Dual Mass Flywheel to "regular" flywheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I tried it and didn't quite go as expected. However, I'm getting a new clutch! I managed to get the clutch smoking on my hill and figured that was good. Then when going up my hill, I shifted to 2nd gear and ... that was it. No more clutch. But, we know something is wrong! Have new one being drop shipped to the mechanic. AAA flatbedded the car up.

I kid! It actually seemed to help. I did maybe 15 "bad" take offs. I have never had to talk to myself as much when driving haha.

I never got it hot enough to smell the Clutch. Drive around my bachelorhood a bit. Then finished off on my hill. Would stop then really slip the clutch and give it a lot of gas to get going. The first 4 or 5 it was VERY shaky. Then after that it seemed to calm down. We'll see how it is tomorrow.

Maybe it was deposits after all? I have rode with others that drive manual transmission - if they can get 100K out of a clutch, Ican't see why I wouldn't get 300K.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: Miller88

They made manual trans Focus wagons? I need one!

Mine has the highest gearing from the factory in an MTX75
frown.gif
The SES model for 2011 had more "normal" gearing. It's only turning like 2500 at 75.

Man, they are not easy to find! I just bought a beater wagon (88 Camry) but a deal came up on a 2006 Focus wagon with a MT that I just couldn't resist.

One nice is that at least tranny swaps among these cars is pretty easy, and there are a lot of MTX-75's in junkyards for a song. I already found the tall-geared box (3.42FD) from a 2004, low miles, for cheap. I just need to pick it up. So, if you hate the gearing in your Focus, swapping it is pretty simple. If you have to pull it for a clutch job, you may as well get the gearing that you want!

I stand corrected! I have 3.56 in mine.

No shaking this morning. Well that saved me a bunch, I think!

Good news, now that I think about it, our Focus will do the odd juddery clutch start, but only after its sat for a while and then it goes away after a couple more starts.

Now I just have to call the dealer and have them look at the motor mounts.

I think you had the wrong mentality with this
If you are under powertrain warranty, you should have got Ford involved
If your dealer refused, you rope corporate into it

Why are you paying out of pocket for a clutch that lasted sub ~50k

Good luck getting a dealer or manufacturer to warranty a clutch. They're considered a wear item. Even the Chevy Cruise owners who were having clutch issues at less than 10k miles due a known defect were getting the run-around. Couple that with the fact that this car has 50k + miles on it? Never gonna happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back