Dying TV recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got this Polaroid FLM-3232 from Circuit City back in 2006 when I first moved into my own place. I picked this because it was cheap compare to other name brand like Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi, Samsung, etc and the picture quality is not bad. It cost me $1100 instead of $1600 like some other brands

Then about 2 years ago it started taking longer and longer to power up depends on ambient temperature. It seems like a common problem to this model is the power supply dying and most people blame it on some Chinese capacitors. Mine seems to act differently as it looks to be either a cold solder or a borderline resonance/degration issue on the voltage supply toward the TV tuners (both analog and HDTV). It would always power on as a monitor for the DVD player and game console, but not a TV.

I have been either leaving it to warm up for 15-30 minutes before watching for 2 years, and then later with a hair dryer to accelerate the warm up. This weekend it finally stop responding to the hair dryer and I have to cycle through the power to catch an on cycle (about 20 on/off).

Wife has been bugging me to buy another TV because she has been missing shows. I tried delaying for so long and even opened up the TV to check for obvious bad capacitors. I couldn't find any visual defect and there were no power supply available to ordere because the company went out of business (defective design causes liability issue?).

Currently I'm using basic cable (analog) from Comcast and want to eventually switch to antenna when I have time to do the install. I'm thinking about 3 options:

1) Buy a new TV, that's going to cost something like $750 or so for a 42-46 in, 720p plasma or LCD, quality doesn't matter as I'm not paying for comcast HD and OTA HDTV still use only 720p mostly.

2) Buy a Tivo Series 2 for $25 without subscription, so I'm using it only as an analog receiver to get around my issues. Will be useless when I switch to antenna as it doesn't work with ATSC

3) Buy a Samsung QAM/ATSC tuner, I can use it to watch digital basic cable from Comcast, then when ready to switch to antenna, use it to watch ATSC. This guy is espensive ($80-200 on ebay) and popular, so I think in the worst case I can resell it, but ouch, it cost a lot for just a box.

4) Buy a CRT TV (old school) and fix the Polaroid in the mean time, I have to learn a whole bunch on switching power supply and could blow a few things up, or even need to modify a power supply from another TV to fit. I'm not sure if I have the time to do it and whether it is worth doing to only 1 unit. Beside, I have to get rid of the CRT later after I'm done fixing the Polaroid

5) Buy a 32" name brand TV for $400 or so. Whatever I should have gotten 4 years ago, and end up with a 32" monitor for DVD and games only.

Recommendation?

My friend fixed a few monitors with cold-solder issues by getting out the soldering iron and touching each solder connection to re-melt it.

It might be worth an hour of your time and you'd look like a magician to your wife if you fix it.

I just went through the same agony with my 35" RCA CRT TV that I bought in 1997. I shopped forever on line and finally bought a 37" panasonic 720p at Best Buy for $599 and a new Sony dvd player for $59 on Amazon. I did buy the 4 year geek squad $69 warranty so if the screen grenades it gets fixed for free. There is very little difference between 720p and 1080p unless you are watching a HDTV channel which I don't.

Last edited:
Go to a second hand store like Good-Will or a Veterans store. Now after Christmas is the best time to get a second hand TV or Computer. People get new ones for Christmas and donate the old ones. You can get a small TV for around $20 and a large for $40 to $80. We had a small TV that we use every day. It was going bad. Replaced it for $20 at a second hand store. That was almost a year ago and it is still working great. It has a real nice clear color picture.

Newegg has some real good deals on LCD tv's.

Right around the $300 mark you can get a nice 32 or 37 inch LCD delivered to your door, no tax, some are free shipping.

Check their open box specials and refurbished.

No need to spend 1000+ on a TV anymore, unless you think you have to have a 50 inch..

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Newegg has some real good deals on LCD tv's.

Right around the $300 mark you can get a nice 32 or 37 inch LCD delivered to your door, no tax, some are free shipping.

Check their open box specials and refurbished.

No need to spend 1000+ on a TV anymore, unless you think you have to have a 50 inch..

My problem with cheap TV is that they may end up grenade like my current one in a couple years due to bad parts. I'm talking about brands like Element, Westinghouse, Insignia, Dynex, etc.

#5, pick up a 32~40" 720p tv for around 400 bucks. bensbargains.net could have this taken care of by the end of the week.

26" Insignia, no problems in 2-3 years. Replaced it with a 32" DYnex: good picture, speakers really are bad. Have a 46" 120hz SONY, no problems in 2 years but was $1600. Just sprung 2 grand on a SONY XBR 52" 240hz and love it. However, unless you want to watch Blue Ray, Save your money and get a 720p, maybe even a plasma.

Finally I go the cheap man's route:

#2: buy a used Tivo for $25 and use it to bypass the bad receiver/decoder on the TV. Hey, it works except every time I switch channel I have to endure a .5 second banner that tells me I do not have subscription and I cannot record.

Should buy me enough time till I get an antenna setup and then use a DTV converter box, or finally have enough money saved up for a nice big TV.

I just gave away a 25" CRT Magnavox tv to a lady that works for my wife in health care. It was in my son's room and we bought him a 19" LCD with a built in DVD player. That 25 incher must have weighed 60-70 pounds but it had a great picture.

Our first LCD tv is a Sylvania 26" that is now mounted on our bedroom wall as my wife needs the noise to fall asleep. It's been a great television also.

Good luck with your choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back