Drained out 10 yr old Dexcool..

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom talked me into changing out the AF in her 1999 Bonneville today. She bought it used in 2002 with about 35k miles so I'm assuming it had never been changed....it now has 50k miles on it. Anyway I was surprised how good the dexcool looked and especially impressed by the inside of the radiator. No corrosion or anything...looked like new. Replaced with the Peak 50/50 green stuff. I certainly wouldn't recommend leaving it in that long but I am definately impressed by what I seen.

Now my blazer is a different story!

Its supposedly fine as long as air doesn't contact it... Though with the mess I've seen it cause when not maintained and air does get to it... I WILL NOT run it in anything I own.

Originally Posted By: Snafu
What about the air in the overflow tank?

It has to get air in and beat around in a hot enviroment and come in contact with a metal, particularly iron. Air just sitting above it in a plastic container doesn't cause the reaction.

Last edited:
Here's a Quote from Havoline ( The main corrosion inhibitors in Havoline DEX-COOL® Extended Life
Anti-Freeze/Coolant has been shown to remain above 95% of their original concentration after
150,000 miles in automobiles.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back