Dumping Verizon Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see any of this as excessively frugal at all. My family has specific needs and we choose not to overspend in order to fulfill them.

Another way of putting it is that I have been self-employed for a very long time and have always tried my best to use our finances to a better end. For example, we rarely go out to eat. However we do buy nutritious high quality foods, cost be [censored], and avoid all the poisonous alternatives that are out there.

The marketplace is all about choices and I have not regretted ignoring all the stereotypes and labels. We all should put our money where it can go the furthest.

For a comparison sake on Verizon:

I pay $54.50/month(work offers 22% discount) for 12GB shared at full speed LTE that carries over typically 1-2GB additional , $10/month fees, and 3 phones @ $20/each line access.

So $41.50 per line on Verizon 4GB+ per line then massively throttled with incredible coverage around New England. Also tethering from Mac Book Pro is full LTE not some abysmal speed which is important to me.

Last edited:
Alarm Guy-
Thank you for you help. Regarding Cricket, my research suggests much reduced speeds when network is busy (like in big cities). AT&T knocks down speed so their own customers get the speed they expect (and are paying for).

Originally Posted by willbur
Alarm Guy-
Thank you for you help. Regarding Cricket, my research suggests much reduced speeds when network is busy (like in big cities). AT&T knocks down speed so their own customers get the speed they expect (and are paying for).

Sure thing. I would question your source that suggests your statement. Simply because if your Cricket customer you're an AT&T customer.

Edit:
I did some research for you if anything for the benefit of others. All cell phone companies work the same if the network is congested speeds will slow down no different from your home internet company.

I got this right from AT&T website regarding AT&T service and again I remind everyone if your Cricket customer you're also an AT&T customer.

AT&T terms of service. click

Last edited:
No complaints on Project Fi.

$20/mo unlimited calling and texting and $10/gig. Bill is capped at $80/mo.

But you need a compatible phone.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

We pay actual payment of $90 a month for unlimited text data and calls for three lines..First five gigs each line which is 15 gigs total is high speed and after that will slow down till the end of the month. Price is capped.
We have never used more than 5 gigs per line in years.

Alarm Guy-
regarding my source: some from this forum on BITOG in addition to I-net search.

Alarm Guy-
forgot to mention Cricket cellular speed is capped at 8Mbps- about 4-5 x slower than AT&T. Coverage is the same.

Alarm Guy-
forgot to mention Cricket cellular speed is capped at 8Mbps- about 4-5 x slower than AT&T. Coverage is the same.

Correct that it is capped at 8MBPS, incorrect that it is 4-5x slower.

Hey, we all do what is good for us certainly you are not looking for the same type of service and will be happy with TMobile, nothing wrong with that. The posts in here speak the truth (not just from me) about Cricket as well, clearly its not for you, its just your reasons are grossly wrong and inaccurate.
ATT/Cricket service will provide the far superior network reach then T Mobile and the average person will never, ever, notice any speed difference.

The GOOD news is with this type of thinking, there will always be people who think Cricket is in some way inferior to other providers regardless of the FACT that Cricket is ATT.
I am happy about that, if everyone stopped paying higher prices for other plans and went to services like Cricket it would force higher prices then I pay. :eek:)

Again, I can say nothing wrong about T-Mobile, looks like some good plans but not as good as Cricket and I am not knocking T Mobile in anyway. I am just stating for others reading this, your comments on Cricket (except your very last post about speed) are all innuendo and inaccurate vs ACTUAL people who use Cricket.

Those types of statements can be made of any product or service.
Best part is, with Cricket, there is no contract, don't like it in 2 months, cancel it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

Best part is, with Cricket, there is no contract, don't like it in 2 months, cancel it.

Does Cricket give you a free, large 4G LG smart-phone like Metro PCS (T-Mobile)?
If so, can you cancel after two months and keep the new, free phone?

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

We pay actual payment of $90 a month for unlimited text data and calls for three lines..First five gigs each line which is 15 gigs total is high speed and after that will slow down till the end of the month. Price is capped.
We have never used more than 5 gigs per line in years.

I take it you don't do much travel. I land in London, my phone works. Then to Dubai, my phone works. Turkey? Phone works.

Costs remain the same with the exception that some countries have a per minute charge for outgoing calls.

In the US, my phone freely hops between T-Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular. I can make calls and receive texts if I'm on wifi in a dead zone.

I just left T-mobile and went to Verizon. I paid a lot less with unlimited data on T-mobile, but their coverage around here is lousy. Go just a few minutes east or west of town, we never had coverage. All of our friends did, they were all on Verizon. They definitely arent cheap though, on the other hand low price doesnt make up for coverage that just isnt there.

Hey Alarm Guy (applicable name)
Do you even know what "innuendo" means?
LOL

Gee duh.. Now that's an intelligent post... Keep up the good work

I'm on Straight talk from Walmart $55 for unlimited everything 4G speed/GSM (uses ATT towers), But I think data is capped at 20GB and no tethering or hotspot allowed
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Ok. I'm going to ask a question that will probably seem silly and dumb to most on here. Why are people concerned about "speed" when using a cell phone. Does that affect call quality? Yes I know you can do other things with cell phones but why is speed so important? I barely understand the need for different Giga Bytes on cell plans. Is that only important when you use a phone as a computer to do computer like things. Not trying to be silly or facetious. I just really don't understand.

Different "GB" packages on cell plans are referring to the amount of data you are allowed to use before being cut off or incurring additional charges.

Speeds are expressed as MB/s and your connection speed affects how quickly (or slowly) you can download from or upload to the 'net.

If you believe that phones are only phones and computers are only computers then neither will be of much importance to you.

Also a cricket user for a year and a half or so. Have had great service everywhere and no issues. I agree with everything Alarm guy says. I'm on the $35 dollar plan for 5gb. Usually use between 1-2 gigs a month. I don't watch movies or play video games on my phone. Data, calls, and text work fine on my Iphone 6s plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back