Dry and wet compression number help

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is at 140K miles, and as I am considering selling it, when I heard what was I thought an exhaust leak, I brought it to the local shop for a compression test, with new plugs since they would be out anyway. I was told that cylinder 2 was 110 psi dry and 175 psi wet. Compression numbers were 200, 110, 225, 200.

My understanding is that this points to a ring problem, but there have been comments about it possibly being a valve, or piston problem. I don't understand how a wet compression test numbers going up would point to the piston or valve. Can someone help me understand this?
Also, I know that there is not alot of information above, but is this a park it and don't touch it or you are going to die problem, or a get it fixed soon?

The car is a 2005 Saturn Ion Redline. I haven't done a leak down test, but I know that any fix is going to cost more than the car would sell for with good compression.

Last edited:
Did it have an exhaust leak? Does this engine have mechanical lash adjusters and did they check the clearance? A leak down test is 100% in order.
A slightly tight valve that just moves the valve very slightly off the seat by less than a hair may raise the numbers with oil also. A burned valve will pass oil and not raise the numbers by any significant amount.

This is not likely to happen if it has hydraulics lash adjusters but a leak down test will tell you if its the rings or in the top end. If its the rings on that one cylinder I would inspect the bore with a boroscope and if not scored do a hail Mary piston soak if the off chance its a stuck ring.

Originally Posted by Trav
Did it have an exhaust leak? Does this engine have mechanical lash adjusters and did they check the clearance? A leak down test is 100% in order.
A slightly tight valve that just moves the valve very slightly off the seat by less than a hair may raise the numbers with oil also. A burned valve will pass oil and not raise the numbers by any significant amount.

This is not likely to happen if it has hydraulics lash adjusters but a leak down test will tell you if its the rings or in the top end. If its the rings on that one cylinder I would inspect the bore with a boroscope and if not scored do a hail Mary piston soak if the off chance its a stuck ring.

I think by 2005, all GM OHC engines had hydraulic lash adjusters.

After the 110, I didn't even think about the exhaust leak. But the tick, coming home tonight, seems to be gone, or the car wasn't up to temp enough.

I will see if the shop has a boroscope when I get the leakdown test done. I am running water methanol injection, so I am not sure that a stuck ring would be very likely.

These are the lash adjusters

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/p-lnf-lsj-lash-adjuster-12572638b

Yep hydraulic. With water/ methanol injection i suspect damage, seen it before. Trav could you please expand on water injection damage. I locked up my first 528e by sucking water into the intake. I was sweating bullets as I spun out the plugs. #6 had water and the engine fired up and ran another 75K. TIA
grin2.gif

i played with water injection a lot years ago and it works great but too much of a good thing can mechanically damage the pistons. I found the bubbler systems to be the safest but the least amount of power increase. If you are looking for a smoother idle, no carbon deposits and a slight increase in mpg, its just the ticket.

A friend of mine was running water/methanol injection it on a Kawasaki with a water supply in a tank bag, It made lots more power so he kept bumping it up till it cracked a piston near the ring lands.

i played with water injection a lot years ago and it works great but too much of a good thing can mechanically damage the pistons. I found the bubbler systems to be the safest but the least amount of power increase. If you are looking for a smoother idle, no carbon deposits and a slight increase in mpg, its just the ticket.

A friend of mine was running water/methanol injection it on a Kawasaki with a water supply in a tank bag, It made lots more power so he kept bumping it up till it cracked a piston near the ring lands.

Water methanol injection has been running for three years. 2 gph before the blower, and 5 gph before the intercooler on a progressive kit. A few weeks before installation of water-meth, pulley drop, ported blower, and E85 switch, compression was 195 185 195 200.

I think at least from a secondary standpoint water meth in a cold engine might have caused some of it though.

Last edited:
Time to pull the engine and go through it. I would ditch the water meth

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Shaman
50% leakdown, and dipstick popping out during the test.

Don't be surprised if you find a piston broken or cracked in the upper ring land area and cyl wall damage. With pressure water/meth systems it should only kick in at WOT and all systems inc the bubbler should use a low engine temp cutout switch. On some of the older that used vacuum temp switches for emission controls it was easy without one electric is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back