Dryer Vent Vapour Barrier

IMG_5644.jpeg
I would like to change my dryer vent for one that is easier to clean, current one has no strait access so you have to pull the washer and dryer out to clean it. Big pain.

However the tube that goes through the wall is taped onto the vapour barrier. I don’t see anyway I could seal this up properly without having to pull the drywall(not happening, I don’t want a new vent that bad) to re-tape the new tube to the barrier.

Am I missing something or am I stuck with the this vent without this becoming a big project.

Why not just clean it from the wall cap on the exterior wall?

The exhaust tube should be flashed to the WRB aka housewrap on the exterior wall. The larger opening in the interior wall is normal.

Can you clean it from outside with a flexible brush set? That's how I do mine.

I use mine with a cordless drill.

Why not just clean it from the wall cap on the exterior wall?

The exhaust tube should be flashed to the WRB aka housewrap on the exterior wall. The larger opening in the interior wall is normal.
That’s why I want to change it. The cap on the outside isn’t removable so it’s impossible to get anything in to clean it out.

That’s why I want to change it. The cap on the outside isn’t removable so it’s impossible to get anything in to clean it out.
The cap should either have a flapper door or a removable screen.

You would thread a snake in there to clean it from either side and you could either use a vacuum to suck or push things along.

Maybe a new outside access would be easier, unless it's more than 10ft off the ground.

I have one like this, that has no screen. I pop the louvers out to brush it. I can also see when It needs cleaning, when the louvers don't open as far.

The cap should either have a flapper door or a removable screen.

You would thread a snake in there to clean it from either side and you could either use a vacuum to suck or push things along.
It has a flapper with a fixed covering that’s open at the bottom. Can’t really do much through it.

Maybe a new outside access would be easier, unless it's more than 10ft off the ground.

I have one like this, that has no screen. I pop the louvers out to brush it. I can also see when It needs cleaning, when the louvers don't open as far.

That would be perfect but the tube and outside part are one piece on my current one hence my dilemma.

I think I’m just stuck with it.

Is it that big of a deal to pull the dryer out? Mine hardly gets any lint build-up so I plumb it out once every 3 years. I doubt anyone else would need to do it more than once a year.

I changed out the flexible pipe for straight pipe a few years ago - lint accumulation dropped from lots to almost nothing.
Yeah I have a straight pipe in the wall...I wasn't aware there were flex pipes installed in wall? Unless you are just talking about the run from the dryer to the wall.

Yeah I have a straight pipe in the wall...I wasn't aware there were flex pipes installed in wall? Unless you are just talking about the run from the dryer to the wall.
Correct, I meant the piping from the dryer vent out to the wall.

I would be appalled by any flexible piping that was not accessible.

Back