Ebay abusive Buyer warning

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Received a message from Ebay giving me a "abusive Buyer warning".

I buy a handful of items on Ebay monthly, typically auto related parts. I rarely return anything.

A few months ago I purchased a gooseneck trailer on Ebay. Deposit was $2,000 which I paid immediately. Went to schedule the pickup of the trailer, which was 2,000 miles away. The Seller replied that I should know the title Vin did not match the trailer VIN. I cancelled the sale and requested a refund of my deposit. Never heard a peep in response from the Seller. Ebay motors has a title "guarantee", which I later found out does not cover trailers. I filed a claim with Ebay of fraud on the transaction. After a month, Ebay supported my claim and sent me my $2,000 deposit back. My gut is Ebay paid the $2,000 out of their picket- not the Seller's pocket.

I suspect that transaction put me in Ebay's "bad boy" club.... Find it almost comical.

I also purchased a Graco baby car seat, and one other new item that ended up being a Seller listing items they did not have to sell. On both of thise cases, Ebay notified me of the scam Seller and told me to cancel the transaction.... hmmmmm...

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Been buying and selling on Ebay side the beginning of time or whenever they first became known. Whichever came first*L*
Never had an issue that I can recall, never bought anything over $1000.

One of the many reasons I have never bought anything on ebay.
If you think about it and re-read the OP it just shows why buying on Ebay is safe.
Ive purchased or sold hundreds of things for so many years I honestly can not say if there was a time where I had a product I bought misrepresented. Either way, if it is, you are covered.

If you think about it and re-read the OP it just shows why buying on Ebay is safe.
Ive purchased or sold hundreds of things for so many years I honestly can not say if there was a time where I had a product I bought misrepresented. Either way, if it is, you are covered.
Actually, by Ebay's terms and conditions of their "Ebay motors", it was not a covered transaction. Ebay Motors has different terms and conditions than "normal" Ebay.

I had to fight Ebay to receive the $2,000 back. I am ok at and experienced in collecting evidence and presenting it in a manner(that may have helped Ebay refund me the $2,000). In my appeal for the refund, I used technical terms that may have influenced the refund. It should be noted Ebay uses a third party vendor for cases like this- they do not address it themselves.

After the trailer transaction, I am no longer motivated to purchase a item with a title on Ebay motors. The protection Ebay motors provides has a lot of loopholes which can leaver a buyer "without a raincoat".

If the title VIN did not match the trailer VIN, that's not the title for that trailer. Why didn't he have the title for it?
Great question..... Seller did not return any of my communications after I said I needed the correct title. I could speculate numerous scenarios, from lost title to stolen trailer and he had a extra trailer title laying around... who knows.

I am super glad he did give me a warning of the trailer title issue before I departed to pickup. 2,000 miles one way (4,000 round trip) with my V10 Ford would of left me with quite a loss of time and expenses.

Actually, by Ebay's terms and conditions of their "Ebay motors", it was not a covered transaction. Ebay Motors has different terms and conditions than "normal" Ebay.

I had to fight Ebay to receive the $2,000 back. I am ok at and experienced in collecting evidence and presenting it in a manner(that may have helped Ebay refund me the $2,000). In my appeal for the refund, I used technical terms that may have influenced the refund. It should be noted Ebay uses a third party vendor for cases like this- they do not address it themselves.

After the trailer transaction, I am no longer motivated to purchase a item with a title on Ebay motors. The protection Ebay motors provides has a lot of loopholes which can leaver a buyer "without a raincoat".
Good point, you weren't covered as you pointed out "Ebay motors has a title "guarantee", which I later found out does not cover trailers"
Yet, even though you weren't covered, ebay took the high road and gave you $2000.
Im not defending ebay, just saying its really hard to get scammed and after all, when buying due diligence is key.

I can see why trailers are not covered, there is no such thing as a trailer title in many states, including the one you now live in, SC. If your talking typical boat, motorcycle or tow behind a car or truck trailer.
I know you are new to the state, there are no trailer registrations, no trailer plates and no trailer titles, for these typical type of trailers.

eBay itself has been abusing my Friend
He is about 50:50 buy sell of little trinkets like collector cards.

They recently banned the sale of a particular brand of card in June.

They now go back and ban him 7 days at a time for listings that sold 3-6 months ago before their rule change had occurred.

They lift the ban long enough for him to list some video games then reban him which interferes with his ability to communicate with buyers of recent listings.

The sad part is there are 5000 of the trading cards in question identical to his up for sale right now that are supposedly banned.

His 20 year old account has been locked most of the last 3 months which has blocked a good chunk of his normal “pandemic” income.

Last edited:
They lift the ban long enough for him to list some video games then reban him which interferes with his ability to communicate with buyers of recent listings.

The sad part is there are 5000 of the trading cards in question identical to his up for sale right now that are supposedly banned.
Ebay only removes listings that are reported, and more often then not, the people reporting his listings are competitors of his selling the same items. What is subject matter on the cards?

Ebay only removes listings that are reported, and more often then not, the people reporting his listings are competitors of his selling the same items. What is subject matter on the cards?
The listings are all in the past and already sold, also they aren’t being “removed “ they are just locking his account saying he is temporarily banned.

The collector cards in question occasionally came in a particular brand of magazine that has a category and can still be sold on eBay

My friend was trying to clear his various collections given his pandemic work status, some of the antique magazines still fetch top dollar.

eBay has had major issues for a while-they seem more likely to back their “big” sellers & discriminate against their “smaller” buyers in disputes. Which has made them unreliable enough that a lot of people have given up on them. I’ll occasionally buy something there, but I’ve had CC battles with them.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Most everything I've purchased on Ebay has been garbage. I would not ever consider buying something substantial there, such as an automotive product or HiFi equipment. I consider it a dumping ground.
Even Amazon is becoming a b and c stock dumping ground.

Ironically, I will be putting up a pro camera** I bought for my Wife, but she finds it too heavy and complex.
She has an account, I'll use that. My Paypal got messed up years ago and I was done with it.

I would do local sale if possible, Ebay bad buyer says it came with a brick in it.. puts a brick in the box.. then gets refund.

then you are out your 1400$ camera.

I've bought and sold on Ebay over 20 years and have over 1700 feedbacks at 100%+. Sold over 100 cars there and bought maybe 3 or 4. 95% of the ones sold are done sight unseen although the 100+ pictures I put in a listing helps buyer confidence, and that I only require a deposit and the balance only after I deliver it after they see what they are getting. Never had anyone back out because of the condition of the car, but yea, I'm still amazed people send thousands of dollars to a stranger like that.

I think eBay has gotten better over the years. It seems to side more with buyers now, though. Not much to be done when someone wins and auction and doesn't pay, for example.

Back