e85 who's running it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there's only two stations in town that sells it and since I was close yesterday I decided to put some in my Festiva. I put 4.4 gallons (at 1.76)of e85 with 5.6 gallons of 87. I don't know quite yet on results, it is a EFI but I'm not sure it exactly likes it. Occasionally i'll have dead spot in the accelerater. But it runs and accelerates better than i've ever felt it. Even if I can't run it in this car, my truck will get since it's a bi-fuel from the factory. Anybody else have experiences with E85? Eric

It gets terrible fuel economy. It costs more to run due to this and doesn't seem to perform any better, possibly worse. (based on FFV Taurus I've used it in.)

Does alcohol burn hotter than gas?

Does it combust as quickly? If not, will there be leftover alcohol leaving the combustion chamber alongside the exhaust?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!

if auto makers built the engines to make use of E85s higher octane the engines would make more power than gas fueled versions but they just pump E85 into gas optimized engines

Alcohol burns with higher octane and solvency, so it is a good detergent that cleans and burns better.

However, like xcr440sp said, fuel economy suck @$$.

quote:

Originally posted by jkhawaii:
if auto makers built the engines to make use of E85s higher octane the engines would make more power than gas fueled versions but they just pump E85 into gas optimized engines

My 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan has the "dual fuel" 3.3 litre V6. I can safely use Ethanol up to an E85 blend. Unfortunately, there aren't any Ethanol stations anywhere near me.

It's true that fuel mileage goes down when using Ethanol. EPA rates my van at 18/25 using 87 octane and 13/17 using E85. But since E85 is so much cheaper than gasoline, I bet the cost per driven mile would probably be about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back