Driveworks Oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
A tech/rep for another company posted they had tested the Driveworks filters and efficiency was only 80%. He also thought the media was low quality and susceptible to failure.

Anyway it made me remember this thread since there was some discussion regarding efficiency. For what it's worth.

FYI, Wix does list the beta ratios for many filters. BUT, if "21 micron" (that's usually the nominal rating) is all the info we have on a Wix, that's still more than we know about Driveworks.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
FYI, Wix does list the beta ratios for many filters. BUT, if "21 micron" (that's usually the nominal rating) is all the info we have on a Wix, that's still more than we know about Driveworks.

Do we even know what company makes Driveworks filters?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: johnachak
For one of my applications the Wix is made in Korea. That shocked me. No more Wix for me.

I sure hope you are boycotting just an individual Wix number that is made in Korea and not the whole company. Wix employs a lot of Americans and it just doesn't always pay to expand a whole new assembly line for a slow-moving number.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
[

Purolator Classics and PureOnes are made in North Carolina (in the good old USA)....and with the current rebates....can be had for just about as cheap as the foreign (China) made filters. They are a proven entity....and by buying them...we keep American workers in paychecks.

NEXT FILL: Mobi1 1 0w20

I don't need a rebate for a filter. Takes only 1 per o/c.

I was appalled when I opened up a Driveworks filter yesterday.. I expected to find something Purolator or E-core, but instead it was this cheap looking Chinese knockoff.

The machining was done poorly, there were rough/sharp edges all over and some thread shavings were still visible on the end of the filter.

I have nothing against foreign competition and have no problem saving $5 and tossing something Chinese made on my car. But this filter was clearly an exercise in one thing-- Cutting cost and profit over quality.
33.gif

I'll take my $3.99 and buy a Motorcraft FL-820S for the same price at Walmart every time. Or if I'm feeling *real* cheap, there's always E-cores to be had for $1-2 on clearance at the local farm stores.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I was appalled when I opened up a Driveworks filter yesterday.. I expected to find something Purolator or E-core, but instead it was this cheap looking Chinese knockoff.

The machining was done poorly, there were rough/sharp edges all over and some thread shavings were still visible on the end of the filter.

I cut open a Driveworks DW1A (same size as Motorcraft FL1A or Purolator 30001) just to see what it was like and the construction was rock solid and finely detailed. I wouldn't have hesitated to run it.

It may be that different batches come from different suppliers. In that case, whether you get a good or bad one would be a [censored] shoot.

Guess I'll keep sticking with Puro Classics for my "cheap" filters.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Driveworks also makes more than oil filters.

"Driveworks" does not make anything. They are just a AAP house branding with suppliers only known to them making the stuff.

I found this Poster at Advanced Auto.
It does not indicate who the information is accredited too but it does seem to match the experience posted by others.

The image is necessarily linked so it may disappear in the future.
It is chopped up so to fit upload limits and get high enough resolution for it to be read.

OilFilterPosterTop.jpg

OilFilterPosterMiddle.jpg

OilFilterPosterBottom.jpg

I see they also marked the Driveworks "Low Efficiency". Some useful information for the uninformed but also looks like marketing at work as well, "Good" appears to be driven more by price point than actual performance. Thanks for posting.

is this better than a fram orange can or the fram orange can of death, which i heard causes dry starts every time?

how does this compare to a champion labs filter they use at quick lube places, and how does this compare to oreilly's microgard filter or the STP filter?

i heard fram was the worst, surely this one isn't as bad as the fram, right?

Originally Posted By: 240DL
I found this Poster at Advanced Auto.
It does not indicate who the information is accredited too but it does seem to match the experience posted by others.

The image is necessarily linked so it may disappear in the future.
It is chopped up so to fit upload limits and get high enough resolution for it to be read.

OilFilterPosterTop.jpg

OilFilterPosterMiddle.jpg

OilFilterPosterBottom.jpg

The Bosch Distance Plus isn't any more efficient than the Purolator PureOne - yes they show the PureOne to be less efficient. Guess they are referencing the PureOnes with the 99.9% @ 40 microns instead of 20 microns? Or they are taking into account torn media on the PureOne.
eek.gif
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: engineer20
tell me more about the medial tears on the pureone
and if you have any pics, can i seee?
has it also been affecting the motorcrafts?

Really? Just do a search and you will find a ton of threads and pics.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Originally Posted By: engineer20
tell me more about the medial tears on the pureone
and if you have any pics, can i seee?
has it also been affecting the motorcrafts?

Really? Just do a search and you will find a ton of threads and pics.

Yes ... many threads on this very subject over the last 3~4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back