Duramax fuel filter comparison Baldwin Vs Donaldso

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally run Donaldson filters on everything I have, but now I work near a Baldwin dealer which is convenient. I bought a bunch of oil filters but haven't examined them yet. The BF9882 fuel filter just wasn't sitting right with me. I bought 4. I sacrificed one for you guys and myself. Not generally impressed.

Donaldson

They both look pretty good to me, the real measure of quality is the micron rating, which we can't see from the pictures, but i wouldn't hesitate to run any Baldwins if i had to.

I don't see many fuel filters dissected, but I am curious as to what exactly you don't like about this filters performance? It seems to have done a fine job in my opinion but I'm no expert....

The coalescing media of the Donaldson and other filters like Racor are far superior and also have the addition of a secondary filter. Considering all the issues with CP4.2 pumps I'd want to run the better filter. Moreover, the Donaldson filter is sealed to the end cap and o-ring fit to the base and will not move around and no chance of leakage.

I would bet money that the Donaldson filter is made by Parker/Racor.

I would stay away from that Chinese Baldwin, Their oil filter for the Duramax is USA made & a well made filter.

It doesn't pay to be Brand loyal, I buy what I think is the best.

What I run on my D-max.

Donaldson power core air filter.
Racor fuel filter.
Fleetgaurd primary filter on my AirDog lift pump along with Baldwin water separator.
Baldwin oil filter.

Donaldson and Baldwin are both high quality filters. Thanks for the pics!

I do like the donaldson with the small secondary filter.

Donaldson lists the P550833 as 99% @ 4 micron. Baldwin has been super in the past with sharing filtration data about their filters all you have to do is email and ask.

FWIW wix lists their cross (33960XE) as 7 micron nominal

I have been into this specific topic (Dmax fuel filter) on another site.

I have emailed and called Wix, Purolator, Fram, Donaldson, Parker/Racor, Baldwin/Hastings, etc for specs on their fuel filters specific to the Dmax. To date, the ONLY company that was willing to share real-world good data was Baldwin/Hastings. That filter has an excellent efficieny and is a top-tier product, IMO.

Here is the Baldwin/Hastings data (it is taken from an email, so I am just typing it in rather trying to create a linked PDF, etc):
Quote:
The Baldwin BF9882 and Hastings FF1230 filters are branded equivalents. It has 2 separate elements that are multi-layered melt blown over cellulose base sheet media that is treated for water removal.
- Sandy Huckfeldt at Baldwin Filter -
date of report: 2-5-2012
Procedure: ISO 19438
Test stand: cyclic multipass
Test fluid: MIL H5605
Contaminant: ISOMTD/10955M
Flow rate: 1.5 gpm
Temp 104 F
BUGL (mg/L): 50mg/l
AntiStatic: Stadis 450
Dilution: 10:1
Terminal PSID: 5 psid
Test Base: FB0148
Test Filter: Hastings FF1230 averaged over 2 tests
Pleats: 91 external / 68 internal
Test time: 57:39 min
Retained Capacity: 16.43 grams
Initial Restriction: 6.25 psid
size..........eff........beta
Tom Richmond

Some of the other companies either said nothing, or simply redirected me back to the web-site in some circular refernce purgatory.

Racor's site has what appears at first to be a decent listing, but when you ask for the particulars, it falls on deaf ears. They claim their filter to be "4um" but don't state any effeciency with that size. IIRC, this Racor product is the OEM eqiv (made for and marketed by A/C Delco).
http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Racor_Fuel_Filtration_-_PFF50216_-_7717.pdf
I have got nothing back to my email inquiry.

Wix had claimed 4um nominal for the standard filter, and 7um for the "XE" version; you can see that data on the Fleetfilter site. However, the Wix site has removed that data and gone the way of the Dodo, and they now list 7um for both. I, for one, simply abhor the manner in which Wix has let their site go into marketing manure. I used to be able to count on them for good data and decent answers, but they have bowed to market pressure and gone main-stream in their boiler-plate answers.
http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/g06-10/33960.html
http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/g06-10/33960XE.html
http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/InterchangeMultiSearch.aspx?q=33960&o=me
No emails back from them past the canned manure they typically send.

Fram; no answer as of yet from their official contact point. Perhaps MotorKing (Jay) could get us some REAL data for their Fram offering.

Donaldson; no answer at all.

Parker; a courtesy answer to my email akin to "we'll get back with ya", but nothing in more than a month. Each "reply" I send simply gets a ping back with the same canned answer of the fact that they are in receipt of my quest and will pass it on (presumably into the trash at this point, 'cause the echo of silence of deafening ....)

Purlator: no answer at all.

Nate, if the Baldwin filters are not "sitting right with you" then by all means, ship the others to me! I will gladly take them off your hands. Send me a PM.

Last edited:
great info dnewton... so the baldwin does a have secondary inner element... nice

Baldwin for the WIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back