Driveworks DW-241 filter cut open - PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my stash I had a Driveworks oil filter that I bought back in mid-2011. I could never decipher the date code, so it's very likely that the filter is from early 2011 or even 2010. Based on the numbering scheme of this filter, I believe it is Purolator made (the Puro equivalent is a 10241; Fram equivalent is a 3614). Although it does have the louvered holes on the center tube, so who knows. While I had this filter in my stash, I started doing longer OCIs, hence requiring a longer-drain oil filter, so this never got used. ADBV was nitrile, but still flexible. Metal endcaps were difficult to remove also. The can was very thick, as was the baseplate. The only downside of this filter was that the pleats weren't very thick, so it probably would not be ideal for a long OCI. Pleat spacing and construction was top notch; I almost feel bad not using it! Anyway, enjoy the pics.

[img:left][/img]

DW filters posted here over time, both used and virgin have generally looked respectable. Biggest complaint I saw was the nitrile adbv not pliable after some point in use which isn't uncommon for nitrile. Maybe one anecdote with a deformed adbv too. Otherwise appearance good. Never really got an authoritative published efficiency either, but probably similar to other made in China filters. And it's a value tier filter.

As for manufacturer, not Purolator. Just a made for AAP filter made by an unknown China manufacturer. They just decided to use an abbreviated version of the Puro numbering system. The prior AAP Total Grip made by Puro used the Fram numbering system.

Thanks for the c&p. Does look as though is could have been used for a conventional oil oci.

Very nice pictures and write up. As he said not a Puro but construction wise a well made filter.

Since the media is all cellulose likely around 80% efficiency give or take, very normal for a "jobber" type entry level filter.

The only problem I've had with driveworks is that I've had a few that would rattle when you shake them after about 3K miles. Like the filter was loose inside. Not sure if springs break or what. Didn't cut them open.

Filter looks well-constructed ... Thanks for posting
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
I have cut open a couple of driveworks filters and they were all ok

Louvers and all.
grin.gif

Now if all louvers were formed as well as these, there wouldn't be any problem with louvers.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
The only problem I've had with driveworks is that I've had a few that would rattle when you shake them after about 3K miles. Like the filter was loose inside. Not sure if springs break or what. Didn't cut them open.

That was back in March/April. It is summer break for those kids in Panama City!

Looks very good.

I must confess, whenever I see the "DW" in the part number, my mind automatically goes to death wobble. Death wobble filters wouldnt be any good.
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back