Drum Brakes Only Lasted 30K Miles??

Do some vehicles have rear brake bias?

My Jeep Patriot rear drum shoes wear out before the front disc pads, about 25K miles difference. Is it due to rear bias? Or, the rear Akebono shoes are only EE friction rating, so maybe they are "soft" and wear faster? There seems to be almost no rear drum wear.

Soft shoe material or rear bias are my reasons and/or question.
Our outback runs the rear pads out first too. I think maybe its TC or stability control just being a bit over active?

Our outback runs the rear pads out first too. I think maybe its TC or stability control just being a bit over active?
Maybe? Good question. My vehicle also has somewhat aggressive/noticeable engine braking.

Not much help for our friend Gebo. Who buys vehicles with drum brakes anyway, LOL?

Maybe? Good question. My vehicle also has somewhat aggressive/noticeable engine braking.

Not much help for our friend Gebo. Who buys vehicles with drum brakes anyway, LOL?
Ha! For a DD in the flatlands here, makes no difference to me, just cuts rear brake replacements in half, well supposed to anyways! The focus's rear drums went to about 140kmiles...

Town/City miles, Tailing the car in front of you, slamming on the brakes at the stop light rather than a slow progression. This is in no way stating truth to your situation just that it's something to think about when it comes to wear on braking system along with great idea's from others.

Working on my Daughter in Laws 2010 Civic. Drum brakes on rear. New shoes were installed 30K ago. From my recollection,
rear brake shoes normally last 75-100K (based on my 4Runner experience).

What are the main reasons for premature wear on rear drum brakes? Front pads installed at the same time and they look practicallys
new.
Frozen E-brake cable not fully releasing , weak return springs, wheel cylinders not releasing, a defective hydraulic hose, human error getting the primary and secondary shoes mixed up. E-brake that is partially applied would likely have a warning indication on the dash.

I hear y’all but 30k on drum brakes. That’s beyond my ability to rationalize as normal wear.

Was just getting ready to jack it back up and take the drums off but I got a phone call and have to make a trip to the ER to see one of my church members. Blood sugar over 700 and kidney failure.
I know it’s selfish of me, but I sure hope he stays around for a long time.

Well, my friend is much better. The Drs say they believe his issues are a reaction to his immuno-therapy. His Blood Sugar is down to 300.
He's smiling and happy. I hope I can say that tomorrow after working on the drum brakes for an hour.....

I plan on getting Honda OEM shoes on it today. I’d rather get a root canal than do drum brakes. However, I do actually enjoy the brake cleaner part.

The local Honda parts manager told me to go to oreillys and get their in-house shoes. Interesting. Said I would save $25. I’m smiling. I’d save the price of meal at 5 Guys. Grinning still. Heck, I might just stop at 5 Guys for lunch as I go to pick up my shoes. I’ll wave as I drive by the Honda dealership to get to the Acura dealership who got my shoes for me.

Do some vehicles have rear brake bias?

My Jeep Patriot rear drum shoes wear out before the front disc pads, about 25K miles difference. Is it due to rear bias? Or, the rear Akebono shoes are only EE friction rating, so maybe they are "soft" and wear faster? There seems to be almost no rear drum wear.

Soft shoe material or rear bias are my reasons and/or question.
Yikes! I hope not! If so I want a list of all vehicles with rear brake bias so I can never own them in snow country.

I service a '12 Ram 1500 that eats rear pads about 2:1 vs the front -- and has since purchased new in 2012 -- but I don't think that's bias. Likely just smaller pads combined with other factors....maybe calipers/sliders that don't fully retract or something. Plus the primary drivers are terrible drivers. Every pedal is a binary switch: either ON or OFF

I plan on getting Honda OEM shoes on it today. I’d rather get a root canal than do drum brakes. However, I do actually enjoy the brake cleaner part.

The local Honda parts manager told me to go to oreillys and get their in-house shoes. Interesting. Said I would save $25. I’m smiling. I’d save the price of meal at 5 Guys. Grinning still. Heck, I might just stop at 5 Guys for lunch as I go to pick up my shoes. I’ll wave as I drive by the Honda dealership to get to the Acura dealership who got my shoes for me.
I have always used aftermarket shoes and never had a problem. I doubt just switching to OEM shoes will solve anything. I hope you replace all the hardware, lubricate the backing plate, verify the emergency brake is not dragging and the wheel cylinders are good or you could be doing it again in 30k miles..

Reactions: D60
I have always used aftermarket shoes and never had a problem. I doubt just switching to OEM shoes will solve anything. I hope you replace all the hardware, lubricate the backing plate, verify the emergency brake is not dragging and the wheel cylinders are good or you could be doing it again in 30k miles..
Yeah actually given the symptoms (brakes worn in 30k) and the fact you're already there once the shoes are removed, I'd replace the wheel cylinders just because -- if quality pieces are available.

I don't see this as firing the parts cannon when wheel cylinders are typically very inexpensive (I've never shopped for Honda) and the additional labor is typically 2 bolts, one hydraulic fitting and a quick bleed per side.

Of course the fly in the ointment is if you're in the rust belt, maybe it is better to not touch those hydraulic fittings....

I had a Ford 8.8 (so, very different application) lock up a wheel cylinder and try to lock that brake. No leaking, it just wasn't moving.

The truck has a rear locker so it forced that wheel to turn. It actually started to twist/spin the backing plate and I had to go to a JY to source a new backing plate. I'd never seen that before, it was trying to tear/slot the backing plate holes.

That said, it would seem unlikely for BOTH wheel cylinders to fail at the same time in the same manner. But if I were OP and already had the shoes off I'd still replace them -- that's just me.

Replaced brakes. I was really starting to think cuss words. It was bad. Cut my fingers up. Ripped a nail. Spring tension gave me tension.

Replaced brake fluid as it was very dirty at rear. Using that brake fluid device that takes your tire air pressure and forces new fluid through the system.

I put 4 cans of fluid it it and got new fluid all the way around.

Adjusted parking brake as well.

Daughter-in-law was pleased.

Oh, and I cleaned her headlights as well. They are clear now.

Back