Dumping Factory Oil Fill Early ?

I have not heard of Hyundai using specific break in additives on their factory fill oil. Honda I know does, or used to. Not sure if they changed it up recently. They recommend running the factory fill to the first OCI in their owners manual.

unless your owners manual specifically states you shouldn’t change the factory fill, I guess you can do as you wish. I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt. Although I’d run it for alittle more, maybe 1500-2000 miles to really make sure the contaminants have been captured in the oil. No point in changing early then running a normal interval if the second interval has just as much contaminants in it.

dumped my girlfriends cheap semi-syn oil -5-20 ASAP in her 2018 kia optima 2.4 for typical fake synthetic Quaker State ultimate durability 10-30 in Pa. IMO 500 miles is enough + since factory synthetics are fake aka group III unlike redline that recommends waiting a bit no waiting is needed!!

I am an advocate for hard break in and early changes. I run WOT after 50 miles and the oil is up to temp. I'll get at least 1 WOT run every time the car is on for the first 500 miles, dump the factory fill; do the same thing again till 1000 miles, dump that then run 5k OCI. These are turbo motors and normally have a flash tune at 50 miles.
My wife's AMG gets what mercedes gives it so that will have the factory fill for a year until service time.

Right or wrongly - in my new (at the time) Hyundai 2017 Sonata 2.4L DI (non - turbo) , I dumped the factory fill at 750 miles and replaced with a syn- blend and ran that 3K miles . After that I have only run synthetic oils (M1, PP , QSUD , etc.) My question is did I do the right thing for this engine with my protocol / process ? ... MInd you Corvettes and other high end sports cars get shipped from the factory with synthetic oil in them , so there goes the theory that I should have used PYB conventional oil for the first 10K miles of the engines life ... *So which camp re you in and why ? Leave the factory fill in and use conventional oil for several thousand miles Or dump the factory fill early and then go to a syn - blend or synthetic oil after that ?
I think you did fine. I wouldn't worry one bit about it. IIRC I drove my 2016 Rubicon home from the dealer and dumped the FF with about 60 miles on it. I filled it with PYB ran that to 1,000 miles, dumped it, and ran PU 5W30 changing it @5K miles. Then I changed the oil and filter every 5K miles after that. It's currently filled with Mobil 1 ESP 0W30. Some here would call that a waste of good oil, so be it. ;)

XOM will tell you that you can run Mobil 1 in a new engine w/o any concerns. I opted for PYB because it was only staying in the sump for about 1,000 miles.

I think you did fine. I wouldn't worry one bit about it. IIRC I drove my 2016 Rubicon home from the dealer and dumped the FF with about 60 miles on it. I filled it with PYB ran that to 1,000 miles, dumped it, and ran PU 5W30 changing it @5K miles. Then I changed the oil and filter every 5K miles after that. It's currently filled with Mobil 1 ESP 0W30. Some here would call that a waste of good oil, so be it. ;)

XOM will tell you that you can run Mobil 1 in a new engine w/o any concerns. I opted for PYB because it was only staying in the sump for about 1,000 miles.
Interesting discovery with the Rubicon just now. I dumped FF @ 500 and put in a Fram Ultra. Did another change at 3k and planned to start 5k OCI’s with 2x on filter.
While topping up the bug juice for that time of year - decided to check the oil.
Stick was dry. 😳 Added a quart to fill - (V6‘s only hold 5 quarts now.)
Not happy … bought in June and has 6400 miles. (Just over 3k it’s down a quart) 😮

Interesting discovery with the Rubicon just now. I dumped FF @ 500 and put in a Fram Ultra. Did another change at 3k and planned to start 5k OCI’s with 2x on filter.
While topping up the bug juice for that time of year - decided to check the oil.
Not happy … bought in June and has 6400 miles. (Just over 3k it’s down a quart) 😮

Perhaps a check underneath for any leaks is prudent here?

Perhaps a check underneath for any leaks is prudent here?
Did not see any … but will get under it in the next couple days … look in the V too …
Had our last Pentastar for 7 years and it did not consume oil … hope this is a fluke …
If not … it’s a real easy oil change (one jug) and easy to top up …

I'm actually right in the middle of this with my 2020 Ranger. The FF got dumped at 1000 miles, and the Pro-DS will get dumped at 5000 (4000 on the oil) and then onward with 5k oil changes (Because Direct Injection) with 5W-30 Pro-DS (Or something else if it becomes as competitive as the 6qt boxes).

The rear diff also got dumped at 1000 miles and will get dumped again at 5k, then it will be left alone until 30k (If we buy the RV we're looking at and do some fairly heavy towing).

FWIW, my Accord also got an early change, and it is still going strong nearing 250k, so running a Honda the full interval on the FF is probably not strictly necessary. Those moving parts break in much faster than people think.

Last edited:
What oil/grade are you using? I would check for leaks, especially in the valley where the oil cooler/filter assembly resides. In you have no leaks, then if it's a 20 grade I would consider going with your favorite Xw30 for one OCI. I wouldn't be happy either with a quart in 3K miles, but as we both know it would be considered well within the normal limits. Yes they went to a 5 quart capacity with the PUG upgrade.

I dump mine every 5K miles and run a Fram Ultra as well. I might go 10 K miles on the filter, but that would keep the filter in service for over 3 years.

On my last 4 vehicles (span of 25 yrs) I have done FF dumps between 2500-3000 mi. Usually will change again in another 3K then at 4K on the third OCI. At that point it is usually at 10K. Every 5K afterwards if not using a full synthetic. All of the engines used no appreciable amount of oil later in life. Works for me. YMMV

Point of interest,
Italian tune ups happened during the Factory Fills whenever the opportunity presented itself. :cool:

Last edited:
I change the oil & filter after I drive it home from the dealership, then again at 1K miles, then every 5K until I can get interval established via UOA reports.

Right or wrongly - in my new (at the time) Hyundai 2017 Sonata 2.4L DI (non - turbo) , I dumped the factory fill at 750 miles and replaced with a syn- blend and ran that 3K miles . After that I have only run synthetic oils (M1, PP , QSUD , etc.) My question is did I do the right thing for this engine with my protocol / process ? ... MInd you Corvettes and other high end sports cars get shipped from the factory with synthetic oil in them , so there goes the theory that I should have used PYB conventional oil for the first 10K miles of the engines life ... *So which camp re you in and why ? Leave the factory fill in and use conventional oil for several thousand miles Or dump the factory fill early and then go to a syn - blend or synthetic oil after that ?
I also dumped out factory fill after 500kms then again at 1000kms.
Our 2019 santa fe has the 2.0turbo.
Read lots about the theta2 engine. That was my motivation.
I also change the oil every 4-5 months.
We don't drive very far and do only short trip driving in very cold weather.

What oil/grade are you using? I would check for leaks, especially in the valley where the oil cooler/filter assembly resides. In you have no leaks, then if it's a 20 grade I would consider going with your favorite Xw30 for one OCI. I wouldn't be happy either with a quart in 3K miles, but as we both know it would be considered well within the normal limits. Yes they went to a 5 quart capacity with the PUG upgrade.

I dump mine every 5K miles and run a Fram Ultra as well. I might go 10 K miles on the filter, but that would keep the filter in service for over 3 years.
It’s M1 Truck/SUV 0w20 … decent stuff w/ 30% PAO. Have one more jug of that.
I’m a bit low on 5w30 and our ecoboost Stang specs that. Twisty TDI 4 bangster.
Will eventually bump it up on the Jeep when this stash fits on 4 shelves again 😷
Also have some RGT or VME to try if this lingers.

Back