Driving Procedure to Break In Overhauled Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone comment on the procedure I do (I already know the oil change procedure) once I'm ready to drive the car. Someone told me I should go into D2 (Automatic Trans), not D1 or and D (Drive), and drive up to X amount then let foot off gas or something to seat the rings. Basically floor it then release like 10 times in a row.

What is he talking about, and what's the speed I should reach?

Also, once I'm done that procedure, can I drive on the highway or do I need to wait X amount of miles under certain speed before I go higher.

Last edited:
Drive it hard the first 20-30 miles. Make about 12-13 1/4 mile WOT runs and use engine breaking to slow down and di it again. You do not need to take it easy on an engine the sooner you drive it like you just stole it and are running from the cops the better. If youhave more then 100 miles on the engine then do not even worry about break in procedure just drive it normal.

I would change the oil out at 500 miles and again at 1500. You donot need to change the filter. Then I would go to a normal oil change interval.

I always run them at 2k for a few minutes ( 20 minutes in a diesel )( 10 in a gasser ) to break in cams and build some heat in them before putting a load on the engine. Then drive it fairly easy to monitor viatsa for about 10 miles. After that and all checks out Drive hard for another 100 miles.

Many people use many different procedures. Alot of it depends on the engine and how tight it's built. Most hand built engines are much tighter tolerneces then robot built

Last edited:
Warm it up by easy driving for 20 minutes or so and then use a heavy throttle for 5-10 seconds but, not to a real high rpm. Repeat this 4-6 times letting the parts cool with normal driving for a few minutes between each run. WOT is ok but, not high RPMs. When that is completed just drive normally but, no cruse controll (long periods of one speed) and no trailer pulling for ~ 1,000 miles. The vehicles I've broke-in suggest that a full break-in occures by ~ 8,000+ miles but, 90% is done in the first 2,500 or so based on UOAs. Beating the heck out of it early will speed the breakin at a heavy cost to end-of-life. Just my experience. Ed

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Drive it hard the first 20-30 miles. Make about 12-13 1/4 mile WOT runs and use engine breaking to slow down and di it again. You do not need to take it easy on an engine the sooner you drive it like you just stole it and are running from the cops the better. If youhave more then 100 miles on the engine then do not even worry about break in procedure just drive it normal.

I would change the oil out at 500 miles and again at 1500. You donot need to change the filter. Then I would go to a normal oil change interval.

X2.

Many disagree with running it hard from the beginning but I've had much better luck and less oil consumption over the life of the engine from this procedure.

Just drive it.

Most people here would cringe over how new, mass produced engines are slapped together at the factory and treated during the first 0-20 miles of their lives before they take delivery of their "new" vehicle anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back