drain and fill overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2009 nissan versa with the 4 speed auto trans holds 8.2 quarts total. When using the ATF drain plug, I can drain a little over 4 quarts. I have been doing a single drain and fill once a year (3-total) with Mobil 1.

Should I switch to a drain and fill every 2 years as I will be replacing nearly half the synthetic mobil 1 ATF each year?

My wife drives about 13-14k a year.

Last edited:
2 years should be just fine, with those parameters..
Maybe you were a little over conscientious to this point, but no harm done.

I'd do 1 drain n fill, then drive around for a week (100 miles or so) and then do one more.

That should get most of the old fluid out and give it enough time to let the new fluid do a bit of cleanup.

Then you can proceed not to worry about it for at least 2-3 years or 60,000 miles.

I feel flushing it on a yearly basis is too frequent. If you're only putting 14k on the fluid, that's like changing your engine oil every 700 miles...

Since you're using M1 synthetic, which is quite expensive and a VERY good tranny fluid, I'd definitely be running it longer... Much longer. My 98 Camry is going on 3 years and a good 70k miles on M1 tranny juice. Shift quality is perfect and the fluid is still pretty pink on the dipstick.

Just my
49.gif

I do one drain a year. A drain is 1/3 of total. So at 3 years I have some atf older, and some newer which avgs the required 30k. You can do something like that for yours, sounds like one drain every other year.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I'd do 1 drain n fill, then drive around for a week (100 miles or so) and then do one more.

That should get most of the old fluid out and give it enough time to let the new fluid do a bit of cleanup.

shocked2.gif
He's done 3 drain and fills already on a 2 year old car. What on earth is there to clean up!

Personally, I think the 'frequent single drain a fill' is a better way to go rather than multiple flushes at longer intervals, but I'd agree that 14K is a bit much, particularly since a drain and fill is half of the fluid on this car. Since there's almost all M1 in there already, I'd just stick to doing a drain and fill every 25-28K, or every 2 years w/that mileage. I think the shortest interval I'd do is 20K.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: Artem

shocked2.gif
He's done 3 drain and fills already on a 2 year old car. What on earth is there to clean up!

Personally, I think the 'frequent single drain a fill' is a better way to go rather than multiple flushes at longer intervals, but I'd agree that 14K is a bit much, particularly since a drain and fill is half of the fluid on this car. Since there's almost all M1 in there already, I'd just stick to doing a drain and fill every 25-28K, or every 2 years w/that mileage. I think the shortest interval I'd do is 20K.

He has hit the threshold where its more economical to go to the dealer for a flush and fill. To be a "drainer" you need to accept that you'll never get it all.

Whenever I switch to a different ATF, I do 2 or 3 drain and fills initially so that I have at least 90% of the new stuff. After that, I do a drain and fill every year, or every 20,000 miles (whichever comes first).

My reasoning:

- quality synthetic ATF isn't totally spent until at least 50K miles under most driving conditions

- at 20K miles, the ATF is still in excellent shape, and replacing 35% to 50% with a drain and fill keeps it that way

- replacing 4 to 5 quarts and cleaning the drain plug magnet every 20K helps to minimize wear particles circulating in the fluid

Just sharing what has worked for me.

Do you know if the 2009 Versa has a problem transmission?

If not, all the recommendations are good, and you are still under warranty too.

You would be suprised how many late model cars, just out of warranty, go through the auto auction because the owner couldnt afford a $4 or $5K repair.

Also, besides a drain, taking the pan off so you can see how much material is on the magnet (hopefully nothing would be visible on the pan bottom) is a good indicator of the wear and condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back