DSL slow at night...what could be the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am really pished now- at night it drops to 1-2 mbps; even when we had embarq 3 mbps it wasn't this bad...and Centurylink technical support can't figure it out, they're morons...don't even know the modem model number correctly. i think it's time to leave this idiotic ISP. the last 2 times the call got disconnected while on the phone with technical support.

i am still trying to make sure i won't run into trouble by setting the modem to bridge...that's going to be the last resort...i doubt it will fix it though...

Pick up a cheap D-Link DSL modem (the DSL-2320B) if you can. Try that using PPPoE with your Linksys.

I've found that modem to be very reliable and provide excellent sync speed.

Or do like I did and dump dsl for vdsl, I get 10megs now and NO slow down at night during peak rush hour times :)
I use att u-verse, super pleased thus far.

Last edited:
For the record, I don't believe that putting your ADSL gateway in bridge mode will fix the problem since it seems that the problem only occurs at specific times of day. If the gateway wasn't fast enough to process the traffic, it would do it at all times, not just specific times.

As others pointed out, you are most likely dealing with CenturyLink's network congestion.

Yeah...i figured that much, QP.
I am in contact with one of their reps from an online forum (DSL reports) and he tells me that there's some tech work going on in my area which should improve things at the end of the week; I am keeping a log of my speeds this week at various times, which he wants me to email him if things don't improve. He also promised to issue some credit for the low speeds that we've experienced...

will see what happens...Tonight was the best night in about 3 days...where it is usually around 2-3 megs around 8 pm, tonight it was ~ 7 Megs...

You have any way of logging into the modem and checking out your DSL profile?

Here's mine for example from the Comtrend I'm using to trial VDSL2 with (not on the VDSL2 profile yet):

comtrend01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back