Ea0, Rp or Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive used the search button but didnt find much help for my inquiry.

The four model filters in question
EaO17
EaO11
Rp 20-500
Fram ultra xg10575
FL-500s (throwing it in for grins)

This on a twin turbo coyote 5.0. In excess of 1500hp and using e85 (i dont believe the fuel matters much) on amsoil 5w30ss. Im considering the eaO11 at the recommendation of UnleashedBeast because of its higher flow over the 17. I havent found much info on flow in terms of the rp or ultra. I also couldnt find enough info on any defining a clear winner for my application. Maybe my Internet skills are slipping. However im still fairly green on stat defining characteristics for a filter. This isnt a car that goes long oci. It sees 3-5k a year and gets changed. I know thats a waste of oil to a lot of you and a filter. This car has a different purpose and a lot of money wrapped in it. Im okay losing money over potentially a very expensive built engine. I must pay to play. Id appreciate any help given in selecting the best filter for the job.

Ps. Long time lurker on and off over the years. Its been awhile since ive been browsing here. Go easy on me please. Hah.

PPS. Sad to see my daily driver choice of filters (bosch premiums) arent doing so well anymore. Ill need to go elsewhere for that. The pureone thing is also surprising

I'm using the EaO17 on my stock 5.0; if your oil pump is unmodified it's a good choice.

If you have a modified oil pump then the EaO11's higher flow wouldn't hurt.

Fram Ultra is a great filter but I have no info on the flow. Not familiar enough with the RP to comment there.

edit: just re-read my post, it's not much help...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'm using the EaO17 on my stock 5.0; if your oil pump is unmodified it's a good choice.

If you have a modified oil pump then the EaO11's higher flow wouldn't hurt.

Fram Ultra is a great filter but I have no info on the flow. Not familiar enough with the RP to comment there.

edit: just re-read my post, it's not much help...

Its not an entirely stock pump. Its using Tss billet gears. I appreciate your effort even though it gains me no direct answer.

RP has always been my favorite for cars running high oil pressure because it has the highest burst psi rating. I do have a question for you though, your engine builders didnt recommend a higher oil weight for that engine? I have a near 1kawp Evo and they only recommend 20-50w racing oil for my block.

5w40 was the highest weight suggested. Its still in break in. Coyotes are a bit different then a 4g63. 5w50 would be the highest id ever put in a coyote.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mustang_man
Its not an entirely stock pump. Its using Tss billet gears. I appreciate your effort even though it gains me no direct answer.

Is the oil pump upgrade actually give you more GPM flow out of the pump, or are those gears just to replace the stock gears to give more reliability (Coyote weak link)?

If your pump in now putting out more flow than stock, I'd probably look into a Ford Racing oil filter which is pretty efficient and able to take high flow.

Most full synthetic media filters will flow very well however. So if your pump is still putting out stock flow rates, then any good full synthetic filter should flow fine.

Here is a thread that discusses the flow of the Ultra if you care to look at that.

Ultra Flow Discussions [Link]

welcome2.gif

Amsoil and RP are the same or very close, and the TRD is another one of the same. Good filter, but a tad expensive.

Fram Ultra is also a good choice, and the price is unbeatable.

The Wix XP/Napa Platinum is also worth considering.

But why not Wix/Napa Gold? Or Carquest Blue (a M1 clone)? Even the CQ Red is very stout and at a rock bottom price, too.

I would run Fram Ultra. I would also contact Motorking with your flow specs just to make sure.

I bet that car is fun to drive.....

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Is the oil pump upgrade actually give you more GPM flow out of the pump, or are those gears just to replace the stock gears to give more reliability (Coyote weak link)?

If your pump in now putting out more flow than stock, I'd probably look into a Ford Racing oil filter which is pretty efficient and able to take high flow.

Most full synthetic media filters will flow very well however. So if your pump is still putting out stock flow rates, then any good full synthetic filter should flow fine.

Here is a thread that discusses the flow of the Ultra if you care to look at that.

Ultra Flow Discussions [Link]

Thank you for the link. It does have increased flow a bit. i am unsure of the gpm. Im in the process of finding out stock vs what i have currently since you inquired. Ill have to get back to you. You are correct the stock gears are a weak link when going over 750whp as is the crankshaft gear. Im curious why the suggestion of ford racing over Eao or Rp. Is something about it superior? I cant get Fords discounted by 30-35 percent unfortunately. If its the best for the job i suppose that doesnt matter. Im unsure if the fram will be enough flow compared to the Eao or Rp. However it looks like a great replacement for my bosch premiums for my daily.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

Amsoil and RP are the same or very close, and the TRD is another one of the same. Good filter, but a tad expensive.

Fram Ultra is also a good choice, and the price is unbeatable.

The Wix XP/Napa Platinum is also worth considering.

But why not Wix/Napa Gold? Or Carquest Blue (a M1 clone)? Even the CQ Red is very stout and at a rock bottom price, too.
thanks for the welcome! I got away from wix back in 07ish? I heard about cross contamination issue iirc with the housing design allowing clean oil and dirty oil to mix and causing some unfiltered oil. So i switched to bosch premiums at that time.

I didnt even consider wix to be honest. The 57502xp looks like a great choice 10-12gpm. I guess ill need to research its construction unless you have any info you by chance could link me towards. I appreciate the Cq suggestions but id rather not, not with how much is wraped up under the hood alone. im sure they are great but id rather have little extra piece of mind for my mustang. They could be worth looking into for my wifes 4runner and my sti (daily driver) though!
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I would run Fram Ultra. I would also contact Motorking with your flow specs just to make sure.

I bet that car is fun to drive.....
If ends up being the best for the job, i definitely will! Ill have to get specific numbers then i will.

It should be here soon! Looking for 170mph traps high 7s

Last edited:
Im unsure if the fram will be enough flow compared to the Eao or Rp. However it looks like a great replacement for my bosch premiums for my daily.

I would think the Ultra and Royal Purple would flow about the same since they are both full synthetic media. Not sure about the Amsoil EaO.

If you look at this graph, which is from the Purolator PureOne, you can see it only develops ~5 PSI delta-p at ~12 GPM flow. Keep in mind this is with fully hot oil (viscosity of 5W-30 @ 200 deg F), so if you went nuts with the RPM with cold thick oil, you are going to create more delta-p across the filter.

I would think the Coyote doesn't produce any more than 12 GPM ... that's a ton of oil flow (ie, the whole 8 quarts circulates every 40 seconds).

PureOneflowdata.jpg

I suggest searching for the specs on the Ford Racing oil filter for the Coyote. If I recall correctly, it was designed to be pretty efficient and have a pretty low delta-p at high flow. Might be a hair better than the Ultra or Royal Purple - can't say without comparing specs.

5w40 was the highest weight suggested. Its still in break in. Coyotes are a bit different then a 4g63. 5w50 would be the highest id ever put in a coyote.

I'm guessing that the bottom end is TOTALLY 'built' given that power level??

Is this going to be a drag race ONLY car?

What themperature oil get 300f ? I hope you put a radiator for the engine oil?as for oil filter?do those engine have bypass in engine or in the oil filter?

Last edited:
The royal purple, Amsoil and Fram Ultra are all made by the same company, but I think from what I've gathered the royal purple is the most over built of the bunch so I'd use that one

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
What themperature oil get 300f ? I hope you put a radiator for the engine oil?as for oil filter?do those engine have bypass in engine or in the oil filter?

You'd have to be out on a race track a pretty long time to get the oil to 300 deg F. The 5.0L Coyote does not have the filter bypass in the block, so need one in the filter.

Im unsure if the fram will be enough flow compared to the Eao or Rp. However it looks like a great replacement for my bosch premiums for my daily.

I would think the Ultra and Royal Purple would flow about the same since they are both full synthetic media. Not sure about the Amsoil EaO.

If you look at this graph, which is from the Purolator PureOne, you can see it only develops ~5 PSI delta-p at ~12 GPM flow. Keep in mind this is with fully hot oil (viscosity of 5W-30 @ 200 deg F), so if you went nuts with the RPM with cold thick oil, you are going to create more delta-p across the filter.

I would think the Coyote doesn't produce any more than 12 GPM ... that's a ton of oil flow (ie, the whole 8 quarts circulates every 40 seconds).

PureOneflowdata.jpg

I suggest searching for the specs on the Ford Racing oil filter for the Coyote. If I recall correctly, it was designed to be pretty efficient and have a pretty low delta-p at high flow. Might be a hair better than the Ultra or Royal Purple - can't say without comparing specs.
i could never get a straight answer on gpm on my oil pump. Rather frustrating to say the least. Ill need to check out the frpp filter. So far im leaning Eao11 or Ultra

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I'm guessing that the bottom end is TOTALLY 'built' given that power level??

Is this going to be a drag race ONLY car?
its a fully built motor, nothing is stock in the heads, timing system or block. It could see 1500whp if i wanted to max the turbos out and push them past their efficiency.

no, it gets street duty racing too. However im aware its frowned upon by many.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The royal purple, Amsoil and Fram Ultra are all made by the same company, but I think from what I've gathered the royal purple is the most over built of the bunch so I'd use that one
the RP handles the high burst pressure. But flow is less than the amsoil iirc.
Originally Posted By: yvon_la

You'd have to be out on a race track a pretty long time to get the oil to 300 deg F. The 5.0L Coyote does not have the filter bypass in the block, so need one in the filter.
correct.

welcome2.gif

You definetely narrowed your options to some top notch filters!

I would recommend the Royal Purple filter above the others.

Not that they aren't great in their own right, by RP filters are built like tanks!

Good luck!
thumbsup2.gif

Ive narrowed it down some more. Haha.

So definitely between these

EA011
Ultra xg2
FRPP CM-6731-FL820

I found some specs on the frpp filter, Zeo. Still trying to find more on the other two. Thanks for the frrp recommendation Zeo it ended up being a great choice to consider. Now to decide which is best.

Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 Oil Filter
Measurements

* Filter Weight - 19.75 oz
* Can OD - 3.68" / Seam OD - 3.76"
* Overall Height - 3.99"
* Can Material - 0.019" thick steel
* Filter Element OD - 3.44" (at element)
* Filter Element Height - 2.81"
* Media - Cellulose - Synthetic Mix? Oiled? (appears orange)
* Number of pleats - 63 + 1 joint
* Depth of pleats - 0.73"
* Media length (unrolled) - 100" (seam crimped)
* Media width (glue not included) - 2.50"
* Media thickness - 0.029"
* Total media surface area - 250 sq. in.
* Total media volume - 7.25 cu. in.
* Inner Filter Support Material - 0.010" Thick Perforated Steel
* Inner Filter Support OD - 1.71"
* Indentifying marks
Can - 810050516 / Made in USA
Bar Code - 7_56122_07567_8
Label - 6945234
Base - 22 / MM
* Gasket Retention - Multiple Crimps
* Thread - M22-1.5
* Relief Valve Location - base end
* ADBV Material - Silicon

Last edited:
While this is based on visuals/opinion, the FRPP filter has drastically larger opening in the top plate over the Fram XG2. Looking at the two, it LOOKS like the FRPP filter would easily outflow the fram. I say this as I have that filter on my mustang, and currently the fram XG2 on my Jeep. Dont want anyone thinking I'm bad mouthing the Fram.

EDIT: sorry for the shabby quality, but here are 4 filters in this size. On the far right, Mobil 1 M-210, next is Fram Ultra XG2, followed by MC FL820s, and last on the far left the FRRP variant of the 820. Again, just visual. I will say the Ford racing filter is heavy, and I think its rated for higher PSI or burst pressure (something like that).

xO8g3B1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back