DT Phantom tires made by Michelin?

Anyone know if that’s true? Got a set of these for my 95 Hardbody beater. Only have the rears mounted so far as they had to order the other 2. Will get full driving impressions once the fronts are mounted tomorrow. These were the cheapest tires in 225/70/15. I was only driving this truck once a week, but recently I’ve been driving it more due to the high fuel prices. I don’t expect full Michelin quality at $68 a tire but looking forward to seeing how they do with some drive time.

Attachments

• 52371865-2D5D-4E1A-83AC-E4232A61C5FA.jpeg
    52371865-2D5D-4E1A-83AC-E4232A61C5FA.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 123
Someone posting on a YouTube video that claims to work for Discount Tire says they are made by Kumho. It looks like Michelin helped them with some advertising in the late 1990s.

Who gave you that idea, the tire salesman? ;)

"We all know" that Arctic Claw snows are made by Cooper, but tire shops aren't allowed to advertise that, because it could cut into their own higher profit branded line. You're in the same situation, look up the DOT code.

Who gave you that idea, the tire salesman? ;)

"We all know" that Arctic Claw snows are made by Cooper, but tire shops aren't allowed to advertise that, because it could cut into their own higher profit branded line. You're in the same situation, look up the DOT code.

No the internet but obviously you can’t believe everything on the internet.
The DOT code is K2YW YA5F.
I haven’t found anything conclusive when trying to look the DOT code up.

The DOT tire code (YA) indicates that it is manufactured by Madras Rubber Factory (MRF) the largest tire manufacturer in India.

The DOT code for the plant is K2, which is a Kumho factory in Vietnam

The factory it was made in is the first 2 characters. They are switching to 3-digit tire factory codes, and existing 2-digit codes are converted to 3-digit by adding a "1" in front of the 2-digit code. So K2 will become 1K2

The next 2 digits, YW in this case, is Kumho's code for 225/70-15. Each tire mfr has its own side codes

The next 4 digits, YA5F, the mfrs can use for whatever they want.

The DOT code for the plant is K2, which is a Kumho factory in Vietnam

The factory it was made in is the first 2 characters. They are switching to 3-digit tire factory codes, and existing 2-digit codes are converted to 3-digit by adding a "1" in front of the 2-digit code. So K2 will become 1K2

The next 2 digits, YW in this case, is Kumho's code for 225/70-15. Each tire mfr has its own side codes

The next 4 digits, YA5F, the mfrs can use for whatever they want.
My bad...you are correct, slacktide. I misread the code...thanks for the correction.

Back