E-core production area..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I thought I would let everyone know, yesterday I got the nickle tour of the E-core production area.

Obvioulsy I am not about to give away the secrets as I know for a fact other filter companies routinely monitor this website.

I will say however, from someone who has led many a tour through the other plant facilities, that the E-core production area is very impressive.

My comment to the engineer who is in charge of the E-core area was it is a shame that Champ has not made a video of it. As they have with the rest of the plant--and one that i was in charge of.

I told him I know that the part of the production line(s) where the element is assembled may be giving away "secrets" to competitors. But after the element is canned that there should be a video of the checks and balances along with the final testing to show quick lubes and others some of the quality control that goes into the filter. If you did that, 99.95% of the complaints ( that some in here have mentioned as well) from quick lubes would disappear.

There is a lot of technological checks on simple procedures to make sure the filter is assembled properly. Watching those live an in person shows why Champ rarely has a problem with the final product. They may get complaints from the uninitiated but that's from lack of "product knowledge"

Some bits of things I think I can mention..

There are laser that checks to make sure the element height is correct. Lasers that check to make sure the ADBP is inserted properly. Lasers which check the tension spring alignment and orientation. Lasers check the gasket for alignment.

There is a laser which checks the threads in the baseplate. If it detects a problem it kicks the offending filter offline. Where an operator hand checks the threads with a tool. If the filter mounts onto the tool, then the filter is given a second chance to go through the testing area. If it doesn't make it, it is then used for recycling.

As with all Champ spin-on oil filters, everyone is tested for leaks at the seam. E-cores are no different.

The production area where the endcaps are put onto the media is really neat. Don't want to say to much but it takes seconds to cure as opposed to going through an oven to cure the plastisol in the metal endcaps. Much quicker for production.

And while it seems like everything is now computer controlled, there is the same number of people on the productline line as there are for the metal endcap lines. Something I made mention of, as I thought there would be a few less.

So all in all very impressive if one ever gets the chance to go see them built.

btw..Champ has airconditioned the production plants. That was new!!!
----------------------------

I also saw the new engineering department and lab facilities. I call it the Taj Mahal compared to the old ones. They've added new testing equipment. I wanted to see the new multi-pass test machine but there was another tour group at the machine when I was there. So I walked past it while in action but I would have liked to have hung around longer. They have other new test machines as well. Besides a larger engineering staff.

I did see a NASCAR air filter. Champ hand builds it for 1 team. Apparently other teams want it but Champ has said no. It gives about 5 more horsepower. They can hand build 10 per day if that's all they did back at that part of the lab. Another team wanted 1,200 of them.

Had a good time catching up with a lot of old friends throughout the area's visited in the 2 hours I was there.

But I can announce a new development for BITOG types. Champ is closing their Mexican plant and moving the equipment back to the USA. This has been officially announced to the media just this week...if one knows where to look.

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
....I can announce a new development for BITOG types. Champ is closing their Mexican plant and moving the equipment back to the USA....

Bravo!
smile.gif
That's the sort of news you don't hear everyday. Any idea WHY they're moving production back to the USA?

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

quote:

....I can announce a new development for BITOG types. Champ is closing their Mexican plant and moving the equipment back to the USA....

Bravo!
smile.gif
That's the sort of news you don't hear everyday. Any idea WHY they're moving production back to the USA?

I'm betting all the Mexican workers have immigrated to the US and theres no one left...
lol.gif

Thanks for posting this and for the technical info you share. I'm due to change te oil in both cars next week. If I can't find the Ecore AC-Delco's in the sizes I need I'm going with the Super Techs.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

quote:

Bravo!
smile.gif

I never asked..and that's the truth.

But I can speculate.

When the plant was built, due to Mexican laws, only a portion of the production could be sent back to the USA. ( I think 15-25%) The reason the plant was built was to support sales South of our border ( from Mexico all the way down to Chile). Which was growing at a great rate.

I suspect that Champ needs the capability here in the USA because they are busy..
wink.gif

There is now another avenue for Champ to go to support sales south of the border.

quote:

Don't want to say to much but it takes seconds to cure as opposed to going through an oven to cure the plastisol in the metal endcaps. Much quicker for production.

Lemme guess - Champ's using a UV-cured polymer for this function now? Thanks for the update. Sounds like Champion Labs' business is booming.

Just curious to know if the entire champion labs production including the "clones" have the by-pass valve(not adbv) omitted from the internals? this would be the 3980 for the 4.3L G.M. product.

Almost all GM engines have the by-pass valve located in the block..they are not required in the filter element.

If there is a by-pass required in the element..Champ and other filter companies will assemble the filter with it.

quote:

Obvioulsy I am not about to give away the secrets as I know for a fact other filter companies routinely monitor this website.

so does fram monitor this site? they get slammed here on a daily basis. the past three years, the product has stayed the same from what I can tell.

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
so does fram monitor this site? they get slammed here on a daily basis. the past three years, the product has stayed the same from what I can tell.

I don't know, there are quite a few Fram fans that come out of the woodwork, just for Fram posts.
wink.gif

You can fool some of the people some of time. If you have the marketing muscle and advertising and placement dollars, you can fool enough of them to dominate the market and make good money on an inferior product. Although many of us here have dropped Fram and convinced others to, I doubt we are hurting them much yet. Likely it is something they need to think about. Unless they can prove some of the points posted here, the orange wall may crack.

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
Thanks for posting this and for the technical info you share. I'm due to change te oil in both cars next week. If I can't find the Ecore AC-Delco's in the sizes I need I'm going with the Super Techs.

I just saw (for the first time) AC PF47's in E-Core style at AZ. Looks the same as the ST, STP varieties, but I didn't have my mini mag with me to tell if the media was a different color. I have used ST's in the past with no problems, FWIW.

Yes AC's have been out for a while with the bypass holes blocked thankfully. Dare I say, I'd consider using one myself if my Purolators weren't so cheap.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Not UV, thermally bonded likely with ultrasound.

Correct enough..
wink.gif

Correct enough? Hah. I still bet that the end caps are pre-impregnated with a thermoset resin that is cured with RF energy. (microwaves) That would explain the plastic center tube.

Even more correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back