Drive in silence or need some noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good sound system is always one of my focal points when buying a car. Not the first, but definitely in the top 5. With the amount of time I spend driving, I have to have good tunes.

For my Fusion, I have a 16GB USB drive packed with albums that is set on constant randomized playback.

That said, there are times I will turn it off and just drive to the sounds of the road.. but that only makes up about 5-10% of my drive time.

Depends on the day.

Most days I listen to talk radio. Occasionally, I'll listen to music, but I find even "premium" H/K systems in Subarus to be tuned VERY poorly (very boomy or bass-heavy, even at the lowest EQ settings, with muddy mids and raspy highs.)Compared to my headphones at home, I find in-car sound to be pretty pathetic. And I'm not even close to an audiophile. I just don't enjoy knowing that I'm missing TONS of detail in the car.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I drive in silence and I focus all my attention on driving. I picked up a 10 year DMV record report last week and it is spotless.

What happened during year 11!?
13.gif

I'm shocked at silence.

I listen to rock music, old time radio shows, especially the noir crime dramas like Johnny Dollar, sports radio, audio books and occasionally Pandora or I heart radio. I'm mad at XM radio so I only have the basic $5 a month plan.

Sound system in my Camry is not the best. It's acceptable. I have the standard one and the reviews on the upgraded one are not much better.

I need my noise.

The radio in my Dakota went in October 2016 and I was finally able to replace it over Thanksgiving Day weekend that year - longest 2 months of driving in my life.
lol.gif

Radio when parked. Usually AM. WBZ1030.

Sometimes Classical on FM.

NOT when driving unless there is a big news issue I want to hear an update about.

If that " snortin whiskey, drinking cocaine" song comes FM, on Ill end up driving TOO hard and TOO fast.
Bangin' gears and burnin; rubber.

Oopps! forgot to turn the traction control off. ...

I am married.

Silence is an unknown condition in the car when we take a trip. By myself?..yes music or classic radio mystery stories.

When by myself I have my 60's, 70's playlist going. When with the wife I listen to her. After 46 years of marriage that's how it works best for me.

Music , gotta be something or it sucks. Besides, it covers up the tire roar from my POS Sonata with its 💩 tire eating rear end or the piston slap of the 5.3 on my GMC. But at least the GMC is ancient.

Start er up, turn on radio.

Have 4 stations I listen to preprogrammed, when one goes to ads I hit others until I get music.

All 4 on ads? Hit CD player.

I started driving trucks right after high school and retired 2 years ago. Back then most big trucks didn't have radios, power steering or A/C so I spent a lot of time driving with only the sound of the engine and the "singing" of the tires. To this day I rarely turn on the radio in my vehicles. On the other hand, my wife never turns her radio off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Linctex
I've been through my share of Kraco and Audiovox units in the day, LOL!

I remember when I bought my first Pioneer deck (yes, tape cassette) in 1989 - I thought I was REALLY UPTOWN then!!

Now, I only listen once in a while.
My thoughts are loud enough!!

Life has become so complex - - -
I long for the simpler days of "youth".... I had so little to worry about or think about back then.

Yup, i remember those days...

If you were really bad broke = Kraco
If you were just broke = Sparkomatic
If you had an extra $15, = Audiovox all the way.
If you wanted to look Rich = Pyramid
If you were rich, = Pioneer or Kenwood
if you were stupid rich = Nakamichi, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon. Altec-Lansing

I have to have some music going, as tire noise really gets to me. I seem to hear the tires even when the car isn't moving!

I like a variety of noise. Some days I start with the radio off for an hour or so, then play "Liked" music from YouTube, then listen to talk radio (you-know-who), then I get tired of absorbing so much media, and turn it off. I find that a change of stimulii during the day helps keep me alert.

Kenwood deck in my 83 Silverado hasn't worked in 30 yrs, was a nice deck that operated a remote CD player, now the Flowmasters fill in quite nicely. Looking for a repair shop that repairs and upgrades these old Kenwood decks.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Propflux01

Yup, i remember those days...

If you were really bad broke = Kraco
If you were just broke = Sparkomatic
If you had an extra $15, = Audiovox all the way.
If you wanted to look Rich = Pyramid
If you were rich, = Pioneer or Kenwood
if you were stupid rich = Nakamichi, Yamaha, Harmon Kardon. Altec-Lansing

I have to have some music going, as tire noise really gets to me. I seem to hear the tires even when the car isn't moving!

The older your vehicle, the better the sound system has to be!

I had me an Audiovox or three.
smile.gif

Nothing but noise when driving by myself.
My wife hates my music.(all death metal all the time)
My son kicked me into the 21st century
by getting me Spotify.
Alot better than Xm/ Sirius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back