Dr. Colorchip...

Looking to get touch up paint for our Pyrite Silver Jetta. I've heard Dr. Colorchip has a good system but I see 4 options on their site. The basic one uses a typical touch up brush then you smear the paint in the chip with your finger. The higher tier kits use a squeegee. Does anybody have experience with Dr. Colorchip? Which kit should I get. Thanks!

Basic kit works fine. 👍

Larry Kosilla has a good video on how to be more effective with a factory touch up pen. You could also have a local shop mix you up a small batch.

I have it and just use the smear method...you can use a flat piece of plastic too. I have had good luck with it...The paint they give you does not need a clear coat ..it is blended into the paint....

Been using TouchUpDirect with good results. ;)

I've used Dr. Colorchip for years on all our cars. It's ideal for small rock chips. The more expensive kits have the ampules and plastic scraper, which do come in handy. The ampule is better at applying small drops of paint than a brush is.

Dr. Colorchip is a solid product.

Scott

I've used Dr. Colorchip for years on all our cars. It's ideal for small rock chips. The more expensive kits have the ampules and plastic scraper, which do come in handy. The ampule is better at applying small drops of paint than a brush is.

Dr. Colorchip is a solid product.

Scott
I’m leaning toward the higher end kit.

I’ve just used a toothpick with regular touch up paint instead of the brush on rock chips. I’ve heard good things about Dr Colorchip though.

I used Dr. Colorchip on my last 5 new cars. It works great. Sometimes I miss removing a smear for weeks and it still comes off with the solution.

I have used Dr. Colorchip twice. Both times on metallic paint. On one car the color was noticeably lighter, on the other it was noticeably darker. And I made sure that the paint was very well stirred. It did work as advertised, other that the color disparity.
I do find their recommended technique of smearing the paint blob with a gloved finger to be just plain dumb. I had a little leftover silicone squeegee that was supplied with a cell phone screen protector kit and used that instead. It worked very well. They should supply something like that with their basic kit considering what it costs. You may need two applications with deep chips. It's better not to try and fill in a deep chip with a thick blob, but to use a fine artists brush to get a base coat down into the chip below the surface, let it dry overnight and then add another coat per the directions and bring it up even with the surface.

I have used this kit before and posted on this thread:

I used the base kit. Filled the scratch and then wiped down with the supplied solvent. It really is a 3 foot repair, but the metal is protected and not really visible unless you are looking for it.

I couldn’t get it to work. Every time when I use the solution and the supplied tool it takes the paint out of the chip. Tried many times, it just doesn’t seem possible

Back