Driving At Night

Sometimes I have to drive home in the dark - two lanes …
The yellow tint clip on’s help me sharpen things up …

76 years old and have have had cataracts removed and implants in each eye. My vision at my eye doctor visits is excellent. I live in a rural area and do not like to drive at night. Roads do not have decent striping and I do not like to hit deer. Most of all I hate driving in the dark with rain.

76 years old and have have had cataracts removed and implants in each eye. My vision at my eye doctor visits is excellent. I live in a rural area and do not like to drive at night. Roads do not have decent striping and I do not like to hit deer. Most of all I hate driving in the dark with rain.
Same age and had mine done a couple of years ago. Even though my vision is great now, I also don't care to drive at night.

My mom won’t drive at night claims she can’t see but she doesn’t like driving period just like me lol. I prefer night driving if I have to drive. My drive to work is still dark soon it will be opposite and the drive home will be dark. My only problem is people with bright lights I’ve almost ran off the road or into someone else because of bright headlights.

I don’t drive much at night anymore. Only if we’re coming from a friend or family’s house and it’s gotten dark out. I certainly don’t want to start my evening driving. By the time the youngsters are going out I’m going to bed.

Modern LED headlights have made driving at night much safer. It is amazing how well they light up the road... it's almost like driving in daylight.

76 years old and have have had cataracts removed and implants in each eye. I live in a rural area and do not like to drive at night.

I don't know what IOL's you got, but multifocal lenses contain a pattern of different lens focal lengths. During the daytime, the brain can work through this, and one seemingly has distance and near vision. But this type of lens is well known to create issues at night. As the pupil is wide open and the pattern creates something other than perfect focus.

I have the start of cataracts at the edges beyond my fully dilated pupil. So I can't see the issue yet. It's coming. I will get lenses that are focused perfectly for distance. And use glasses for anything closer.

Multifocal lens typically used for cataracts.
image.axd

Last edited:
Night driving itself doesn’t bother me, but driving in the rain at night is not very pleasant. I wear glasses or contacts but Astigmatism+near sighted+blue looking headlights are my enemy.

I love driving at night, exept for when the oncoming traffic has their brights on. Freeways at night are amazing, no traffic, 3 empty lanes, streetlights that shine beyond your headlights, and you can cruise at 100. Everything else at night is annoying because no peripheral vision at stoplights and other places.

I love driving at night, exept for when the oncoming traffic has their brights on. Freeways at night are amazing, no traffic, 3 empty lanes, streetlights that shine beyond your headlights, and you can cruise at 100. Everything else at night is annoying because no peripheral vision at stoplights and other places.
Oblivious high beam users get a very noticeable courtesy flash of my normal high beams. Usually that works… sometimes they decide to act up and either turn them off only to turn them back on again or leave them on in which case they get low beam+high beam+18” light bar assuming nobody is behind them and in front of me.

Oblivious high beam users get a very noticeable courtesy flash of my normal high beams. Usually that works… sometimes they decide to act up and either turn them off only to turn them back on again or leave them on in which case they get low beam+high beam+18” light bar assuming nobody is behind them and in front of me.

I can usually see fine at night as long as my headlights' covers haven't gotten blurry/foggy but as far as what you two are talking about... I have this weird problem, even if they are not using high beams just regulars, I am inherently attracted to looking at the lights of oncoming traffic mainly because I worry about them crossing into my lane (I obviously do the same thing in the daytime, but it's not an issue then). The problem is once they pass by me after I stupidly look into their lights, I have that momentary "oh no I can't see" for like 3 to 5 seconds til my eyes readjust to the dark.
Also, I get super sketched out when people coming towards me are passing someone and it seems way too close to me for comfort. I always always always floor it to pass because it is safer that way. I get ticked when riding with my mom and she decides that it is okay to pass going like only 2 more mph than who we are passing. Slow passers scare me.

Many of the roads North of me are empty and dark. I find that modern vehicles have way too many screens and lights. This distracts horribly from acute night vision. I can't stand internal lights at night.
This^

I drive a lot at night in sometimes very poor weather through the winter. Visibility is always the struggle. On my trucks of the 90s you could completely turn off all the interior backlights for the dash, controls, etc. then into the 2000s they starting making this not possible but you could still at least turn them down quite low.

Then the big screens started coming but I remember most having a button you could easily and quickly access to turn off the screen.

Now on my latest truck, 2020 F350 even the dimmest setting for the dash, control backlights is still very bright. The button to turn off the screen is deeply hidden in menus.

For those that haven’t experienced what it’s like driving at night with zero interior lights on, it makes a DRASTIC difference how well your “night vision” works.

Back