes you have to pay to play. If you want more stopping power it comes at a cost.

What is good enough depends on the rider, many are fine with OEM but others need more stopping power. It all depends on your riding.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
HH are good pads for high performance street. I have used them on many street bikes.

If you are looking for pro level performance for track only.

http://www.vesrah.com/new_page_56.htm.

I doubt he'll be taking his 800 Intruder out on a Roadracing track, any time soon.

OP, as far as EBC pads, I've tried them in numerous applications, and found I prefer Galfer pads.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
I don't know if damage is the correct word, I think wear is better.

In general the more aggressive the pad/performance the more rotor wear. Again not in all cases but most.

With brakes you have to pay to play. If you want more stopping power it comes at a cost.

What is good enough depends on the rider, many are fine with OEM but others need more stopping power. It all depends on your riding.

Yup I agree, and when I emailed EBC they specifically recommended HH for "cruisers".
Damage is a poor choice of word, yes.
Cheers

They probably recommend the HH pads for cruisers because they think you are riding around on something like an 750 to 800lb bagger. Big and heavy bikes are harder to stop. If you have a mid weight machine I think you can get away with other choices.

I appreciate the feedback. Oddly enough, on the EBC website and in their catalog they recommend either organics or the semi-sintered for cruisers. and true, no track days for me and the Intruder - I will save that for my next bike which will be a sport bike. the stock brakes on the Intruder are very weak and definitely need improvement; and this is only the 800 - I wonder if the larger intruder is as bad? I did order the HH sintered pads from EBC and will keep tabs on rotor wear.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
They probably recommend the HH pads for cruisers because they think you are riding around on something like an 750 to 800lb bagger. Big and heavy bikes are harder to stop. If you have a mid weight machine I think you can get away with other choices.

My Sportster has a 2 pot single disc up front. No linked braking......I am happy to use the HH pads. Pretty difficult to have too much braking on this bike, fork twist, well that's another story.
Glad to hear you have ordered the pads with the most friction across most conditions.
Cheers

Better pad are not so much racing pads just pads that provide better stopping performance. Both bike and auto.

Most stock bike from Harley to the big 4 and autos can benefit from better performing pads.

Many time OEM is designed for long life and low brake dust not increased performance.

Originally Posted By: splineman
Originally Posted By: Robenstein

My Sportster has a 2 pot single disc up front. No linked braking......I am happy to use the HH pads. Pretty difficult to have too much braking on this bike, fork twist, well that's another story.
Glad to hear you have ordered the pads with the most friction across most conditions.
Cheers

Have you installed a fork brace? Super Brace is one good one; there are others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPq-GAYf4g

HH refers to the heat capability of the friction material. GG is lower but may provide better feel. I've noticed that my EBC HH pads need some warmth for best feel. When cold they need extra pressure for good grab. I'll try Galfer next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back