dry rot

Guess I drive like an old man, so my brother tells me
lol.gif

I rotate my tires(all 5) religiously every 5K..... they have close to 30K and not much wear....

had these(BFG KO2's) installed at the stealership 4+ years ago and the young guys who worked there kept 2 of the old tires(older BFG's) that had almost 50K
wink.gif

anything on the market I could apply to the sidewalls to help slow down the dry rot ?

thanks
11.gif

They are probably running hot. How much air pressure you running. If your door says 35 and you truck came with a P meteric tire you need to increase the pressure. I have a 1/2 to 4wd truck BFGoodrich consumer affairs said to run 44lbs

Do those Tire Shine sprays pull the oils out of the tires speeding up the dry rot ? ? ?
I've never used them (I'm to cheap).

OP, do you park in a garage ? / that would help.

I had 103,000 miles on my first set of tires / I admit I ran them too long.
The second set I may get 65,000.

OP - Get yourself a Digital Tire Pressure Gage if you don't already have one.
There great for adding or removing air / quick and easy.

When I check my tire pressure, I fill out a Spread-Sheet along with the Temperature.
[Linked Image]

running BFG TA/KO2's 285/65/18's load range E

usually run them at btwn 50 and 60 psi …..

they're close to 32K miles now

Last edited:
Soap and water is really all you should use. Many of the products people put on the sidewalls to protect the rubber actually do the opposite. Tires already have anti-ozonants and anti-oxidants formulated in the rubber.

Originally Posted by phillyFX4

anything on the market I could apply to the sidewalls to help slow down the dry rot ?

thanks
11.gif

Stop buying tires made by Michelin... the king of dry rot. (hint: Michelin owns BFG)

Putting some goop on the sidewalls is a major gamble, besides by the time the sidewall gets dry rot cracks, the tread has hardened and will be less safe for ice or rain. If treated well, you shouldn't have excessive dry rot for at least the first 6 years.

There are 3 main things for tires kept on the vehicle - besides the obvious of proper inflation level, but it is unlikely that you need more than 40PSI unless you're hauling loads or these tires are smaller than the factory tires.

1) Try to park where there is not direct sun, for example out in the open facing north or south with unobstructed sun from east or west. If you do this in your driveway at home, or at work every day, expect shorter life before dryrot.

2) Don't let it sit undriven for long periods of time. Driving spreads the lubricants and protectants around and to the surface of the tire.

3) Use only mild soap to wash them, similar to what you'd use on the paint to not strip wax away. Do not use those super strong spray-on wheel cleaners either unless you know what is in them and are sure it is 100% compatible with tire rubber. Of course they (manufacturer) would say it is but that doesn't make it true. If it lifts grime off your wheels better than mild soap solution does, odds are very high that it's worse on your tires.

Last edited:
Guess I drive like an old man, so my brother tells me
lol.gif

I rotate my tires(all 5) religiously every 5K..... they have close to 30K and not much wear....

had these(BFG KO2's) installed at the stealership 4+ years ago and the young guys who worked there kept 2 of the old tires(older BFG's) that had almost 50K
wink.gif

thanks
11.gif

Keep them out of the sun. That's about all you can do. U/V protectors do more harm than good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StarCaller
@MasterSolenoid

I had 103,000 miles on my first set of tires

what kind of tires ?

Good Year - Wrangler, RT/S

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mrsilv04

thanks
11.gif

Stop buying tires made by Michelin... the king of dry rot. (hint: Michelin owns BFG)

LOL

"Our tires wear so well that dry rot is more of a concern than mileage." Sounds like a TERRIBLE problem to have.

New formulations haven't had quite the dry rot problems of old.

I've always have used tire shine on my tires and never suffered from dry rot, but I normally wear tires in just 2-2.5 years of use so they don't get a chance to dry rot. It's more due to age rather than mileage or tire shine IMO.

Originally Posted by Strokenmerc
Get some 303 aerospace UV protectant. "It's like sunscreen for your stuff".
+4

thanks
11.gif

They dry rot because their tread life is generally longer than most.

Originally Posted by Lubener

thanks
11.gif

They dry rot because their tread life is generally longer than most.

I had a set do that after 3 years. And it was between the treads where the sun don't shine. Was not a happy camper, and that was after having two sets fail to go more than 40k--one did 30k, the other was deep into the wear bars at 40k. 3 sets, 3 failed to go to high miles--I spied a pattern.

Originally Posted by supton

I had a set do that after 3 years. And it was between the treads where the sun don't shine. Was not a happy camper, and that was after having two sets fail to go more than 40k--one did 30k, the other was deep into the wear bars at 40k. 3 sets, 3 failed to go to high miles--I spied a pattern.

were they the car model defenders back around 2013? those were definitely below average.

Back