Driver crashes after passing out with n95 mask

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find this interesting...it's indicates a reduction in European deaths from the flu...obviously being replaced by COVID...

[Linked Image from drroyspencer.com]

Originally Posted by Shannow
I find this interesting...it's indicates a reduction in European deaths from the flu...obviously being replaced by COVID...

They should put another line on the graph showing the CV19 data summed with the flu data, and blow-up the last 24-36 weeks for detail.

In the US....

Codes are making things shall we say... Different...

And for a reason... Not helpful.

People don't want to hear this.... But almost everyone over the age of 60+ with serious conditions... Are far far, far, far closer to leaving this world than anyone of us would like to think. . . Both my parents fit that profile. .

And I have dealt with family members who just don't understand that their loved ones are truly in dire condition... And that difficult circumstance is becoming more and more prevalent.... People can't or don't want to deal with the reality that the people they love so dearly... Are going to pass away. . .

I took 25 minutes with a lady who's father was quite old and was in serious condition... And she still wanted to take him across the building for dinner... He was way,way, way too exhausted to do that.... Serious renal failure, heart failure, etc.... After my conversation with her that was very difficult she finally understood he was ready to go.... He passed away 30 hours later... 6 months went by and she happened to come in and see me... She was very grateful and thankful to me for taking that time with her. She was really a wonderful lady... Who greatly loved her father...

By the way guys....

This has been a very, very , very good discussion...

Great job by everyone
smile.gif

Zee0six, Shannow, Wolf, Ws6 plus everyone else....

Seriously... Great job/work by everyone...

Not necessarily...

COVID resulted in many social policies to prevent its spread. The mechanism is identical to flu, if somewhat different in specifics. The measures to fight covid would be identical to flu, regarding transmission. What you might be seeing is a side effect of this that does seem to validate somewhat these measures.

The alternative is that you are correct. I simply present the other side to the coin.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Ws6
I'm betting that many people working in hospitals with CV patients are getting routine tests to see if anyone is catching it, regardless if they have symptoms or not.

Another thing is most health care workers who have contracted CV were most likely not wearing N95 or other correct PPE in the early days when it hid hard. Many of them catching it at work could very well be in the beginning when this was all unfolding and proper precautions weren't being used or followed correctly. It would be hard to get collect accurate data from what was going on in the beginning, but would be easier to collect data right now knowing more about CV.

Why? That's expensive. It can only cost money.

Also, incubation period makes it impossible to know where one caught it, very nearly.

It's not that expensive. ... if it was, there wouldn't have been the millions of tests already done on people. New test methods are being developed quickly. If you were working in an environment where you were surrounded by infected people don't you think it would be wise to do some routine testing on health care workers?

Maybe everyone should just ignore CV and not take any precautions and let it "do it's thing".

No, and that is why we don't do that sort of thing with healthcare workers with the one exception being TB testing, which is done yearly. You're only looking at front of the house costs.

Why dont we swab for MRSA?
Why dont we do bloodwork all the time for various bloodborne pathogens?
Why dont we...

Because it would result in massive loss of viable workforce.

If your staff is not showing symptoms, then yearly TB testing is going to be the max, if even that.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6
I'm betting that many people working in hospitals with CV patients are getting routine tests to see if anyone is catching it, regardless if they have symptoms or not.

Another thing is most health care workers who have contracted CV were most likely not wearing N95 or other correct PPE in the early days when it hid hard. Many of them catching it at work could very well be in the beginning when this was all unfolding and proper precautions weren't being used or followed correctly. It would be hard to get collect accurate data from what was going on in the beginning, but would be easier to collect data right now knowing more about CV.

Also, incubation period makes it impossible to know where one caught it, very nearly.

It's not that expensive. ... if it was, there wouldn't have been the millions of tests already done on people. New test methods are being developed quickly. If you were working in an environment where you were surrounded by infected people don't you think it would be wise to do some routine testing on health care workers?

Maybe everyone should just ignore CV and not take any precautions and let it "do it's thing".

No, and that is why we don't do that sort of thing with healthcare workers with the one exception being TB testing, which is done yearly. You're only looking at front of the house costs.

Why dont we swab for MRSA?
Why dont we do bloodwork all the time for various bloodborne pathogens?
Why dont we...

Because it would result in massive loss of viable workforce.

If your staff is not showing symptoms, then yearly TB testing is going to be the max, if even that.

Again... Exactly right in my opinion...

There's a whole whole lot more going on with people... Everyday...

And nobody knows it....

Gee I wonder why 2 doctors at the hospital I worked at kept having MRSA infections with their patients ??

It was so common place the infectious disease doctor one evening said and I quote, " it's always the same two guys"... To which I said yep.... That's right... He said, " you know what I mean??". I said yeah sure do... I see the same exact pattern...

Please stay on topic.

I've removed some political commentary and will lock if I have to again.

Please save any opinion on the government and what it can and can't do during a crisis for facebook.

Thank you to those keeping the discussion factual. It is appreciated!

Originally Posted by Ws6

Nobody is ignoring anything.

Rest assured, hospitals aren't taking random tests on healthcare workers if there's no reason to do so. Maybe in NYC, but certainly not the rest of the nation.

Last I knew, 2 there's methods of testing with 1 method being highly unreliable. I'm not sure on their prices, but I am guessing the reliable method is still short supply as more and more patients are being tested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by Ws6

Nobody is ignoring anything.

Rest assured, hospitals aren't taking random tests on healthcare workers if there's no reason to do so. Maybe in NYC, but certainly not the rest of the nation.

Last I knew, 2 there's methods of testing with 1 method being highly unreliable. I'm not sure on their prices, but I am guessing the reliable method is still short supply as more and more patients are being tested.

+
thumbsup2.gif

I'm at one of a group of hospitals within "our" system statewide and beyond.
Not being on the medical side, I don't need to be at the face / patient areas and I can't speak to exact procedures., testing, accountability and mindset here. I used to have reason but not "essential need" to be in the staff or patient areas at times but that changed as this progressed. I'm away from the inflow. I'd have to guess that every test is accounted for and staff at work showing or feeling symptoms would start with a temp check and follow hospital / patient protocol for testing. I know some might think these tests are just lying around in a cabinet or on shelves and a member of staff could just hit up a friend to talk them into administering a test but that is not a very likely scenario. The smallest mis-steps in these work environments can cost a career and even us folk way behind the scenes of the front lines take very seriously, our effective use and utilization without waste for all things related to PPE and such.

My wife started tele-med stuff at the Dr ofc she manages just before we took our vacation mid March (to stay at home as it was) and did Drive-up patient checks and visits.
I secretly wondered if it was the best idea for her to be off but we live 1 mile from her office and as it turns outs, she had everything set up so well ahead of time, Dr came back from 2 weeks in Hawaii all ramped up about everything and she told him to just relax, it was all handled. Even the PPE and such was secured so it didn't disappear or get over used.
They have to date, sent 16 patients as positives to local hospitals and she has had 4 employees with symptoms test negative. She says by Tuesday's all the staff are asking what day of the week it is ? feeling like it must be Friday. Long days and very busy but I'm so proud of her and the group.
She's usually passed out and asleep by 7 or 730 pm.

Originally Posted by M56959
Please stay on topic.

Please save any opinion on the government and what it can and can't do during a crisis for facebook.

Great post and obvious great points ^^^^^^^

Thank you for putting this on here. I mean that sincerely... I really appreciate you posting this and in this way.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Please stay on topic.

Great post and obvious great points ^^^^^^^

Thank you for putting this on here. I mean that sincerely... I really appreciate you posting this and in this way.

This is a thank-less job so I'm just adding another thank you.

Please stay on topic.

With all due respect, while my reply contained commentary on government checks and balances, it had as a foundation factual settled case law.

As far as testing health care workers ... this is the official guideline from the WHO (PDF link below). Read is carefully and you'll see that if anyone falls into the "high risk" category after going through Sections 4 thru 7, then they must be tested for CV and quarantined for 14 days. Doesn't seem to take much to fall into the high risk category.

If health care facilities are actually following these guidelines, and how often they go through the checklist for their workers or not, well that is whole other side discussion.

Recommendations for HCWs at high risk for infection:
- Stop all health care interactions with patients for a period of 14 days after the last day of exposure to a confirmed COVID-19 patient;
- Be tested for COVID-19;
- Quarantine for 14 days in a designated setting.

https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream...-nCov-HCW_risk_assessment-2020.2-eng.pdf

I'll give that a read ZeeOSix .
It will be interesting to me and good to know how WHO fits within guidelines followed here or state to state etc... I hope to get something from it I can ask our staff about or compare notes. The ED manager is a good friend.
Taking a stab at it, decisions are probably made on the fly, real-world conditions, supplies and personnel available, ebb and flow, best practices etc...

I'm not discomforted if indeed, our healthcare system considers how absolutely useless those huge brick buildings are when lacking employees to provide care, comfort and save lives. Meat packing plants and other jobs or services shutting down with hundreds of employee cases isn't good but at least most of them are not Doctors or nurses needed elsewhere. If 'we' lose a few dozen Docs or nurses a week to the 18- day quarantine, probably some form of game over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back