Driver stranded on the beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
The article says that he was trying to impress his girlfriend by driving on the beach in Carmel, California until it got stuck in the sand. Doesn't say what kind of car, but it looks like a (non-WRX) Subaru Impreza. They tried extracting it with different vehicles until a tractor got it out. I guess they needed to get it out before high tide damaged the car.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/car-stuck-monterey-carmel-beach-13677453.php

[Linked Image]

When I was 16 and got my first car (1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4), I'd take my "4x4" off-roading routinely, because well, that's what dumb young kids do, take station wagons 4-wheeling!

One of the first places I went to was Dumont Dunes in southeast California and learned EXTREMELY quickly that sand provides nearly zero traction with passenger car tires. Luckily I didn't get stuck, but I'm sure I looked like a fool out there in my station wagon amongst all the sand rails and other cool toys that can actually move in sand.

Have saved several like this …
Need thick strap, some stout chain, shovels, and 5 gallon bucket … (or two) …
I always ask the car owner to inspect the hook up and warn them they will be jarred on pretty hard …
Messy work … oh, some trash bags to cover your seats when done …

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
When I was 16 and got my first car (1986 Toyota Tercel Wagon 4x4), I'd take my "4x4" off-roading routinely, because well, that's what dumb young kids do, take station wagons 4-wheeling!

One of the first places I went to was Dumont Dunes in southeast California and learned EXTREMELY quickly that sand provides nearly zero traction with passenger car tires. Luckily I didn't get stuck, but I'm sure I looked like a fool out there in my station wagon amongst all the sand rails and other cool toys that can actually move in sand.

Street tires do well in sand if you deflate them down to about 10 psi.

My friend got stuck in a farmer's field in the middle of nowhere, my other friend got stuck trying to get him out. I think they were pretty far from the road. Both car-based SUVs, Jeep Patriot and Chevy Tracker.

$2000 CAD each.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

Street tires do well in sand if you deflate them down to about 10 psi.

Yep … radical mud grips are not paddle tires … many of them dig their own graves in sand … we use oversized AT's so they don't need to be bled down as much …

Originally Posted by madRiver
Nice police to not call a proper tow company ASAP and saddle the kid with off highway tow bill that can run pretty high.

I'm sure all the fines from the different laws he broke make the tow bill look like chicken feed.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
My friend got stuck in a farmer's field in the middle of nowhere, my other friend got stuck trying to get him out. I think they were pretty far from the road. Both car-based SUVs, Jeep Patriot and Chevy Tracker.

$2000 CAD each.

They didn't know anybody with something more capable that could pull them out?

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

$2000 CAD each.

City slickers wanted to larp as country boys. My dad has a pick up but I was on the other side of Lake Ontario attending school at the time.

It was late and night, pretty much worse case scenario. They didn't even have a winch or the aptitude to send the second man to Princess Auto to get one before he got stuck.

Probably he will not be that stupid again. There are many youtube videos of beach foolishness.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

$2000 CAD each.

City slickers wanted to larp as country boys. My dad has a pick up but I was on the other side of Lake Ontario attending school at the time.

It was late and night, pretty much worse case scenario. They didn't even have a winch or the aptitude to send the second man to Princess Auto to get one before he got stuck.

Wow.

I believe deflating the tires is key.

I did that in my mum's AMC Eagle wagon growing up and never got stuck on New England beaches. IMHO the AMC Eagle seemed far more capable then modern crossovers.

Last edited:
A farmer relative was driving his big John Deere home and spied a truck about 100 yards out in his bean field, It was not locked so he put the transfer in neutral and towed in back to their farm and locked it in his barn. Well, a little later the kid and his friend showed up and demanded the truck back. My relative demanded the crop damage.

They left to get the sheriff. When they came back with the sheriff it got fun.

The sheriff stated yes, they could charge him with grand theft auto, and my relative could charge them with criminal trespass and felony destruction of property. They would be tried in courts around here and everyone knows a farmer. So how do you think that will turn out? The arrived at a value for the crops, the kids VERY VERY [censored] off dad payed it and all was well.

And a major muddy 4X4 chevy was for sale.

about 1000 acres of prime hunting river bottom land became much harder to get permission to hunt and fish.

Rod

Last edited:
I cruise the upper TX Gulf Coast beach a lot. Here, the kid would probably be pulled out by a passerby, either for free of $50 max. He might have to wait a while but help would come.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
A farmer relative was driving his big John Deere home and spied a truck about 100 yards out in his bean field, It was not locked so he put the transfer in neutral and towed in back to their farm and locked it in his barn. Well, a little later the kid and his friend showed up and demanded the truck back. My relative demanded the crop damage.

They left to get the sheriff. When they came back with the sheriff it got fun.

The sheriff stated yes, they could charge him with grand theft auto, and my relative could charge them with criminal trespass and felony destruction of property. They would be tried in courts around here and everyone knows a farmer. So how do you think that will turn out? The arrived at a value for the crops, the kids VERY VERY [censored] off dad payed it and all was well.

And a major muddy 4X4 chevy was for sale.

about 1000 acres of prime hunting river bottom land became much harder to get permission to hunt and fish.

Rod
Interesting that an abandoned vehicle on one's property can't be removed, when it was left there without permission. Maybe the farmer needs to put one of those tow company "No Parking" signs by his field? Then he could have charged them for towing, storage, and crop damage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back