Easiest Car to work on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is only applicable for Passats & A4/A6, Jettas & Golfs do not follow that even though the website says they do.

Is it a pain, probably but you are doing a lot more then just replacing one part.

You buy a premium brand & this is what you get. You wanted ease of maintenance, go buy a Toyota or Honda but the driving dynamics will not be the same.

Personally I'd rather do that then scrape my knuckles doing a Minivan or any other transverse V6 tucked into an engine bay.

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
That is only applicable for Passats & A4/A6, Jettas & Golfs do not follow that even though the website says they do.

Is it a pain, probably but you are doing a lot more then just replacing one part.

You buy a premium brand & this is what you get. You wanted ease of maintenance, go buy a Toyota or Honda but the driving dynamics will not be the same.

Personally I'd rather do that then scrape my knuckles doing a Minivan or any other transverse V6 tucked into an engine bay.

No. BMW's are easy to work on, this just seems to be a VAG thing.

Any full size car or truck, nearly anything with a straight engine that was also fitted with a V engine, just about anything Japanese, select BMWs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Even the M5?
lol.gif

BMW's also tend to favor a longer engine bay because of RWD most VW's were packaged to be FWD heck even some Audi's to maximize passenger volume.

My point still stands I'd rather do it that way then transverse. Lets not forget about BMW's numerous cooling system issues like exploding waterpumps.

MB has even worse electronics than VW with regards to quality.

You pay to play simple as that. You want a higher end car you may pay higher for maintenance. If not you buy a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Even the M5?
lol.gif

BMW's also tend to favor a longer engine bay because of RWD most VW's were packaged to be FWD heck even some Audi's to maximize passenger volume.

My point still stands I'd rather do it that way then transverse. Lets not forget about BMW's numerous cooling system issues like exploding waterpumps.

MB has even worse electronics than VW with regards to quality.

You pay to play simple as that. You want a higher end car you may pay higher for maintenance. If not you buy a Toyota.

Yeah, even the M5, LOL! It is very easy to work on.

Only cooling system issue we've had was a cracked overflow tank on my sister's 330i. I've heard they (cooling system issues) are a more common thing in the US though. May be the climatic differences?
21.gif

I didn't mention MB
wink.gif

My experience with Euro cars began with my M5. We've now got 3x BMW's in the family and they are a joy to work on due to the nature of the fasteners they use. They don't rust and seize like every other car I've ever worked on of the same age up here.

And yes, the longitudinally mounted engine, particularly the i6 , in a large hood, means there is plenty of room.

I keep forgetting to look at the location...Canada always seems to get the better stuff in regards to Euro cars.

I was just using MB as an example that money doesn't always mean better quality. I'd love a BMW too except I'd rather have at this point an E30 which are not only old but the decent ones fetch an even bigger premium than a 200k+ Civic.

I've considered a Passat/A4 at many points but their beat to [censored] nature on the used market, well just not worth the time or money.

Last edited:
I'd say my first car, '83 2.2L Chrysler (carborated), and '05 Neon 2.0 SOHC have bee the easiest to work on. None have needed a lot of work, but general maintenance was a breeze on both.

I'd pick my 1966 Mustang as it is pretty easy to work on, and has tons of room with the 200 straight 6. You can't get any simpler for spark plug and oil changes, and as an added bonus everything is in standard so no guessing what to grab when you go to work on it.

The engine bay (a lot like the F-100 above):

100_0029.jpg

100_0027.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the '66 Mustang makes me want to go out and buy something old like that just for the ease of working on it. But, I would feel pretty guilty using one as a daily driver here in the rust belt--a few winters on the road really does in an older car like that. I don't care how often you wash it, it shortly becomes a rust bucket. Coming from the Northeast, it is amazing to see all the old cars still on the road when I visit someplace like Southern California.

Old man had a an early 70's chevy impala with a small block 350. Easyas pie to get to everything under the hood when a 350 is sitting in the same place a 454 will also go leaves alot of room, lol.

Originally Posted By: dparm
My S2000 was ridiculously easy to work on. Engine bay was huge and the motor was tiny, and very accessible.

You didn't change the thermostat in the S2000, it is in lower radiator hose and no access from the top.

Essentially, the older the car, the easier it was to work on.

Of the modern vehicles I've had my hands on, the easiest I've worked on is the 98 Geo Metro. I think this is true for nearly any econobox. They are the only cars not loaded with features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back