Ea0, Rp or Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ford Racing filter is quality piece, if perhaps a little pricey. Has a very solid efficiency rating too, which makes it different from what is generally considered a "racing" filter. As Gary Allan (rip) used to say, true "racing" filters are basically sieves. Not so with the noted Ford Racing filter though.

I'd say between the mentioned Amsoil, Ultra, Ford Racing filters recently mention, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. And imo all should flow plenty for your purposes.

FWIW, I did a similar search/analysis for the "best" combo even though my coyote is only 745 rwhp. I've gone with amsoil rear dif, trans fluid, 10w30 SS oil and ford racing filter. Last I read, UB was recommending amsoil 5w40 on high hp hard driven cars...

Id just go with the ugly fu if its has to be one of the 3. Fu is alot cheaper. Guess you just have to inspect for burrs first though.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
While this is based on visuals/opinion, the FRPP filter has drastically larger opening in the top plate over the Fram XG2. Looking at the two, it LOOKS like the FRPP filter would easily outflow the fram. I say this as I have that filter on my mustang, and currently the fram XG2 on my Jeep. Dont want anyone thinking I'm bad mouthing the Fram.

EDIT: sorry for the shabby quality, but here are 4 filters in this size. On the far right, Mobil 1 M-210, next is Fram Ultra XG2, followed by MC FL820s, and last on the far left the FRRP variant of the 820. Again, just visual. I will say the Ford racing filter is heavy, and I think its rated for higher PSI or burst pressure (something like that).

xO8g3B1.jpg

i like the fram ultra filters for my daily vehicles. But i think the frrp or amsoil filter seems to be a bit better. Still looking for some specs for the eao and ultra though

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
The Ford Racing filter is quality piece, if perhaps a little pricey. Has a very solid efficiency rating too, which makes it different from what is generally considered a "racing" filter. As Gary Allan (rip) used to say, true "racing" filters are basically sieves. Not so with the noted Ford Racing filter though.

I'd say between the mentioned Amsoil, Ultra, Ford Racing filters recently mention, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. And imo all should flow plenty for your purposes.
i dont think 13.15 for an eao or 13.18 is pricey for frrp. I had no idea he passed away. He was an informative guy. Its been quite awhile since ive browsed the forums til lately. I dont think any of them i could go wrong with either but id definitely prefer to find out which will be the best.

Originally Posted By: kbmag1
FWIW, I did a similar search/analysis for the "best" combo even though my coyote is only 745 rwhp. I've gone with amsoil rear dif, trans fluid, 10w30 SS oil and ford racing filter. Last I read, UB was recommending amsoil 5w40 on high hp hard driven cars...

ive had a handful or two of conversations with troy before the engine was built. Im currently breaking it in with a thinner oil as instructed for the ring seating. Ill eventually be using 5w40.

Originally Posted By: corndogzombie
Id just go with the ugly fu if its has to be one of the 3. Fu is alot cheaper. Guess you just have to inspect for burrs first though.
can you suggest a better filter? I have near 50k in mods in the car not including the price of the car, im definitely not concerned with cheap, just what my best spin on filter option is. If it ends up being fram great that will be great, I'll save some cash. However if not thats fine too ill keep using ultras for my daily and my wifes suv.

Last edited:
can you suggest a better filter? I have near 50k in mods in the car not including the price of the car, im definitely not concerned with cheap, just what my best spin on filter option is. If it ends up being fram great that will be great, I'll save some cash. However if not thats fine too ill keep using ultras for my daily and my wifes suv. [/quote]

Well to be honest, its more of a guessing game than anything. So by observing a little and guessing alot I'd say if you want the best filtration you can get with a spin on filter that will fit your application, microgreen probably beats them all. Its a full flow/ bypass dual stage 2 in one spin on filter. I have not used the eao or royal purple. I can tell you the RP has a heavy duty can and has the same filter efficacy rating as the fu and eoa so id say its a better filter than the fu because of that. I suppose the amsoil filter is on par with the rp but I've never really used or held one. The microgreen is solidly built. I could see it being used on a tank lol.
I'm far more impressed with m1 filters than fu. I've cut both open and haven't seen problems with either but I prefer the media strength of the m1. You'll hear all the chatter about full synthetic wire backed media. The m1 apparently doesn't need wire backing. Its media is always as solid as new even after the 15k rated use. That tells me it has a superior media strength and doesn't need a wire mesh to support it. It uses a synthetic blend media and apparently that's a darn good combination because it can filter to
Near the same micron level as any of the full synthetic. To the extent that it really doesn't make a difference and holds as much for as long. I've used both and dissected both and I'd pick a m1 over an ultra everytime. I'd even pay a dollar more when the m1 is on sale at orilies.
But back to your question. I do believe I can recommend the microgreen as a better filter. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Is this twin turbo Coyote stock?

(I'm assuming its a mustang)

There has been talk of them using a similar configuration in the Raptor eventually.

Well to be honest, its more of a guessing game than anything. So by observing a little and guessing alot I'd say if you want the best filtration you can get with a spin on filter that will fit your application, microgreen probably beats them all. Its a full flow/ bypass dual stage 2 in one spin on filter. I have not used the eao or royal purple. I can tell you the RP has a heavy duty can and has the same filter efficacy rating as the fu and eoa so id say its a better filter than the fu because of that. I suppose the amsoil filter is on par with the rp but I've never really used or held one. The microgreen is solidly built. I could see it being used on a tank lol.
I'm far more impressed with m1 filters than fu. I've cut both open and haven't seen problems with either but I prefer the media strength of the m1. You'll hear all the chatter about full synthetic wire backed media. The m1 apparently doesn't need wire backing. Its media is always as solid as new even after the 15k rated use. That tells me it has a superior media strength and doesn't need a wire mesh to support it. It uses a synthetic blend media and apparently that's a darn good combination because it can filter to
Near the same micron level as any of the full synthetic. To the extent that it really doesn't make a difference and holds as much for as long. I've used both and dissected both and I'd pick a m1 over an ultra everytime. I'd even pay a dollar more when the m1 is on sale at orilies.
But back to your question. I do believe I can recommend the microgreen as a better filter. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.[/quote] that green filter is nice. What by definition do they mean "full flow" compared to what? They dont elaborate or have a explanation. I thought too much filtration kills flow
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is this twin turbo Coyote stock?

(I'm assuming its a mustang)

There has been talk of them using a similar configuration in the Raptor eventually.
what do you mean by stock? This is a purpose built, built engine, suspension drag/street car. Yes its a 2016 mustang.

Their manufacturer has gotten a bad reputation lately, but another possibility to consider is the Bosch Distance Plus, they haven't had the tearing issues, & they have the heaviest baseplate & can of any filter I've seen, including the Ultra & RP. Flow should be somewhat better too.

I would not use a Microgreen on a 700+ HP race car. Since cost isn't a factor is seems, just go get the Ford racing filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I would not use a Microgreen on a 700+ HP race car. Since cost isn't a factor is seems, just go get the Ford racing filter.

Most racing filters are changed along with the oil after a race.
I would most surely put a MG on that car any day if I owned it and wasn't racing it. He can put a racing filter on during his race if he races. Sorry I didn't suggest that those ugly burryfull fram ultras were the best. I'm not on the payroll......
grin.gif

The most important filter is the air filter. The most important about the oil filter is that it doesn't fail.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The most important filter is the air filter. The most important about the oil filter is that it doesn't fail.

Very true

Here's some links with more info on the Ford Racing filter. According to first link it uses a synthetic-cellulose blend media. As for term 'pricey' I used for cost, I was looking at current retail listed in link, and comparing it to Ultra everyday WM price. Obviously, not so much compared to Amsoil price. Though fwiw, the latter two are full synthetic media.

Second link shows an older bitog thread discussing the Ford Racing Filter, some links in it have expired but Colt45's FRPP info is something you might find interesting. And you can see Gary Allan's(rip) comment I noted earlier about 'racing' filters at the end of that thread.

As said, don't think you go wrong with any but as mentioned by Z06 just go with FRPP, seems suited to your purpose.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/CM-6731-FL820

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._Fi#Post1687061

I would most surely put a MG on that car any day if I owned it and wasn't racing it. He can put a racing filter on during his race if he races. Sorry I didn't suggest that those ugly burryfull fram ultras were the best. I'm not on the payroll......
grin.gif

Maybe more like on the "trollroll".
lol.gif

Any reason you prefer that over the Eao? The eao11 and the ford filter are the way ive been leaning the most.

grin.gif

The oil will be changed once a year, 3-4k. Im not going to bounce around filters. This is a drag car that is very streetable on low to medium boost for joy riding and cruises. Its not a pure dragsters thats towed around everywhere. It has 97% of its interior. All amenities still work and are in place. It just has a rear seat delete. :) The coyotes unless running pro mods or deep into the 7s need that kind of treatment. We have fords torture testing in the f150 to thank for its extreme strength and durability

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Here's some links with more info on the Ford Racing filter. According to first link it uses a synthetic-cellulose blend media. As for term 'pricey' I used for cost, I was looking at current retail listed in link, and comparing it to Ultra everyday WM price. Obviously, not so much compared to Amsoil price. Though fwiw, the latter two are full synthetic media.

Second link shows an older bitog thread discussing the Ford Racing Filter, some links in it have expired but Colt45's FRPP info is something you might find interesting. And you can see Gary Allan's(rip) comment I noted earlier about 'racing' filters at the end of that thread.

As said, don't think you go wrong with any but as mentioned by Z06 just go with FRPP, seems suited to your purpose.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/CM-6731-FL820

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._Fi#Post1687061
thank you for fhe links. Ill dig through it thoroughly!

Originally Posted By: Mustang_man

Any reason you prefer that over the Eao? The eao11 and the ford filter are the way ive been leaning the most.

Because when you look at the spec data it has very good efficiency and very good flow. The Ford Racing filter most likely also has the base end bypass valve which Ford likes to use on their engines.

frpp.jpg

Here's flow data for a PureOne, which looks to flow a little better than the Ford Racing. Missing is the oil viscosity during the Ford Racing filter delta-p test, which is an important factor - so that could explain the slight difference.

Also, the flow vs delta-p of the Fram Ultra is a bit better than the PureOne. Not sure about the Amsoil EAo since I haven't seen actual graph data of its flow vs delta-p, but it probably flows just as good. I think any of those filters work just fine for your car. I highly doubt a Microgreen could flow as well as any of these filters.

PureOneflowdata.jpg

Intresting info.
Why do you doubt a microgreen can flow as well as the others? It's a full flow filter for the most part. Just a small percentage is diverted through the micro filter wafer while it flows.
Do we have any flow data for the mg? Or were you just guessing, speculating, making that up?

Contact Mircogreen and ask them for actual flow vs delta-p data and at what oil viscosity. I'd be surprised if they actually gave you real data since they seem to skirt their other specs.

Intresting info.
Why do you doubt a microgreen can flow as well as the others? It's a full flow filter for the most part. Just a small percentage is diverted through the micro filter wafer while it flows.
Do we have any flow data for the mg? Or were you just guessing, speculating, making that up?

No there is no published data and you should know that by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back