drum brake hardware kit springs

Issue: Replacing rear drum brakes on an 85 toyota 4x4 pickup, 10in x 2.25 shoe. National part vendors/suppliers have either house brand or multiple manufacturer brands each with a HARDWARE kit (or kits)that they (the vendor or manufacturer) specifies as applicable/a fit to the 85, model, VIN, etc. But none the springs in these kits mirror the originals. The kit springs have less robust coils (coil wire thickness), fewer coils and/or 1/3 shorter length of coils yet the spring(s) appear to be the right lengths compared to originals. In context of the issue...is this now normal for replacement hardware kit springs? New and improved tech? I prefer to replace 39 year old springs with new spring hardware but and not getting directions or firm answers from vendors. I think they dont know. Note: the other kit hardware components are generic are will work as rep[lacements. The issue is the springs. Please advise. Thank you.

Use the springs from the parts supplier you like the most. Those probably aren't the originals in any case.

I'd be way more concerned about the condition of the wheel cylinders than whether the springs were 100% correct.

Last edited:
Issue: Replacing rear drum brakes on an 85 toyota 4x4 pickup, 10in x 2.25 shoe. National part vendors/suppliers have either house brand or multiple manufacturer brands each with a HARDWARE kit (or kits)that they (the vendor or manufacturer) specifies as applicable/a fit to the 85, model, VIN, etc. But none the springs in these kits mirror the originals. The kit springs have less robust coils (coil wire thickness), fewer coils and/or 1/3 shorter length of coils yet the spring(s) appear to be the right lengths compared to originals. In context of the issue...is this now normal for replacement hardware kit springs? New and improved tech? I prefer to replace 39 year old springs with new spring hardware but and not getting directions or firm answers from vendors. I think they dont know. Note: the other kit hardware components are generic are will work as rep[lacements. The issue is the springs. Please advise. Thank you.
I never had a problem with aftermarket hardware kits. If something doesn't match yours, it's the wrong kit.

Maybe yours is an early or late build? I would look to see if a different kit is listed for an "84 and '86 and then see if those match yours.

Are you talking about the "main spring" that parallels the wheel cylinder or the other springs that just sort of hold the whole mess together, and are part of the "servo action" where the shoes cam themselves tighter when applied?

If the main spring looked about the same, I'd use everything.

Are there any leftover parts? Sometimes these kits fit a few applications-- it's cheaper to throw unneeded things away vice maintaining multiple stock numbers.

My 1990 Ford Ranger had a left rear brake that would always lock up first thing in the morning and when the road was wet. Just plain scary I ordered a new set of springs {Bendix} from Rock Auto and new shoes Ford had put the wrong spring on that side. Have not had one lockup since..

Thanks all. In reply. These may be the original 39 year springs. And the issue is in reference to the"main springs" and the other principals. Have checked both 84 and 86, etc. And if the kit in hand is the wrong (spring) kit the other national parts vendors/manufacturers offerings as being applicable/a fit are the wrong kit. Not a complaint but an example of a kit listed as applicable/a fit and the springs in this kit appear to be like those from other vendors/manufacturers, I have attached photos comparing a Raybestos H17133 kit springs to existing.

Local Toyota dealer parts department cross linked the VIN/production as applicable also to 4Runner. So we have done vendor parts search on 4runner years, too. The dealer has ID'ed part numbers and will sell each spring full retail, if available. Dealer may be last resort. (Candidly, we have had some dealer supplied parts that don't match either).

So has anyone in the forum just used the kit springs without pause? I am novice yet surprised this issue has not come up within the industry.
Before joining this forum I asked my regular 20230209_075744.jpg20230209_075752.jpgACE mechanic the same Q and he neither confirmed or denied yet basically opined that I could strap them on on and see if they worked. Per the springs if someone in the forum can refer me to, provide contact info for, a parts suppliers that may be able to supply, or help, please advise. Thanks

Maybe yours is an early or late build? I would look to see if a different kit is listed for an "84 and '86 and then see if those match yours.
I've seen this. I helped a friend of mine years ago with his 2000 Honda civic. The brake pads in the kit didn't fit. On a hunch i asked the parts guy for a set of 2001 and sure enough those fit.

Looking at your pics, the new springs look like they'd probably be pretty close to your originals once installed. I think I'd give them a try.

I’m using a Chinese-made Carlson drum hardware kit on a newer Toyota. No issues so far, the hold-down springs do seem thinner but the main springs between the shoes for the parking brake and self adjuster are close to OE.

How to test old springs: 1) Hold them about 10 inches above a concrete floor and drop them. If they make a thud they haven't been overheated and are good. If they make a ping sound they have been overheated and are not good. 2) look at the spring ends. If they are coiled tight and not pulled out they are good. 3) After brake reassembly pinch the shoe in the middle. Pull out on it and let go. If it snaps back against the backing plate the hold down springs are good.

I never replace springs that pass the test's regardless of age. The hold back springs spend most of their life in the resting position. An overheated spring removes it's tension making them bad.

Back