Drinking at work?

A few years ago when the kid took over the business they started having a "beer cart" Friday once a month. At about 3pm they roll around a beer cart with ice cold beer. At first I thought it was a cool but since then it has gotten way out of hand and has turned into nothing but a drunk fest. The big thing now is jello shots and the lady sitting next to me keeps a bottle of Malibu (what ever that is) at her desk and I've seen her pour it into her drinking cup on non beer cart days.

Any one else work for a company that allows this?

I don't partake or I should say I grab a Bud light clamato and take it home, no way I'm taking a chance on driving, I learned my lessen 40 years ago.

seems abit over the top in todays litigious society

I picture little 95# sue sneaking a second beer then kid runs out in front of car nothing you can do even if 100% sober... but Boom company goes out of business.

Back before Sun was acquired by Oracle, we had beer Fridays. The fridge in the breakroom was stocked with beer and we spent the last hour on Fridays enjoying one.

If I work on my birthday, I'm probably having a beer with my lunch. I'm a 200# man. ONE beer at lunch isn't going to move the needle very much.

Sounds like a good way to put a company in a liability suit, either workplace injury or people driving home.

Many years ago, Pratt and Whitney Aircraft had beer machines in the cafeteria; workers were limited by chit to one / day. This is @ a heavy machining complex. Times have changed.

What kind of business is this?

This kind of activity can get out of hand and it sounds like they are already on their way.

An attorney would love having a case where the owner allowed his employees to drink at work and the employee left work drunk and killed someone.

Large U.S. breweries like Anheuser Busch use to allow workers to drink on the job but one too many employees leaving work hurt and killed people.

Absolutely not. Does the company pay for Uber/Lyft rides for them to get home?

Being at work and having drunk people there is good grounds for someone to get hurt, and your business to get sued. Drunk people don't make good decisions, and there could be cases of sexual harassment as well.

A couple years ago I had a guy show up drunk to my desk, I told security and that next week he didn't work there anymore. I think they brought in an independent tester for him.

Sounds like a terrible work culture.

1643409188989.jpg

Was common during the .com boom; I remember seeing cases being wheeled in on Friday afternoons. At a certain point, that needs to end without strict supervision....nothing wrong with a moderate 'social hour', anything further is a huge liability gamble. Also, check your insurance policies....

I had a few manufacturing jobs in the early 1990s where this stuff would occur on 3p-11p shifts. Foremans knew about it and let it happen so long as things didn't get out of control. Was kind of fun then when I was in my early 20s.

I couldn't imagine it now.

A few years ago when the kid took over the business they started having a "beer cart" Friday once a month. At about 3pm they roll around a beer cart with ice cold beer. At first I thought it was a cool but since then it has gotten way out of hand and has turned into nothing but a drunk fest. The big thing now is jello shots and the lady sitting next to me keeps a bottle of Malibu (what ever that is) at her desk and I've seen her pour it into her drinking cup on non beer cart days.

Any one else work for a company that allows this?

I don't partake or I should say I grab a Bud light clamato and take it home, no way I'm taking a chance on driving, I learned my lessen 40 years ago.
I operate new cars, trucks, vans all day. I cannot afford a DUI. I like the Bud Light Clamato though

I used to work at an investment firm (just three years ago) in the accounting office which was located next to the lunch room where they had social gatherings.
Once a month they'd have a "social hour" where investors could come up and enjoy a beer with the team.
I partook once, but decided against it after that.
Just wasn't my style to socialize with co-workers...felt really weird.
I also didn't care for their selection of beverages (If I'm gonna put poison into my body, it at least has to be higher quality poison).

Reminded me of advice I was once given:
"Don't :poop: where you earn a living"

Last edited:
I used to work at an investment firm (just three years ago) in the accounting office which was located next to the lunch room where they had social gatherings.
Once a month they'd have a "social hour" where investors could come up and enjoy a beer with the team.
I partook once, but decided against it after that.
Just wasn't my style to socialize with co-workers...felt really weird. And I didn't care for their selection of beverages (I'm im gonna put poison into my body, it at least has to be higher quality booze).

Reminded me of advice I was once given:
"Don't :poop: where you earn a living"
That was my longterm policy when I was single.
you wont believe the stuff that comes out after breakups between coworkers..
nothing I can mention on bitog but I'm sure everyone has a good imagination.

Back