Driving in Heat

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I have at least two multi-hundred-mile trips planned this summer and expect to be driving through temps above 100-degrees. What components of a vehicle are most susceptible to stress or damage from long drives through hot weather, many miles of which may be through mountains and high elevations?

In the past, I've driven a couple of hundred miles in 110-degree plus temps and noticed no problems. Should I even be concerned about heat stress on these long trips this summer?

Two things: The cooling system and the transmission.
In your Camry, simply drain and fill the rad with Zerex pink, burp properly.
I'd also do a drain and fill with either Aisin/Idemitsu/Toyota WS on the trans also.
You'll be just fine.
Trans fluid exchange was done in Feb-Mar of last year, the cooling system was done a few months later. All with Toyota fluids. Thanks.

If you see your temps rising and worried about trans / engine temps, you can turn on the heater (AC compressor off) to use the heater core as another radiator to cool off the system. Maybe this is an old mechanics tale and won't make a dent in temps but worth trying if you are in a bind. Of course, your personal temps will rise!

If you see your temps rising and worried about trans / engine temps, you can turn on the heater (AC compressor off) to use the heater core as another radiator to cool off the system. Maybe this is an old mechanics tale and won't make a dent in temps but worth trying if you are in a bind. Of course, your personal temps will rise!
I've done that a couple of times with older, beater-type cars. Sometimes old mechanics have good ideas.

Watch your temp gauge. Decades ago while driving semi trucks from San Leandro to Los Angeles to San Deigo the truck would make it up the grape vine hill with out the coolant temp moving much but when it was over 100*f the temp gauge would rise to almost overheating . So I would have to back off them power a bit. The tractors were well maintained.

This works. I was climbing a long mountain grade in a winding two lane road behind a less than spirited driver in an old (1990's) Pontiac Grand Prix. I believe it had the 3.1 if I remember right. Anyways, I maintained it well, it always ran well, and ran well after this incident, but on this particular hot day climbing a very long grade behind a slow person, the cooling system could not keep up. I ended up switching off the AC, opening the windows, and kicking on the heater. It kept the needle from rising into the red, and kept us moving.

Have a canteen full of water and wear an outfit like Peter O'Toole did in Lawrence Of Arabia.

B_F_Lawrence-of-Arabia.jpg

I'd have someone give the AC system a once over on an 11 year old car or you might get heat stressed.
I'd check vent output temps but not fiddle with the freon level needlessly. Every time you connect a hose you fart a little air and water vapor into the system.

It would be a good idea to verify cleanliness of the condensor/ radiator, maybe gently backflow water through them, and get those fin straightener things if you have many smashed fins.

May be worth getting an OBD gauge dongle (like torque pro) to see your day-to-day cruising temperature, to have a baseline to compare to your hot temp. Factory dash gauges are hopelessly deadened.

Make sure your spare tire is in good shape and inflated properly. I also wouldn't dream of going without towing insurance on a long trip.
Hopefully you have a full-size spare tire / not an 'inflator'.

Most likely you won't have any problems, but,
what would make a short distance walk easier on you?

Back