Dumping Factory Oil Fill Early ?

It’s M1 Truck/SUV 0w20 … decent stuff w/ 30% PAO. Have one more jug of that.
I’m a bit low on 5w30 and our ecoboost Stang specs that. Twisty TDI 4 bangster.
Will eventually bump it up on the Jeep when this stash fits on 4 shelves again 😷
Also have some RGT or VME to try if this lingers.
M1 0W20 burnt in my 2012 Honda Fit Sport 1.5 VTEC when I switched over at abut 1.2k miles - then it stabilized after about 750 miles.
I don't recall if that was EP - I don't think I would run AFE, Maybe it was 5W20 M1. too long ago.

Right or wrongly - in my new (at the time) Hyundai 2017 Sonata 2.4L DI (non - turbo) , I dumped the factory fill at 750 miles and replaced with a syn- blend and ran that 3K miles . After that I have only run synthetic oils (M1, PP , QSUD , etc.) My question is did I do the right thing for this engine with my protocol / process ? ... MInd you Corvettes and other high end sports cars get shipped from the factory with synthetic oil in them , so there goes the theory that I should have used PYB conventional oil for the first 10K miles of the engines life ... *So which camp re you in and why ? Leave the factory fill in and use conventional oil for several thousand miles Or dump the factory fill early and then go to a syn - blend or synthetic oil after that ?
Oh, NO! Not the bi Monthly do I dump the factory fill early - again ! :)

Still unresolved, and it will likely remain so. Has anyone seen a study on a group of engines with teardowns?
If not We will never know with DATA in hand - and that may not apply in your circumstance.

Except on Non-filtered non- pressure lubed ODPE it's NEVER done anything good - only bad - for me,
and I've broken in over 70 new car engines over a 1/2 century into the past millennium.
A good sample size.
Early change will not get out large pieces of gasket and silicone material blocking the filter pickup
That requires a pan drop. everything else damaging will stay in the pan bottom or be captured by the Oil filter

Break in is important - on what you avoid. I try to avoid long trips in the first run in and the first 750 miles.
Every engine that got long tripped early ran poorly. Also avoid high rpms - but don't lug either. I like to short heat cycle the engine - don't run it for more than say 20mins without a shut down and cool down. This seems to work.

I would leave the FF in for at LEAST 2500-3500 miles. My 2019 Jetta lease had exceptionally good factory oil and an excellent factory filter. That stayed in and was performing superbly for 6Kmi 10 month when i had them change it. What they put in wasn't good. In fact it was the wrong spec and the wrong grade (5W40 vs. required 0W20)

- Ken

Jaguar recommends 16,000 mile OCI's for their supercharged V8 engine. I don't think so Tim.
They take almost 7 quarts of a specialized and expensive oil that can't be found at Walmart and a cartridge filter that is about $30.
As part of the warranty, the dealer will perform free oil & filter changes for the first 5 years/50,000 miles. I appreciate that but I am going to change out the factory fill myself at around 2500 miles and do it again at 7500 miles.

One one hand, we are supposed to trust the factory engineers and their suggestions, on the other my brain is telling me that a supercharged engine with 575 HP might be better served with no more than 7500 mile OCI's even if it costs me about $130 in materials.

I can't see any harm in doing my own oil & filter changes in between the free ones that the dealer will perform, The free changes will help offset the cost of the ones that I perform and I'll sleep better at night.

Synthetic oil can be installed into your vehicle when you get home from the dealer after purchase. Today's machining is not yesterday machining tolerances.
I restore performance cars and build engines as a hobby and pastime.
I have never seen significant tolerance or clearance differences on cars from the 1930' s on up.
Honda has some 4 cyls with (specific journal) bearing clearances around .0012" but still with a .0010 tolerance!

I think Materials have changed and AUTOMATION has advanced. But with lightweight materials, even with significant buttressing and deep webbing, the blocks and cylinder liners still distort - maybe MORESO, and require generous clearances.
Engines weighed a LOT prior to 1965. My 1965 Buick Nailhead 401 is a great example; The modernised 455 that came later that decade weighed almost 100 lbs less. the later was a strong engine, but no personality.
- Ken

A friend would like to know have you ever cut one of those filters and what did you find inside? 😎
I haven't. I don't have a way to cut one without contaminating it.
I don't buy new vehicles very often. I have a 98, 04, 09, & two 14s which were all bought new. 4 of the 5 of those have over 100K on them and I've never had any mechanical engine problems from them. Certainly can't prove whether my methods matter or not though.

I always try to change the oil around 1000 to 1500 miles on a new cars first oil change and around 4 or 5 hours on small engines. Typically all new engines will have extra metal and contamination from break in.

Right or wrongly - in my new (at the time) Hyundai 2017 Sonata 2.4L DI (non - turbo) , I dumped the factory fill at 750 miles and replaced with a syn- blend and ran that 3K miles . After that I have only run synthetic oils (M1, PP , QSUD , etc.) My question is did I do the right thing for this engine with my protocol / process ? ... MInd you Corvettes and other high end sports cars get shipped from the factory with synthetic oil in them , so there goes the theory that I should have used PYB conventional oil for the first 10K miles of the engines life ... *So which camp re you in and why ? Leave the factory fill in and use conventional oil for several thousand miles Or dump the factory fill early and then go to a syn - blend or synthetic oil after that ?
Why are you worried about something you did 4 years ago in which you can’t change?

Oh, NO! Not the bi Monthly do I dump the factory fill early - again ! :)

Still unresolved, and it will likely remain so. Has anyone seen a study on a group of engines with teardowns?
If not We will never know with DATA in hand - and that may not apply in your circumstance.

Except on Non-filtered non- pressure lubed ODPE it's NEVER done anything good - only bad - for me,
and I've broken in over 70 new car engines over a 1/2 century into the past millennium.
A good sample size.
Early change will not get out large pieces of gasket and silicone material blocking the filter pickup
That requires a pan drop. everything else damaging will stay in the pan bottom or be captured by the Oil filter

Break in is important - on what you avoid. I try to avoid long trips in the first run in and the first 750 miles.
Every engine that got long tripped early ran poorly. Also avoid high rpms - but don't lug either. I like to short heat cycle the engine - don't run it for more than say 20mins without a shut down and cool down. This seems to work.

I would leave the FF in for at LEAST 2500-3500 miles. My 2019 Jetta lease had exceptionally good factory oil and an excellent factory filter. That stayed in and was performing superbly for 6Kmi 10 month when i had them change it. What they put in wasn't good. In fact it was the wrong spec and the wrong grade (5W40 vs. required 0W20)

- Ken
*I'll be running the ARCOgraphite regimen from now on with new vehicles !! ... Good to know that I at least followed your other recommendations regarding engine break in (minus dumping the FF early) .

What made PYB so special I have never been able to figure it out?
If I remember correctly some claimed Pennzoil was dumping left over top tier base stocks in it and that it also was a great cleaner.

It was a great cleaner as I used it for that this year. My brew was early 2016.

Also someone may have got a deal on it. You know how that goes. Next was Smittys....remember? I did not go there..lol

Why oh why, how did vehicles break in before some persom puts a video on Youtube. I worked for decades is fleet maintenance and the thousands of vehicles over the years did fine with out some internet voodoo.
When I was 18 and out of High School and started working on class 8 trucks I asked the boss about engine break in. He said "see that truck leaving the garage that we just overhauled? He's going to back up to a 40k pound trailer and haul it to California".

Back