Drain/Refill 2017 CRV CVT?

Has anyone done the initial CVT fluid change on CRV, AWD? (1.5T) I have not even looked for the plugs yet. Touring model. Sweet car, wife beats on it. 33-37 MPG, hauls stuff camping, held a LOT during the move, hiking trail roads and all. ~60K miles. The change fluids code is lit.....TIA

Amsoil Look-up says 4.5/8.9(total). Will use Amsoil CVT Fluid

EDIT: Spelling, added.

Last edited:
AWD or FWD?

AWD model is about 4.5 qt. There are drain and fill plugs, plus a separate 12mm check plug. Fluid level is supposed to be checked when the fluid is fully warmed up and engine off.

We have an 18 Honda CRV AWD. I haven't changed the CVT fluid yet. But will need to soon. I believe the 2WD takes 3.9 and the AWD takes 4.5 quarts. Honda HCF2 fluid seems to be the general recommendation, which is $10-12 per quart at dealerships near me.

I really wish there was a dipstick, so I can just pull and fill like I do on my Pilot. I still plan to try to use an extractor, but dont know how that will go, and haven't seen anywhere that someone has succesully done this.

EDIT: Here's some handy dandy if for you:

18 CRV maintenance.JPG

Last edited:
We have an 18 Honda CRV AWD. I haven't changed the CVT fluid yet. But will need to soon. I believe the 2WD takes 3.9 and the AWD takes 4.5 quarts. Honda HCF2 fluid seems to be the general recommendation, which is $10-12 per quart at dealerships near me.

I really wish there was a dipstick, so I can just pull and fill like I do on my Pilot. I still plan to try to use an extractor, but dont know how that will go, and haven't seen anywhere that someone has succesully done this.
There is no reason to suck and fill. The drain plug is magnetic and really needs to be cleaned each time. The CVT fluid change is easier than the ATF changes since it is so much easier to refill.

Thanks to Michael The Critic - found the magic check plug. Once he told me, look from underneath - piece of cake.

Really simple drain and refill frankly. Probably the easiest of any car I've owned. I know I have a brew mix in there now with CVT and HCF-2 but the car goes just fine. I would say it shifts just fine, but never really feel it shift either way.

Back