Drain oil when oil is hot or cold??

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing about the hot change is that the cold oil filter threaded onto a hot engine often results in an overtightened oilfilter that is a pain to remove.

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
I drain my hot, as I've done for the last 35++++ years. I feel it holds the contaminents better but I also love the feeling of burning hot oil spilling all over my arms

Hahahahaha..I can relate to that. I do the same thing. Also I dump another half quart down there but this is a very touchy subject also
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
I let the engine cool for about 30 minutes. Oil is still very warm, but I don't get burned by the headers when replacing oil filter.

Why not just do what I do? I drain it hot, right after shutdown, but let it drain for 60-90min. By the time I get to changing the oil filter, it has cooled down completely.

That's a good idea. I just like to get it all done at one time (OCD)
freak2.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

I drain my hot, as I've done for the last 35++++ years. I feel it holds the contaminents better but I also love the feeling of burning hot oil spilling all over my arms

Hahahahaha..I can relate to that. I do the same thing. Also I dump another half quart down there but this is a very touchy subject also
grin.gif

This is a COMPLETE waste of time and natural resources, the oil.

I pour MOST of a new quart thru it....
grin.gif

darrell
sin city

most all engines have nooks and crannies that hold oil, who has seen an engine apart? .Just let it drain untill it stops . Running a quart through is silly.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

quote:

grin.gif

You seem to have ventured into an appendage discussion that I'm not going to comment on or discuss on this site
grin.gif
. You dirty dog. And the "youts" of America think us "old foggies" are long dead and only interested in bingo
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

I agree with Steve. These overnight drains are way too anal. At most, you'll probably get only 5% of the dirty oil that's left in the engine. Hydraulic lifters are only one example of old oil left in the engine that cannot be drained out.

I let it drain for a while, but usually no more than an hour, after I'm finished doing other stuff outside.

I've been draining cold for the last 35 years. Put 285000 on one car, 185000 on another that way.

I don't like leaving old, acid degraded oil in there. Letting the car sit overnight, draining in the morning, gets the most out. Would any of you feel good about changing your oil, then pouring some of the old oil back in with the new oil? I get out the most I can.

In the old days, draining hot was more important. The old screen filters didn't pull anything out of the oil, and the old non detergent oils couldn't keep anything in suspension. Now the filters keep the bigger stuff out, the detergents keep the microscopic stuff in suspension, but the degraded oil is still left in. It is not 1930 anymore.

I doubt if I change anyone else's mind, but my own experience has been good with my approach. Each will do what makes them feel best. I just dont like leaving old oil in with the new oil.

With the oil being HOT I just drain until it becomes a very slow occasional drip, usually about 15 minutes. That method doesn't seem to "hurt" my UOA's. I doubt the amount of time you spend trying to get every last drop of oil out will be significantly beneficial. But that's just me
grin.gif

Whimsey

Ditto. I wonder how many people get anal about draining ALL the old engine oil, yet are satisfied with simply dropping the pan to change transmission fluid or using a turkey baster to change power steering fluid?

bump

wondering if it's worth it to drop the pan on the galant this weekend to clean/check for sludge...
can't wait for the new pan to show up next week from rockauto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back