Drove a 6spd manual yesterday...don't miss it

Status
Not open for further replies.
No slushies for me plz only manuals
cool.gif

Last edited:
I used to all manual, but after a whole the fleet being 2/3 manual was getting old after a while (or so I thought). That's why when I was looking for a 4wd truck it had to be automatic to balance it out. In hindsight I wish I would have found a manual Tacoma as the 5 speed auto in this thing is ridiculous. While it may be a very reliable unit, the programming is horrid. I usually have to keep it locked in D4 unless I'm doing 55 as it's lugging the heck outta the engine. But there are some days I'm in traffic and it's nice to not have to shift, but my typical commute is in the boonies 85%. If I get the itch to drive stick I'll take the GTI out, and I couldn't imagine the SLK in a auto. Having an auto daily driver has made driving a 6 speed manual more fun, especially zipping up and down the mountain.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Nick1994
A manual is fun occasionally. But for a daily driver? [censored] no.

I'd like a C6 Vette. Maybe one day I'll get one. It'll be an automatic.

You shift a manual automatically after you drive one for a while. It's like breathing.

Maybe so but after 50 miles or so of stop and go traffic it's not your breathing but your left knee that reminds you the next vehicle you buy should be a automatic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kurtatron
I used to be adamant about only owning manual transmission cars. For reasons of enjoyment, economics, and security, I never wanted to own an automatic. Motorcycles changed that. Now I don't really care for cars. I could care less if it is a manual or automatic car, cars are just my bad weather and hauling devices. Motorcycles are cheap and fun. I go to them when I have an automotive itch. Although I must say, I still think manual transmission is much better in snow then an automatic. The ability to modulate control as soon as the wheels start slipping is yet unmatched by automatics, at least in my experience.

I rode motorcycles for 47 years, then one day I just decided I'd had enough with the dangerous idiot drivers and their cell phones so I sold my bike. I am now getting a Corvette to fill the void left by no longer owning a motorcycle. I can have just as much fun in a Corvette as I could on a bike, it's much safer, it has heat and A/C, and I won't get wet if it rains...

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Ws6

You shift a manual automatically after you drive one for a while. It's like breathing.

Maybe so but after 50 miles or so of stop and go traffic it's not your breathing but your left knee that reminds you the next vehicle you buy should be a automatic.

Automatics are definitely nicer to have in stop and go traffic, so if you don't have the option to avoid the traffic, then I would definitely recommend an auto...I plan on avoiding traffic in my Vette and enjoying the backroads, so it'll be a stick...

My '18 Mustang is the first auto-trans-equipped car that drives well enough to keep me from trading it for something with a manual. 310 hp and 10 speeds performs well without me having to row my own. I miss the clutch at times, but have finally accepted that I can't live with it day in, and day out, with Dallas traffic being what it is.

I've gone through this cycle a hundred times, it seems. "Lord, I'm sick of shifting.....I could live with an automatic in THAT car". 3 months later, the new car is gone, and in its place sits something with a clutch. But I'm pretty sure the Mustang is here to stay.

Just remember that the driving world isn't what it once was, so don't find it odd that you no longer miss it. I used to actually be able to enjoy using a manual daily on my way to work, but those days are gone. I also remember with fondness the days that you could get on an interstate, set your cruise, and not have to kick it off for hours. Try that now.

I didn't drive a stick until I was about 24 years old ('79 Mustang II beater). All my cars from that point on were manual transmission up until the early 2000's and now both my vehicles are automatics. I'd love to have either (or both) of my cars with a stick instead, but as mentioned above, if you regularly get stuck in stop and go traffic they're a pain (literally, in the back).

I do have the (fake) option on the Subaru to "manually" change gears, but it's only useful if you want to stay in a particular gear and no fun to drive with.

I will say I don't like paddle shifters, maybe I just need to get used to them, but for now I preferred the "sidegate" manual stick function on my old FWD Dodge (mitsubishi) R/T V6. Now I cant recall if that was up-down or Left < >Right

I feel I'd prefer a manual over and auto, but I've never DD'd one before either.

If I had to drive in constant NYC traffic, I'd likely prefer and auto no doubt, but I'm never in stand still traffic either.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
I feel I'd prefer a manual over and auto, but I've never DD'd one before either.

If I had to drive in constant NYC traffic, I'd likely prefer and auto no doubt, but I'm never in stand still traffic either.

Most modern car clutch pressure plate are easy with the hydraulic slave cylinders - no leg cramps like holding a Big Block Chevelle HD clutch in with mechanical linkage with only moderate mechanical advantage. Now there is a killer.
I recall some Hondas and Mitsu being so light you barely knew you stepped down on a pedal.

My honda civic's clutch pedal is super light you barely notice it even in the traffic. Nothing wrong with the standard transmission, 43K on the clock since you ans still enjoying it

Originally Posted by Ws6

And you let an automatic with paddles shift automatically soon after playing with the paddles a few times...

For me an automatic needs to have 3 things:

i) downshift rev matching;
ii) a "sport" setting (or a tow/haul mode); and
iii) paddles... but NOT for manumatic operation (I'll explain)

The transmission should have "range select"... meaning an easy way that you can choose the highest gear that you intend to allow it to get to. The paddles, for me, are a convenient way to operate the range select. The downshift rev matching for me is solely for handling down-gradients...

For me, I would let the automatic do its own shifting... I would only overide where the automatic can't "see" the road conditiins or foresee what's ahead.

Also, Sport mode is necessary to quell the tendency to get to high gear so relentlessly and soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet

However, today's throttle by wire "lag monsters" can drive weirdly with a manual. As the desired response is often not there. Making it a less pleasant experience.

That's an EPA function; they really do not like the throttle snapshut that takes place during a shift. It drives NOX through the roof momentarily

I've owned two manual vehicles and three automatics. For day to day use, I've really come to prefer the autos. I will say though, both manuals I have owned have been M5ODs in Rangers, so not the most refined transmission. On all of the Ranger forums though everyone would say the M5OD is the best and autos are bad. In reality, it seems like M5ODs like to leak, make noise, grind going into 3rd, have clutch system problems, etc., whereas the autos can be pretty trouble free for a long time with basic maintenance.

I do enjoy driving my manual 94 Ranger on open roads without a lot of stop and go, but it gets far fewer miles than my auto Ranger and Explorer, and I have considered selling it. Every time I take it out for "exercise" though, I decide to keep it around.

Both of my cars are manuals. I prefer them for reasons #2 (price) and #3 (reliability) listed in the initial post. #2 is especially the case, since cars with MT often linger on the lot for months and the sales staff is more likely to deeply discount them. My 2016 Mazda 6 had been on the lot for seven months at the largest Mazda dealer in the state. I bought it at a very attractive price.

My other car is the $9995 2019 Ford Fiesta I discussed in another thread. See #2 above in spades.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
Both of my cars are manuals. I prefer them for reasons #2 (price) and #3 (reliability) listed in the initial post. #2 is especially the case, since cars with MT often linger on the lot for months and the sales staff is more likely to deeply discount them. My 2016 Mazda 6 had been on the lot for seven months at the largest Mazda dealer in the state. I bought it at a very attractive price.

My other car is the $9995 2019 Ford Fiesta I discussed in another thread. See #2 above in spades.

Exact-same with my '17 Mazda6 Sport 6mt...

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Originally Posted by Elkins45

Exact-same with my '17 Mazda6 Sport 6mt...

I am extremely sad they aren't making them anymore.

'Kinda a totally different car in 6mt versus the 6at. You need to wring a few more revs out of it with the 6mt, at least when starting out in 1st gear. I really like its 3rd gear performance and flexibility.

Driving my Mazda6 that way is not really what Mazda envisions for the car now, i.e. the direction they want to take it in...

Glad I got mine when I did. For model year '18, in Canada... no more 6mt's. In USA, that happened for '19.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
I haven't owned a manual transmission equipped vehicle for some years. Yesterday I drove one for the day, my brother's 370z. It was fun for...ohhh...10 minutes. Before this drive I had nostalgic feelings but no more. Can you still be a car enthusiast and not want a manual transmission?

Absolutely. To me a car enthusiast is one that enjoys driving no matter what it is. Driving a manual can add to the pleasure but not always. I learned on a manual because that's what my father drove at the time. If he had an auto I might not have had the desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back