Driver stranded on the beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm not the most gregarious sort I've had similar experiences in the rural areas of Oregon Washington and Nevada, and try to reciprocate. I was saved what I assume would have been a hellishly expensive tow on a natl forest road in the North Cascades two years ago by a kindly passerby in very old school Wrangler with manual locking hubs and and earlier this year I helped four "elevated" college kids in a Jeep Compass out of a snow drift during a blizzard in nowheresville eastern Oregon (with a G37 no less). Good thing too, as they had almost no gas or emergency supplies, I know this seems like common sense to most on this board but for the urbanites please t try to have 2-3 days of food and water, batteries, flashlight basic tools, and a sleeping bag when traveling in inclement weather or in very rural areas, they are literally a lifesaver.

Sand is an unpredictable thing to drive on. My family and several others, connected by travel softball team, went several years in a row to what they called 4 wheel drive island in North Carolina. Basically went past kitty hawk to Corolla NC, turned onto the beach and went about 14 miles on the beach to a group of houses in the wild horse reserve. During this time I had a GMC Denali XL and never had a bit of trouble in the sand with just all season tires, slightly deflated. On a couple occasions I had to help pull out two different Hummers who got stuck. Idk why they had trouble, probably pushing them to hard but I wasn't impressed with their off reading capabilities lol. Another family had a Chevy trailblazer and I had to end up helping them back to Corolla and talking the guys at the fire station into letting them leave the trailblazer on the parking lot as the thing just couldn't make it up the beach due to overheating. When it first happened we popped the hood and there was about an inch of sand covering most every thing under the hood and the radiator was covered too leading to the overheating. At first we assumed it was because they were last in line and was catching all the blown up sand but after cleaning things up the next day it did the same thing while leading. Idk but it must have been the way the trailblazer drew air into the engine compartment because it sucked up sand like no bodies business.
I really like the area and wild horses would walk right up as we laid on the beach. It was a little tricky at high tide as the drive on the beach would be blocked at some points so we had to use a tide chart to plan trips into town to shop and eat dinner.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
A farmer relative was driving his big John Deere home and spied a truck about 100 yards out in his bean field, It was not locked so he put the transfer in neutral and towed in back to their farm and locked it in his barn. Well, a little later the kid and his friend showed up and demanded the truck back. My relative demanded the crop damage.

They left to get the sheriff. When they came back with the sheriff it got fun.

The sheriff stated yes, they could charge him with grand theft auto, and my relative could charge them with criminal trespass and felony destruction of property. They would be tried in courts around here and everyone knows a farmer. So how do you think that will turn out? The arrived at a value for the crops, the kids VERY VERY [censored] off dad payed it and all was well.

And a major muddy 4X4 chevy was for sale.

about 1000 acres of prime hunting river bottom land became much harder to get permission to hunt and fish.

Rod
Interesting that an abandoned vehicle on one's property can't be removed, when it was left there without permission. Maybe the farmer needs to put one of those tow company "No Parking" signs by his field? Then he could have charged them for towing, storage, and crop damage!

I'm pretty sure in most jurisdictions a car abandoned on private property can be towed without warning to the owner. However, it's usually better to call up a towing company that will then store the vehicle and can legally hold onto it until the owner pays the towing and storage fees.

Not sure about that mess though. I doubt that demanding payment for crop damage in exchange for the vehicle probably isn't legal. But then creating the crop damage was pretty bad.

I'm not gonna lie I got myself stuck in my old '03 Golf TDI out on a Florida beach (they have a ton of beaches you can drive on) - there were plenty of areas where any passenger car would fare just fine. The problem I ran into was it was just fine then all of a sudden we ended up in some soft sand that was definitely a 4x4 only type area. We successfully dug ourselves ~10' at a time a few times but just kept getting stuck trying to get back to the car friendly area, thankfully some guys in a truck came and towed us back to the solid sand using the front tow hook - it was only ~50 feet they had to pull us but that would have taken us hours to dig our way out of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back