Early to mid 00’s trucks

My Kentucky Ram 1500 is rust free and has 223k on it and uses no oil between changes and transmission has been regularly serviced and it tows my 24.5 foot fifth wheel just fine. Would not have any other main truck.

I'm a Ford man, id get the best Ford i could find and deal with he issues, but then again i have the ability to deal with it.

No denying the Chevrolet is a solid truck too.

I have a 01 F150 and had an 06 Silverado work truck. Domestic trucks (pre 04 Ford and Pre DOD GM) are pretty reliable but have a lot of little annoying issues and the ride is not great. I would get a Tundra if rust isn't an issue.

What was wrong with the 3rd gen rams that keeps people from recommending them?

i have both a 03 tundra and 99 sivlerado the tundra has been work only its whole life and tows a lawn service trailer. both are good trucks but the tundra is way more reliable. the chev hasnt been bad in general and is a pleasure to drive . the 5.3 is awesume in power and fuel economy. the tundra is a gas pig . both are still under 100k which is quite rare these days. plan to keep both forever. both 100% rust free

I never knew the 2nd gen had blend door or cam/lifter issues 🤷🏼
Blend door breaking & falling on top of the blower intake is a 3rd gen issue, The first few years of the Hemi didn't have lifter issues.

I've had a couple 2nd gen Dodge Rams diesels, They liked to eat Evaporator Cores & front end parts. I don't see many around anymore, The gas versions had PCM solder joint issues as did the entire Chrysler line-up at the time.

Every once in a while I'll have a 2nd gen come in for a Evaporator swap....I won't touch them because the dash will literally disintegrate, The '98-'02 is worse than the '94-'97 as the dash is concerned.

Blend door breaking & falling on top of the blower intake is a 3rd gen issue, The first few years of the Hemi didn't have lifter issues.

I've had a couple 2nd gen Dodge Rams diesels, They liked to eat Evaporator Cores & front end parts. I don't see many around anymore, The gas versions had PCM solder joint issues as did the entire Chrysler line-up at the time.

Every once in a while I'll have a 2nd gen come in for a Evaporator swap....I won't touch them because the dash will literally disintegrate, The '98-'02 is worse than the '94-'97 as the dash is concerned.
Saw a 2000 ram tonight for sale 92,000 miles 2wd 5.9 magnum no rust no dents very clean 6,000 it’s tempting!!

Saw a 2000 ram tonight for sale 92,000 miles 2wd 5.9 magnum no rust no dents very clean 6,000 it’s tempting!!
I was always a Chrysler hater until I flipped a couple Ram trucks and drove them for a little bit. One was a 01 5.2 with 270k miles and still running pretty well and the other was an 00 5.9 with 170k miles that ran really strong. I sold both with little issue and the fact they were in as reasonable shape as they were lead me to think maybe Chrysler wasn't all that bad.. Dashes will decentigrate as stated, but a dash mat covers the disaster..

I was always a Chrysler hater until I flipped a couple Ram trucks and drove them for a little bit. One was a 01 5.2 with 270k miles and still running pretty well and the other was an 00 5.9 with 170k miles that ran really strong. I sold both with little issue and the fact they were in as reasonable shape as they were lead me to think maybe Chrysler wasn't all that bad.. Dashes will decentigrate as stated, but a dash mat covers the disaster..
I'm of the opinion that the biggest Chrysler haters are the ones that haven't owned them. They have their problem childs, but so do a gazillion Ford and GM vehicles.

Back