Driving 55mph instread of 65mph -Just hit 32.5 MPG (honda accord)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
When I make my run to Florida 1177 miles I make it in 18.5 to 19 hours running straight through.
Usually with stops I average 63 mph running the speed limit all the way down. The difference between running 55 to 60 mph and running the speed limits would mean another 2.5 to 3 hours in time with a savings of maybe $6.00 in gas each way. That $2.00 per extra hour on the road is not worth the extra time driving. There is no way I would want to make the drive between Ocala and Naples on I-75 at 55 mph. Its over 3.5 hours now at 70 mph. At 55 mph I'd have to add another hour
to my trip just on that 250 mile stretch. And after 15 to 16 hours on the road coming from Pittsburgh another hour is a killer on the mind.
Now I do advocate driving slower on shorter trips of an hour or less to save gas. I would never expect someone to drive 55 mph on a 200 mile or longer trip. Heck our time is worth more that the amount of gasoline saved by driving slower on those longer trips.

Just to resurect a thread from the dead.
Most of the time I get in the region of 21-24 mpg in my 94 965. This is with the old style front end, and 3.31 live axle. I live in an area where it doesn't rain for months at a time in the summer. I found that removing the wipers is worth about 1 mpg at 70-80mph on the highway. I have verified this with multiple trips from LA to SF and back. Just something to ponder I guess. I keep the wipers and apropriate tools in the trunk at all times.

I do not want to sound like I am bragging.

I have never seen lower then 39 MPG in my Golf TDI (Turbo diesel for the unfamiliar).

With the cruise set between 90-95MPH through Texas was my lowest tank ever at 39.4 MPG, there were a number of time my car was floored uphills just to maintain 95 MPH. During that same tank I did my first top speed run (out in BFE Texas with no one within miles) where I hit 120 MPH in my 90 HP TDI.

Anyways if I pussyfoot around I can get 45-49 MPG, but with the way I drive I get around 40-43 MPG. I shift around 3200-3600 RPM (redline is 4500 RPM) and cruise at 85-95 MPH. Bascially I drive like I do not care about mileage and still get 40+ MPG. On some recent roadtrips, 85-90MPH cruising netted 41-43MPG on the freeway.

With my TDI.

65-70 = 49+ MPG
70-75 = 47-49 MPG
75-85 = 43-47 MPG
85-95 =40-43 MPG (where I usually am cruising).

quote:

Originally posted by pezzy669:
I do not want to sound like I am bragging.

I have never seen lower then 39 MPG in my Golf TDI (Turbo diesel for the unfamiliar).

With the cruise set between 90-95MPH through Texas was my lowest tank ever at 39.4 MPG, there were a number of time my car was floored uphills just to maintain 95 MPH. During that same tank I did my first top speed run (out in BFE Texas with no one within miles) where I hit 120 MPH in my 90 HP TDI.

Anyways if I pussyfoot around I can get 45-49 MPG, but with the way I drive I get around 40-43 MPG. I shift around 3200-3600 RPM (redline is 4500 RPM) and cruise at 85-95 MPH. Bascially I drive like I do not care about mileage and still get 40+ MPG. On some recent roadtrips, 85-90MPH cruising netted 41-43MPG on the freeway.

With my TDI.

65-70 = 49+ MPG
70-75 = 47-49 MPG
75-85 = 43-47 MPG
85-95 =40-43 MPG (where I usually am cruising).

All I have to say is "**** German cars designed for autobahn". I got my first ticket with my Golf doing 96 in a 70. At 95 MPH this car feels like its doing 70, when I do not set the cruise I begin to wonder why I am passing everyone like they are standing still, I look down and realize I am doing 95-100 MPH when I only want to do 85 or so, it is hard to tell the difference between 80 and 100 MPH in this car.

Orginal poster here,
I did an interstate trip of 450 miles last week. I got about 30mpg going 75-80 mph. So i think im losing alot of my gas mileage becuase acelerating to fast from stops, on ramps etc..

I get 34-35 MPG routinely on my 1988 Honda Accord LX with 233,000 miles travelling at 77-80 MPH in TN. Imagine what I could get travelling 55!
cool.gif

-brian

I routinely drive my 1992 3.1L V6 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme on the highways for extended distances at 47mph, which is 1530rpm.

Gets me 40 USMPG on average, with or without air conditioning, give or take a couple MPG for head/tailwinds. I monitor using a real-time MPG meter and the fuel loaded always corresponds, at the end of a 12 hour run, with the fuel burned.

Only problem is that it tends to consume slightly more oil when operated this way. I worked out the savings once and on an after-tax basis, it amounted to approximately $15/hour, so I think it is worthwhile.

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
I routinely drive my 1992 3.1L V6 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme on the highways for extended distances at 47mph, which is 1530rpm.

offtopic.gif

I had a similar set up in a 92 Sunbird SE. That was a nice country road cruiser. In the 3 years that we owned it we put90k on it
shocked.gif
Must have been fun and cheap to drive. It had a diet of Quaker State and a Fram filter whenever I got around to it..(I was Off in training or deployed much of the time).. Other than a blown radiator hose(no PM) it never gave us any trouble.

On back state highways 50-60 is great. On interstates it's too dangerous.

If I keep it on the speed limit, the Festiva get 39-41 MPG. I typically keep it up around 80-85 though, and at those speeds, it's more like 34-36. That's with the air running. It gets 33-36 MPG in Houston city traffic. Best $650 I ever spent.

I've rented a few 3.1 vehicles. Super mileage. Gutless engine though. The 3.3 Buick 6 is not as fuel effcient, but has much more grunt. Really shows how HP/TQ can be the same peak, but moving the Tq peak down really livens things up.

[ May 06, 2005, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

recently did a 250 mile trip, at 55 mph:

36 miles per gallon, using GPS measurements to correct speed and odomter error. This is without the plastic sheets attached to the car. I think I'm now on the trucker's most-wanted list.

This is in a Subaru Legacy AWD station wagon.

There seems to something wrong with my Cavalier Z24 ,2.4L DOHC 4 cylinder, 4 spd auto. Last tank I got only 19-20mpg mix of city/highway, well actually i was going faster 50mph-60mph on the 4 lane roads.

If I did this in the US, with us gas prices, and US dollars, I'd be saving a whopping $2.50 an hour by driving 55.

The reason I did my 55 test was because my trip schedule had a lot of extra time that day, and I decided to stretch it out by driving slow.

As you go faster, the risk and fuel costs increase faster than the speed, so there must be a speed which gives the lowest total cost, at a given value for your time.

Let's make the speed limit 55 m/s.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back