early OCI because of HIGH REVVING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so the Hybrid Tahoe also has AFM?

If so I have the same engine...5.3 with AFM in my 2018 Silverado. I'm averaging 24.2 mpg (life of the vehicle 35,000 miles). If I didn't have to drive in freezing temperatures 5 months out of the year, I'd probably be averaging 25.5'(non hybrid).

I think you're wise to change that oil every 4,000-4,500 miles, but in no way do I think you need to change your oil because you reved it high. If anything it probably helped those lifters (I hear the more you're in V4 mode, the more likely you're going to end up with problems down the road). Which means that I'm probably going to have lifter problems someday because I'm in V4 probably 60% of the time, maybe more.

I change my oil every 5,000 miles, using whatever Synthetic is on sale at Walmart...right now it seems to be Pennzoil and Rotella Gas Truck. And my engine does use a little bit of oil...another issue with these things...maybe a quart over five thousand miles.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Open it up a bit, you're not helping the engine by babying like that everywhere and you're definitely infuriating everyone else on the road as you accelerate slowly.

100% correct.

BTW, my Kawasaki Ninja sees 6,000 RPM while cruising down the highway.

All......... day....... long.

Should I change the oil every 23 miles?

Definitely.
IMO, you are risking a LOT letting it get to even 3000 mi. M1 EP usually starts to brown by ~2800, and once they do, it really starts to interfere with the superglue staying stuck to the lids.
You can't let Walmart customer care catch you, otherwise you'll have to start returning to another one, and it'll be WAY out of your way for your daily commutes.

EDIT: Kidding aside, no.. you.. you don't need to change it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Railrust

If so I have the same engine...5.3 with AFM in my 2018 Silverado.

The only thing those two engines have in common is that they have the same bore and stroke and they are made by GM, otherwise EVERYTHING else is different. Not trying to sound like a jerk, just wanted to clear up some bad information.

I'd find something more important to worry about, and give thanks that no one got hurt.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Open it up a bit, you're not helping the engine by babying like that everywhere and you're definitely infuriating everyone else on the road as you accelerate slowly.

100% correct.

BTW, my Kawasaki Ninja sees 6,000 RPM while cruising down the highway.

All......... day....... long.

Should I change the oil every 23 miles?

No. Just daily would be fine.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
should I change my oil early I had to red line the suv to avoid getting into a accident ( other driver was driving recklessly ) i have 700 miles on the current oil change Mobil1 full synthetic EP..

the person missed me by a few inches as i was able to get out of the way in time, just barely

the other guy nearly tboned me because he lost control of his car (doing a burnout ) SMH
mad.gif
while we were both making a left turn (DUAL LEFT TURN) luckily the school bus full of kids , was a bit in front of me other wise he would have hit him instead .

or just change it at 3,000 (my normal OCI is 4,000-4500 miles)

[censored] NO. And unless you're driving a DI, changing M1 EP at less than 10k is extremely wasteful. Get the AFM turned off and your engine will last a lot longer.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
The effect of broadly legalized "gummies" is now fully apparent.

Yup.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
The effect of broadly legalized "gummies" is now fully apparent.

+1...‚

This thread...

I WOT my vehicles at least once per fill up generally. WOT for short periods of time on a fully warm engine does no harm.

The engine was designed to operate within its Full RPM range. No harm is done running any well running engine to full steam.

One of my vehicles has almost 200k doing this and uses no measurable oil per OCI.

OP drive the truck and change the oil at your normal interval. My 5.3L AFM engine gets changed every 7.5k with fantastic UOAs to prove I'm probably wasting the oil by dumping it at that interval. My 5.3 loves to be opened up a few times every time I go out of town. It runs better after a good "Italian Tune Up "

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
it has Active Fuel Management so that is why i'm worried a bit
I use chevron or Mobil 91 octane
so knocking or pre detonation is not really a issue

know AFM does not play nice with bad oil or "used up" oil..

The highest RPM i normally do is 2500RPM from a STOP SIGN Freeway entrance other wise I keep it 1000 to 1600 rpm under normal driving conditions(sometimes 1800rpm, that will do AFM @80MPH @ 1800RPM on flat land)

Well if you are worried about carbon build up the worst thing you can do is baby the vehicle and you are not gaining anything by using 91 octane.

The AFM should hold up just fine.

I would be worrying about the Veeblefetzer shaft. There is a bulletin on that. Ask your dealer.

Originally Posted by donnyj08
WOT for short periods of time on a fully warm engine does no harm.
The engine was designed to operate within its Full RPM range. No harm is done running any well running engine to full steam.
One of my vehicles has almost 200k doing this and uses no measurable oil per OCI.

My 2008 F150 4.6 liter sees WOT for minutes at a time when pulling a heavy trailer, sometimes for trips that last hours.

198,000 miles and doesn't burn a drop.

If I changed my oil every time I went WOT on my car, things would get complicated in a hurry...I'm trying to envision what my life would be like under those circumstances...

Typical Day in my Life:
1) Wake up, go for breakfast, come home, change oil.
2) Go for test drive to verify oil change performed correctly, come home, change oil.
3) Repeat step 2 until tired, go home, sleep, dream about changing oil.

My Harley hits redline just about every time I ride it
Luckily I use synthetic and not dino oil or I would have to change it during my ride which would be a pain in the rear
What would I do with that used up oil while riding out in the country?

Originally Posted by Tman220
Originally Posted by Railrust

If so I have the same engine...5.3 with AFM in my 2018 Silverado.

The only thing those two engines have in common is that they have the same bore and stroke and they are made by GM, otherwise EVERYTHING else is different. Not trying to sound like a jerk, just wanted to clear up some bad information.

Did he say what year it was? If it's a 2014 on up, should be the ecotec 3, no? Same engine. Right?

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Are you joking? My vehicles see the red line several times a week. My answer is no.

Mine sees redline several times per hour per day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back