Double-Super-Secret 5W-40 Audi RS4 Racing Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

E36: I have no desire to return to one of the 502 approved oils, since BioSyn dropped my wear by 3:1 and increased my oil lifetime by at least 2:1. However, there are other owners, who are analyzing their oil with Terry Dyson, that have chosen to stay with 502 oil. In all cases, wear is significantly higher at all engine mileages we can compare at. We have multiple engines that changed to BioSyn at various mileages, including 2K, 5K, 10K and 15K miles, which can be used to crosscheck BioSyn wear numbers, and provide a point of comparison to other oil types in other RS4 engines.

We currently have 57 total UOA sample points (15 for BioSyn) across 17 RS4s, from 600 to 30,000 miles.

That makes complete sense, thanks for the response.

Quote:

RI_RS4,

So, you have tested 5W40 & SAE40. Any plans to continue testing other grades with winter approaching and going to the "thin" side of 40?.......

I would also be interested in the answer to this question.

RI_RS4 and Terry, thanks for all of the biosyn information. I'm planning to change from Mobil 1 Ext. Life 5W30 to RLI 0W30, but I noticed that the RI_RS4 flavor carries the HD designation. My '06 Honda Civic Si is calling for a 10,000 mile OCI with 0W30, so I'd prefer RLI's hardiest oil in an attempt to attain that drain interval.

I'm sure I'm not the only person following this thread that's interested in what difference the HD designation signifies in RLI's motor oils. Do either of you know? Thanks.

Id never go to a 10K OCI no matter what the oil company or vehicle's owner's manuel said, unless u wanna
crushedcar.gif
to your engine and car. Just my .02

Tackleberry625, there are plenty of UOA's here that would suggest otherwise on the 10K mile OCI. However, that stated for the record, I also do not leave my oil in for that long. 7500 miles has been my limit.
wink.gif

Quote:

Id never go to a 10K OCI no matter what the oil company or vehicle's owner's manuel said, unless u wanna
crushedcar.gif
to your engine and car. Just my .02

Which is why I want to use the best oil and filter I can, and will do a UOA long before approaching 10k. If the actual, UOA-proofed OCI coincides with Honda's, so much the better for me, my wallet, my engine, and the planet.

Terry kindly emailed me about the HD difference:

"The difference between the RLI PCMO formulas and HD formulas are TBN and extra EP/AW adds for the HD chemistries. We are currently testing the PCMO formulas for use in longer drain applications with good results. Meaning the TBN is very stable and wear control exceptional.

Since your Civic 2.0 I4 SI can go as far as 10,000 in normal drains by the owners manual I agree the PCMO 0w30, or 5w30 may be used with confidence. The duration of use must be validated with used oil analysis or you are guessing…. and that applies to any motor oil. My concern for the longer drains in the Honda fuel MAP design is fuel dilute impacting the duration of use. I must say that the BIOSYN formulas are exceptional at resisting aromatics ( fuel ) damage even with flash depleted by the Honda design."

He had more to say, but that's pretty much it. RLI VP Bill Garmier also emailed me (he actually forwarded my email to Terry). I'll be calling in an order tomorrow.

I would agree with a previous post from Stoic in that I would like to see Red Line in this analysis.

Your comments regarding the impending doom of these engines is significant. This engine is slated to be in many Audi products in the future.

Slightly off topic, but from the way the motor oils are looking, I would assume that RLI trans and diff oils are top notch. Am I wrong? If not, the RL will come out and RLI will go in. BOT, I'm seriously considering running RLI 5w40 in my turbo'd miata. I'm really getting into their products...I love this forum and the info it contains. Currently, I have 1 OC's worth of RL 10w40. I'm coming off an Auto-RX flush and will be pouring in the RL this time, but will probably try RLI next OC. I guess I'll be enlisting your help with some UOA's, Terry
smile.gif

I exchanged emails with Terry and spoke with Bill Garmier about RLI's gear lube. I had a long talk with Bill about his company, experience, and oils, and Terry's emails have been very helpful. RLI 0W30 and 75W90 GL-5 LS will be in my '06 Honda Civic Si soon, and Terry will be doing UOAs on both fluids.

After reading all 19 pages...is there a reason why you wanted a 40 weight?

After all, it seemed like the Biosyn is close to a 50 weight. Why not try a Castrol 5w/50? or a Castrol TWS 10w/60? (I am not a Castrol fan).

My motor (10 years of technology behind your RS4 4.2l) a S62 (BMW E39 M5 4.9l) is doing a dynoed 430 hp at the crank (360 RWHP)...my UOAs with the 10w/60 are better than the newer Audi motor...why not try a "thicker" oil? Have you seen the size of my Vanos chains and how they like to shear oil...:)

M
cheers2.gif

The HP # is not the reason for the RLI, fuel dilution is. As such, the oil has to be able to handle the fuel & not be destroyed. A "thicker" oil will be destroyed in short manner just as a "thin" oil will. The answer is to use different chemistry for aromatic control (fuel) which he is doing. Or, are you saying that a thicker RLI oil would help?

Can we get some of the fuel dilution resistance benefits at lower cost by mixing one of the BioSyn oils with an over-the-counter oil? What might be a good candidate?

Quote:

After reading all 19 pages...is there a reason why you wanted a 40 weight?

After all, it seemed like the Biosyn is close to a 50 weight. Why not try a Castrol 5w/50? or a Castrol TWS 10w/60? (I am not a Castrol fan).

My motor (10 years of technology behind your RS4 4.2l) a S62 (BMW E39 M5 4.9l) is doing a dynoed 430 hp at the crank (360 RWHP)...my UOAs with the 10w/60 are better than the newer Audi motor...why not try a "thicker" oil? Have you seen the size of my Vanos chains and how they like to shear oil...:)

M
cheers2.gif

drallen, all of oil selection was done with the professional consultation of Terry Dyson. If he had made the suggestion to use Castrol TWS I would have used it.

Taking this a little further, is there any merit in the idea of RLI designing an oil, all HOBS and additives, designed to mix with 3 or 4 quarts of a particular over-the-counter oil? The result could have similar performance to RLI's current oils and save a lot in shipping costs. And RLI could easily get $15 a quart for it.

From a business standpoint, making a concentrated, additive type product would be foolish for RLI, and to be honest, I don't see much value for end users, either. RLI's oil doesn't cost that much more per quart than the top tier PCMOs of their competition, and over time, it may costs less due to the increasing price of conventional oil.

Technically, it may be possible (I'll defer to others with far more knowledge than I to say whether it would be or not), but I'd think it would be difficult to attain a given outcome unless RLI developed a specific product designed to work with a specific non-RLI oil. Again, I don't really see the value for RLI or end users. I'll also add that the OP said he gave Terry Dyson full technical control of his project, and if Terry had recommended, say five quarts of Redline oil and one of an RLI product, he'd probably have done exactly as directed.

Hopefully this will create some new discussion. For those that are interested, here is a complete UOA record for my RS4 from day 1, including the latest RLI BioSyn 40W HD oil. I'll be off the grid at Mont Tremblant doing some "spirited driving", so I will not be able to answer questions. However, Terry Dyson has given the go ahead to race the latest oil, which has 6500 miles on it.

All analysis and consulting was performed by Dyson Analysis.

RLI SAE 40 HD

Audi%20RS4%20UOA.jpg

Well, TBN retention is not a problem.
smile.gif

I feel fairly confident in saying that a UOA with 40 minutes is the shortest duration for a vehicle UOA on this board.

Ok, what's up with the huge increse in sulfated byproducts? I know oxidation jumps with RLI but sulfur?

10L sump is nice but you are still dealing with a lot of fuel!

What oil & air filters are you using? Change intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back